PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastelist in a Soft Pastel Workshop

ColorMyWorld
03-08-2006, 10:05 PM
I work in OPs and am considering taking a plein air workshop.
What caught my interest was his use of a high-key palette, his style and the rest of the course description:
How to isolate a portion of the landscape.
Executing an accurate but loose drawing
Demos in using color
Using a watercolor underpainting

Here's the instructor's website: http://www.parduestudio.com/about/index.htm

I asked if he would accept an OPer in the class and his response was that he didn't know how much I'd get out of the class as all his demos would be in soft pastel.

My feeling is that what interests me in the workshop is not dependant on the medium and I should be fine taking the class.

What are your thought?

PeggyB
03-09-2006, 03:20 AM
I think I'd hope someone who's already taken a Jack Pardue workshop will answer your question. They should be better able to address you concerns as they will know how he runs his workshops. My first thought was that the demos will be in pastel and the method of applying the medium to paper is very different from that of oil pastel.

You might be more direct by telling Jack exactly what you want to accomplish, what interests you in the course description, and then he may better advise you.

Peggy

Bringer
03-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi Ann,

I suppose that in the workshop you'll learn not only soft pastel proper techniques as other issues that will relate to painting in general terms.
Recently I've started working with oils and I have oil painting lessons.
I find that it has developed my skills, not only in the oils field but also with pastels.
Working or trying more than one medium opens new horizons that can relate with each other, in my opinion.

Best regards,

Josť

mimitabby
03-09-2006, 05:50 PM
I've noticed that when i talk to some folks who do chalkies, their reactions are rather odd when i tell them i've bought oil pastels. one asked me what i do with the "pills" ???

Tracy Lang
03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Ann,
Sounds like a neat workshop...I don't know a thing about OP's and why the instructor thought you may not get much out of it...perhaps he misunderstood that you were much more interested in the whole plein air aspect as opposed to the medium. If it were me, I'd pick up an inexpensive set of pastels to stick in my bag and go for it :)

Tracy

ColorMyWorld
03-09-2006, 11:11 PM
You've all given me something to think about. Thanks!

MChesleyJohnson
03-15-2006, 06:44 PM
When I teach my workshops, I welcome any plein air medium -- with the caveat that if it's not a medium I'm familiar with, then I won't be able to address issues specific to the medium, such as medium application, surfaces, etc. However, that's only perhaps 10% of what a student learns from me. I teach painting -- period. All of the principles of outdoor landscape painting apply for every medium.

On the other hand, I also do a demo each day, sometimes twice a day (time permitting.) An oil painter might find a pastel demo boring; and a pastel painter might find an oil demo boring. Especially when the demonstrator gets to the phase of applying certain techniques to lay down color. Soft pastel will be applied differently from oil pastel, and thus may be of less interest to someone who paints only in oil pastel.