PDA

View Full Version : holy cow, pastel heaven

mimitabby
03-07-2006, 10:01 PM
did you ever get into something way over your head, like an expensive sports car, you didn't know what to do with all the buttons and gears, you can't afford the insurance, you just don't know...
I just got 162 Holbein pastels, almost no duplicates. what an array of colors!
what do you do with all of them? they are SO intimidating. There are all these
very sophisticated colors, dozens of reds, dozens of browns (all those flesh tones!!) a bunch of blues and greens. I got a couple of boxes from Dakota
and they are only big enough for the box of reds and purples and the box of browns and greys. i still need a blue box and a green box!
I am already well on my way to having a multicolored keyboard and i have to cut my nails.
I had just finally figured out a nice way to set myself up where i can sit and draw, but NOW, i have all these millions of pastels to deal with. They take up the whole table!:confused::confused::confused::confused: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :clap::clap::clap:
thank you all for listening.

CindyW
03-07-2006, 10:14 PM
what do you do with all of them? they are SO intimidating.
You take a big sheet of paper and pick 10 of 'em and you screech 'em out across the paper and get them used to your fingers!! Then you take the next 10 and have THEM get used to the paper...:lol: :lol: :lol: !! I say take those beauties for a fast ride on the paper highway! LOL! Have a BLAST!!! What a most fabulous package to receive in the mail. :D
Cindy

KA Obee
03-07-2006, 10:42 PM
How exciting!!!! You should post of picture of them on the "pictures of new pastel sets" thread.
Last year I got a full set of Hoblein pastels in a wood case. I have a bunch of other little sets I use much more often for some reason though. The pretty box they came in has made them very intimidating to me.
I ordered a large Heilman box this week (big splurge!) so I can keep all my different pastels in one place. I'm hoping getting them out of their "special box" will help make them less intimidating. Although now all my pastels will be in a really 'special box'! But at least this box will be open all the time. Easy acess makes for much more painting time for me.
KA

mimitabby
03-07-2006, 11:40 PM
KA
where did you get your box? you'll see shortly that i am in need of one.
I now have 6 separate, no 7 different holders for my pastels!

K Taylor-Green
03-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Mimi, What a very delicious delemma! Have fun.

dlake
03-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Well, the first thing you do is get out your camera, take a picture and post it so we can see and drool.
diane

fortysomething
03-08-2006, 07:25 AM
... I am already well on my way to having a multicolored keyboard ...

I think I am also confused. Mimitabby, are you using a piano as an "art center?" What a brilliant idea! I am thinking piano bench. Our old upright had a bench with a lid that opened for storage. They're quite roomy inside, but not very portable.

You could line the interior with foam. It's available by the yard, and not very expensive. The Cami upholstery glue is also removable when it's used on one surface. I found both at www.beaconfabric.com (http://www.beaconfabric.com/). Just an idea.

All those colors are intoxicating, aren't they? Sometimes I sit and just look at them.

Tressa
03-08-2006, 08:07 AM
I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! I have to try to consolidate a FULL MONTY set of GA I just got for my birthday, into a full set of Holbeins I got for Xmas, along with the full set of Art Spectrums!!!
WOW! Talk about Pastel Heaven!!:eek:

Donna A
03-08-2006, 11:16 PM
did you ever get into something way over your head, like an expensive sports car, you didn't know what to do with all the buttons and gears, you can't afford the insurance, you just don't know...
what do you do with all of them? they are SO intimidating.

Nawwwww---this is time for celebrating!!!!! I promise!!!!! I remember when I got my full set of Senns and my full set of Giraults, Great American, Unisons, Art Spectrums, etc!!!!!

There are all these very sophisticated colors, dozens of reds, dozens of browns (all those flesh tones!!) a bunch of blues and greens. I got a couple of boxes from Dakota and they are only big enough for the box of reds and purples and the box of browns and greys. i still need a blue box and a green box!
I am already well on my way to having a multicolored keyboard and i have to cut my nails.
I had just finally figured out a nice way to set myself up where i can sit and draw, but NOW, i have all these millions of pastels to deal with.
TO SERVE YOU!!
They take up the whole table:confused::confused::confused::confused: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :clap::clap::clap:
thank you all for listening.
Darlin'-----just get more tables!!!! That's what I did!!! Hey---who's counting!!!! I've got over 4700 sticks of pastels---most alllll colors from all the pro brands on the planet. You can do it!!! Really!!! I promise! All you need is to want to----AND you do!!! I can tell----even from here! Best wishes!!!! Donna ;-}

mimitabby
03-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I think I am also confused. Mimitabby, are you using a piano as an "art center?" What a brilliant idea! I am thinking piano bench. Our old upright had a bench with a lid that opened for storage. They're quite roomy inside, but not very portable.

All those colors are intoxicating, aren't they? Sometimes I sit and just look at them.

Hi, no, i meant the keyboard for my computer because i am getting OP's in my fingernails, on my fingers, etc.. and i keep running back to the computer to type another something...
I don't have a piano, nor room for several tables. and hahaha my husband thought i'd travel with pastels. I think i'll just take the digital camera and when i get home i'll pull out the pastels.

thanks all
:wink2:

fortysomething
03-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Ah. A computer keyboard. Since I have one in front of me when I visit here, you'd think I might have made the connection... :o :lol: Oh well, at least my imagination is intact, even if my brain isn't. :wave:

KA Obee
03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi Mimi,
I got my Heilman pastel box from this site: http://www.heilmandesigns.com/new_page_5.htm
They build them themselves and they are supposed to be wonderful! It should be arriving tomorow or Saturday. I can't wait! The box that my Hobleins came in is actually very pretty though, just not practical for me.
K.A.

Khadres
03-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Darlin'-----just get more tables!!!! That's what I did!!! Hey---who's counting!!!! I've got over 4700 sticks of pastels---most alllll colors from all the pro brands on the planet. You can do it!!! Really!!! I promise! All you need is to want to----AND you do!!! I can tell----even from here! Best wishes!!!! Donna ;-}

I am soooooo glad you've come along! Linda and I no longer have to feel like the ultimate pastel gluttons! Or at least now we can share the title with you! I agree....there is no such thing as too many sticks!

Tressa
03-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi Mimi,
I got my Heilman pastel box from this site: http://www.heilmandesigns.com/new_page_5.htm
They build them themselves and they are supposed to be wonderful! It should be arriving tomorow or Saturday. I can't wait! The box that my Hobleins came in is actually very pretty though, just not practical for me.
K.A.

That is the box I have!!! I bought mine at Albert's workshop!!
You are gonna LOVE it!!!:D

Tres

Pat Isaac
03-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Aren't they luscious, Mimi? and to think that Holbein has a set of over 200 OPs. You can never collect as many as the soft pastellist as they just don't make that many.
Have fun.....
Pat

KA Obee
03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm dying to find out if my pastel box has arrived!!!!
Ihave tickets to the Billy Joel concert tonight, but all I can think about is that silly pastel box!
Talk about obsessive. I'm over the edge.
KA

Donna A
03-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I am soooooo glad you've come along! Linda and I no longer have to feel like the ultimate pastel gluttons! Or at least now we can share the title with you! I agree....there is no such thing as too many sticks!
Hee hee hee! :-) Thanks! I'm glad to be here, too! And YES!!! NEVER toooo many sticks!!! :-) Talk about pastel heaven!

But I must say---I was taught a very gorgeous lesson by on of the artists who had just started to study with me several years ago. Her husband had gone back to school and they were living on her modest salary----and having to be ever so careful about expenditures. She came with just a box of 12 pastels, then also received 3 more as doorprizes at one of the MidAmerica Pastel Society meetings. Glory be---the THINGS she could weave together out of 15 sticks!!!! Wow! Just gorgeous! She now has a full set of Art Spectrums and Rembrandts and a few of Terry's and some others odds and ends----and she is doing very beautiful pieces----still with her wonderful weaving as well as other ways of applying.

I do think it's sooo important that we don't think quantity makes quality! NOPE!!! Absolutely not!!! It's still all about how you use it (as they say!) :-)

It's delicious when we add to our possibilities (that is, get more pastels!) Know what everyone means about waiting waiting waiting waiting for the new "toys" to arrive! Ohhhh, yes!!!! :-)

And then----have you all noticed how HARD it can be to begin "messing up" those beauties!!! Ain't thet practically heart-breaking for a while!!!! :-) They're soooo purty when they arrive! BUT----did have to say to someone the other day (same lecture I use on myself) "they are going to be even more beautiful up there on a painting! Have at it!" :-)

Well----have some more fun, everyone!!! Donna ;-}

Tressa
03-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Donna, LOL.. I know what you mean. The best advice I ever got, was to drool over them for an hour, and then start breaking them, and put them in my box, then, they become paint, not this lovely rainbow to just gaze at.