PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble March 6 Thru 12

K Taylor-Green
03-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Morning everyone! Welcome to the scumble, our weekly chat thread. Here we talk about our selves, and get to know each other. So come in and visit with us!

Woke up to a light covering of snow on the ground that will probably be gone by afternoon. It is supposed to warm up and rain some. Typical March weather.
I don't imagine that winter is ready to die yet.

Boy did we have some bonfire Saturday! Jess burned the pile we had collected over the past few monthes, and then went around the horse pastures cleaning out dead stuff from the fence rows. We had a huge fire going from late afternoon til midnight. We sat around it about 9:00 eating pizza! It was pretty cold out, but we both love bonfires. Had to eat the pizza pretty fast!:eek:

dlake
03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey Kate. We had snow too. And now it's light snowing outside again. I am so ready for spring. I have wistful thoughts of my garden and plants...sigh.
It's been kinda boring the last few weeks and I'm feeling restless. Been painting and drawing alot to kill the boredom of end of winter. This has been harder to get through than other years. Oh well, in a month I'm sure I'll have been out and smiling and opening the doors for fresh air. I must bide my time and keep my spirits up.
diane

K Taylor-Green
03-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to get my gardening started. I've got greenery coming up from my daylillies, blackberry lillies, and iris's.
Got a lot of work to do when it warms a bit. Lots of pruning to do. And I can't wait to see my Wisteria take off. Jess got it for me last Spring for our anniversary, and it grew like crazy! Course, it won't bloom for a while. That will be a sight!
Boredom isn't a problem this year. I have 3 shows coming up, plus new work to do for the art consulting firm that I just signed with.
But I have felt the end of winter doldrums in other years, and know what it is like. Feel for you, girl.

Bill Foehringer
03-06-2006, 12:30 PM
It's still snowin' here. The fog is falling out of the sky as a fine snow. I have worjk to do also. When the rest of the possessions are removed by my nephew I'll be able to reclaim my studio space. This time around I don't want it to be a multi-use room. It will be just for art. BillF

K Taylor-Green
03-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Yes Bill, cause you know how much you need that. I don't know what I'd do without my own space, even if it is open to the rest of the house.

chewie
03-06-2006, 01:40 PM
hi all! we've had some nasty cold winds this past week, but today is just glowing! very shortly i'm going to make a date with a saddle!

things are finally slowed down to a livable pace. i was working too many job, too many hours at each one. i've finished some, quit some, and now settling into my new 'reg'. schedule. and its working out really well, giving me plenty of time for art, finally!!!! here's a pix i took this week. my husband built this cart and finished it only hours before the pix was taken. those are my daughters in it with him, being pulled by our old but sassy mare. she was more worried about the other horses by that barn than where they wanted her to go!

looking forward to spring also, to get that new french easel i bought all dirty!! i won't do much of a garden, i really gave it my all last year, and still had nothing come of it. our dirt here is referred to as 'gumbo', its very hard and claylike. i spent tons of time and cash to try making it work, but have now decided to hit a farmer's stand instead!! if the plants actually come up, the hoppers eat it before its even ripe, so i give up! i'm not much into it anyhow, so i'm not too broke up by it all. there are some flowers that do ok, so we'll do that instead, but still on a very small scale.

have a great week all!

chewie
03-06-2006, 01:45 PM
hmm, can't get the picture in here. maybe try later...

khourianya
03-06-2006, 02:00 PM
We're having sporadic internet outages at work today and it is driving me buggy! :D I have been trying to check my admissions status at the university. I'm not sure if I told you all, but I am going to be starting my Bachelor of Professional Arts in Communications Studies. The plan is to complete it in a couple of years via distance learning. I am already a student att he school and so far, I have managed to get them to change my major for me. Now I am just trying to figure out what they need next from me and these outages are making that very difficult. Oh well, maybe it'll be a good excuse to gof or a walk at noon - down to the calgary campus office...lol

I finally got new glasses this weekend. 2 pairs!!!! FINALLY - no more looking through puppy chew marks. I had been wearing an old pair of specs for work, but they were not my current prescription and I was in dire need. Now I should be set for a while. I got one pair for work and another pair for when I need something a bit fancier for goingo ut. I am still quite excited.

Anyway - if this got through, it means I temporarilly have internet. Of course, I see that WC is sposed to go down in thishour so hopefully I don't hit submit, right as it goes offline....

Bill Foehringer
03-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Yep, I figure wife gets the most rest of the house to call her own (lol), daughter has her room, so I should have a space of my own. To say nothing of my intention that eventually my paintings will generate some income. This art business will require more and more of my time and the most efficient way to go about that is to have a dedicated space. I'll need an area to do the business of art. Making contacts, keeping up correspondence, keeping records, packaging, framing, etc.
BillF

Mary Robinson
03-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Hello Everyone,

I've missed you, I see some familiar faces and some new ones, also noticed some old friends missing from the threads. Husband and I are still traveling about the country in our 18 wheeler. Though he did take me on a cruise to the Bahamas in Feb (will post pics soon as I can downsize them). Dee we finally ended up with 20 acres in Oklahoma, surrounded by lakes, thank you for the help. I'm already planning my studio. I get on to nose around the soft pastel studio every once in a while, Sandy you are doing so well, your work has really blossomed. My husband also got me a toy fox terrier because I missed my puppies so much (German Shepards), not much room in the truck for those two. She's an odd little thing, eats like a rottweiler (non-stop) and loves cats, as you can see by the enclosed picture. Her name is Baby, she thinks she is a Princess and the cat is Jax, three times bigger than she is, which doesn't bother her much at all as you can see. Haven't had much time for painting though I plan on dragging them out the next time we visit my sister-in-law, so perhaps I'll have a chance to post something then. Mikki, Canyonlands is beyond beautiful, I love the play of light, you go girl! Hope to stop back in soon.

Mary

K Taylor-Green
03-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Mary, wow! It is so very good to see you!! I've wondered how you are! Sounds like things are going very well for you. Love the photo. Great companions you have!

Artistammy
03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Please pray for my mini schnauzer furbaby Angel. This morning when we were playing, the tug rope hit her eye tumor & tore it open some. The vet said he thought it wouldn't heal well & it was time to remove it. They're just going to give her gas to keep from causing the auto-immune to act up. I sure hope this is the right thing to do. I was scared when she started bleeding more than she has before. I'll go pick her up sometime after 3.
I think Spring is mostly here now in our area. I get excited about gardening in the spring but then I just want to paint & not maintain anything. :rolleyes:
Bill, we do need some space to leave our art business....not have to move around & pick it up. I'm glad you're going to get that back.
Tammy

Khadres
03-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Tammy, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little Angel! It's so terrible when our "babies" are hurting! How long has she had the tumor? I hope it doesn't affect her eyesight too much. Give her a hug for me!

scall0way
03-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Well I just got around to reading *last* week's scumble, which I never even posted to. Where does time go. Lots of fun stuff and some sad stuff. Let's hope things go better and better. Tammy, good luck with Angel and let us know how she makes out. I was chuckling reading about Sooz's dog (I think Sooz) having to wear a cone. My dog Maggie was given a cone a couple times, but no matter what the vet did we could never keep it on her head longer than about an hour. She always managed to get it off by then. I hope we don't have to face any more in her future, though at 14 1/2 I have to assume there is not a whole lot of future left, even though she still races around like a pup.

I've been busy with my dad. He has been okayed for shunt surgery for his NPH condition, but first has to be medically cleared after a bladder infection, and everything is "hurry up and wait". So frustrating when you want to move and get things accomplished.

Other than that things are fine me. My son finally took the NY and NJ bar exams the end of February. He does not get results until May sometime, but is job-hunting in the meantime. This weekend the Montclair Art Museum will be hanging a show for the students of Alex Piccirillo, my Master Pastelist art instructor - and the show will be up six weeks. That should be fun and we will have an opening reception this Sunday. Art classes end next week, but then the spring semester classes start the beginning of April.

Alex says he will be teaching two pastel classes this summer, one for "beginning pastels" which he feels we are all too advanced for, and one on pastel portraiture. I might just have to take that, even though my interest in portraiture is even less than my interest in life drawing. :)

dlake
03-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I've been trying to keep from going insane as the last of winter hangs on. anxious for spring, to clean my yard, do outside stuff like raking and such. Anxious for plants to come and enjoy my garden. Wash my car. Take my easel on the porch and paint. Just be outside and feel the warm sun on my face and breath the fresh air. I am so ready that being inside with the icky winter is driving me nuts with boredom...
I think we all are bored and restless.
Maybe I'll start thinking about what color to paint the livingroom since I'm planning to do this shortly...

Tatijana
03-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Tammy, hope your little one is ok, we do get attached to them critters....

happened upon the front page of wetcanvas somehow, where they have everything, everybody listed and noticed there is a listing for the folks with birthdays today. I dont know everybody in the pastel studios, but i did recognize the name of - artistammy/tammy
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAMMY
notice- i've even made the effort to use capitals, just for your bday!

chewie
03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
ooh, tammy, hoping your pup is ok. seems like alot of the animals of our pastel ppl here are having issues. almost as bad as human children!

i'm have a bad time uploading lately, hoping i can get our little cart my hubby built, as per my earlier post. here goes... and sorry if it don't work!! i'll stop if it don't! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2006/6679-new_cart.jpg

Artistammy
03-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Tatijana, thanks for the birthday wish. Sooz, I gave Angel her hug. She's home & doing well. A little subdued but she doesn't need to be trying to play. I'll be praying & crossing my fingers that she doesn't need a cone. How first mini got outside & hit by a car while wearing one. We will always wonder if that crazy thing obstructed her hearing & vision & contributed to her going in the street.
Chewie, that looks like a nice cart.
Thanks for all the prayers & best wishes for Angel everyone.
Tammy

dlake
03-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm so sad. My baby cat, Fluff has been missing for 2 days. I hurt. We have 2 cats and a dog. tia, the dog, has made my hubby her people. tiger owns my son, eric. Fluff is my cat. He's never been gone like this. I am so worried and I hope so much he comes home. I hope nothing bad has happened.
this is his picture
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2006/73610-000_0417.JPG

Artistammy
03-09-2006, 09:29 PM
I'll be praying for your cat to come home. I know what it's like to lose a pet that's attatched to you.
Tammy

Khadres
03-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Glad Angel is better and Happy Birthday! I knew there had to be at least one other early March b.d. in here somewhere!

Diane, I'll be sending good vibes to your kitty and hoping he finds his way home alright...sometimes they do just wander afield and someone tries to take them in thinking they're a stray...don't give up on him. I'm really hoping he gets home soon!

Tracy Lang
03-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Oh, Diane, I hope your kitty Fluff has just been having an adventure and is on his way home to you...I know all too well that sick feeling of worry.

For all whose dog has needed or may need a cone, I found a "soft collar" type for my dog...it's worn around the neck and doesn't block the ears and eyes...it sticks out kind of like a bozo collar, comes in different sizes, is adjustable and is alot more flexible/giving than the traditional cone (which drove my girl CRAZY) while still doing the job. It saved our sanity!
I don't have the info at my fingertips, but if anyone is interested, just PM me.

My husband has been out of the country this past week and while I miss him, I was also looking forward to getting a bunch of stuff done...not that he's high maintenance, just that ...you know! Well, where does the time go? LOL

I'm taking a workshop ( My first ever!) this Saturday and I can't wait!
Linky:http://www.scartsupply.com/Alicia%20Sotherland/Techniques%20in%20Pastel.htm
I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes!

Tracy

Elaine B
03-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Morning everyone! Welcome to the scumble, our weekly chat thread. Here we talk about our selves, and get to know each other. So come in and visit with us!

Woke up to a light covering of snow on the ground that will probably be gone by afternoon. It is supposed to warm up and rain some. Typical March weather.
I don't imagine that winter is ready to die yet.

Boy did we have some bonfire Saturday! Jess burned the pile we had collected over the past few monthes, and then went around the horse pastures cleaning out dead stuff from the fence rows. We had a huge fire going from late afternoon til midnight. We sat around it about 9:00 eating pizza! It was pretty cold out, but we both love bonfires. Had to eat the pizza pretty fast!:eek:

Hiya, friend! I see now why your phone line is always busy!!! I'm glad you could come over to paint tonight! It was fun. I really liked your latest piece, and the one you started tonight looks like a another winner, too. Thanks for introducing me to Wet Canvas! I'm having fun on the "Acrylics" side. Lots of good artwork over there, too. Take care!

K Taylor-Green
03-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey Elaine!! Good of you to stop and visit!
Considering that WetCanvas is the best artist gathering place on the web, how could I not drag....... uh, draw....my best friend in for the fun.
You set them Acrylics on fire, girl!

dlake
03-10-2006, 12:53 AM
After days Fluff came home. Wet, skinny and dirty but, safe and fine!!!! I feel so happy and relieved!!!!
diane

K Taylor-Green
03-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Aw Diane, that is GREAT news! Cats are such terrible wanderers, especially unnutered males.

dlake
03-10-2006, 11:17 AM
thanks. They give you such a scare. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't wrap you around thier paws. This is the two little heart stealers. Tiger is the smart one and fluff is the naughty one. the first is tiger. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2006/73610-000_0410.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2006/73610-000_0416.JPG
this one is mr naughty

Khadres
03-10-2006, 12:55 PM
So glad Fluff came home! Give him a good talkin' to and then some good vittles!

dlake
03-10-2006, 05:38 PM
He's been pigging out on fancy feast and his hard food. Lots of food. Gave him lots of petting and hugging. and he keeps pushing his forhead against me-hugs. He likes pushing head against me.

Deborah Secor
03-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Tracy, I know you'll have a wonderful time with Alicia! I interviewed her and she just seems like a really authentically nice person with some wonderful things to share...say hi to her for me (if she remembers who I am!) Let us know how it goes, too.

I'm in the midst of way too much to visit--but I keep dropping in to keep up with you all from out here in the wings! Bonfires, cats, dogs, new (& old) friends...have fun!

Deborah

artc
03-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Diane....So glad to hear that Fluffy came home...one of my cats is also named Fluffy....she is a sweet little baby....."BUDDY" the big, one eyed stray I rescued during a blizzard still sits by the front door and howls to go out...my solution to that problem is to take out my hearing aids and he doesn't bother me anymore...heheheheh.....He is a big cat....has a head the size of a softball....also a head butter...when he butts you..it means....pet me.....pet me right now....what a sweet old guy he is....
and filled with purrrrr power...they just better get busy on the mouse population around here...soon I hope....heheheheh....Artie

scall0way
03-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Wow, glad Fluff came home! How scary. I don't have a cat named Fluff, but I have one who *is* fluffy! He is my sweetie, and it would break my heart if he disappeared. Well ditto my other cats and dogs as well - so I'm very glad Fluff came back. Maybe he got trapped in someone's garage or something? I had a friend whose cat got trapped in a neighbor's garage just as the neighbors left for a week's vacation! He was there for a week with no food or water. But when they got home he was still alive and kicking, and ran home to mom for something to eat and drink. :cat:

Artistammy
03-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Oh, I'm so glad Fluffy is home. I rescued my neighbor's dogs the other day. They got out somehow & were headed for a busy street one house over from me. I called them & got one in the backyard before my neighbor came out & called the other. I just can't stand by at all when I see ones with collars & tags that I know are loved. I wish someone had been able to get my 1st puppy off the street.
I hope to get some framing done today. There's an artshow I'm entering Tues. I've got one to frame for it & one for me.
I've got a headache that I hope doesn't keep me from enjoying today. I've already taken 3 things for it.:( My hubby went skiing so I can do what I want when I want today. :evil:
Tammy

dlake
03-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for thier concern over my little bad boy. 3 days in cold rain and today is the first spring day. A lovely warm day (will get cold again tomorrow but, it's really nice) and guess what...fluff is laying around inside!!!
I planned to paint the first day it got warm and darn it! I just can't get in the mood. Isn't that the way it goes????

dlake
03-11-2006, 07:45 PM
don't mean to double post but, did make it outside. Just as I got set up and everything, phone rang, my mother. My dog began barking constantly and my cat decided to keep whining. Tried to get some done but, gave up after an hour. Don't think it was meant to be. Ahhhhhhhhh life.

gentle artist
03-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Hello everyone,
i just want to introduce myself since i am new here. i have been painting in pastel since 2003 and stopped last august. i took a workshop that really flattened my ego and have had serious doubts about my art since then. i haven't done any painting since then and want to re-start now before full spring arrives here in Maine. i thought i might get some ongoing encouragement here and share your work too. glad i finally got here.
linda b

Bringer
03-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi,

I was looking for the Honda commercial where a chorus performs the sounds of the car (do you know that one ?).
However I found this one which I found amazing.
You'll need Flash plug in 6 in case you don't have.

http://www.steelcitysfinest.com/HondaAccordAd.htm

Regards,

Josť

K Taylor-Green
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Welcome Linda! Always glad to have new friends drop in.
Tell us a bit more about the workshop experience. Sounds like a real bummer.
Even if your skill level is in the beginner's range, workshop teachers should be encouraging. You will find all skill levels in the pastel forum, and a bunch of encouraging helpful people, all ready to help you grow.

Bringer
03-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Linda,

I remember looking at photos from a beautiful place in Maine.
I can't remember its name but it's well known and I'm sure you know what place I'm talking about.
I'm sure that Maine has lots of inspiring places to paint.
I can tell you that if I were to live in USA, Maine would be a place to consider. The only drawback would be the cold :-)
But I like it being near the sea/water just like Lisbon.
I'm sure you'll like it here.
Welcome !

Regards,

Josť

P.S. I guess the place is Acadia

dlake
03-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Hello Maine!!! I hear it's beautiful there. Don't feel insecure. Just look at my paintings and you'll feel good in no time!!!! Listen to Jose.. he is flattering your state because he lives in an exotic country. Lucky devil.
Anyway, I hope you like it here. People are nice and supportive and friendly and you'll have fun.
diane

Bringer
03-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Hi,

This is the commercial with the choir :

http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/Honda_Civic_Choir_43459.html

Regards,

Josť

Elaine B
03-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey Elaine!! Good of you to stop and visit!
Considering that WetCanvas is the best artist gathering place on the web, how could I not drag....... uh, draw....my best friend in for the fun.
You set them Acrylics on fire, girl!

Thanks a bunch for your advice, support, consultation, confidence-building, and on and on .... see you soon.:wave:

Khadres
03-13-2006, 12:53 AM
HA! Diane, I know exactly what you are going through with the plein air interruptus thing! If I paint outside at home, it almost has to be when no one else in around and with the phone off the hook and the dogs tranquilized out of their minds. And then it usually comes up gale force winds....