PDA

View Full Version : Week #10 Classical Art Cards

Nickel
03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2006/39040-hey1.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2006/39040-Circlewelcome.gif

Welcome to week number 10 of Classical Art Cards.

Hope you all are enjoying the journey and meeting new and old

friends!!!!

Hope to see where you will take us this week!

You all are the BEST!

:wave: Nickel

tyree
03-05-2006, 02:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2006/65063-Cot.jpg this is my rendition of Pierre-Auguste Cot (1837-1883) ..Pisan Girl with Basket of Oranges and Lemons...Mr Cot was a French Academic Classical Painter....graphite with koh i noor woodless coloured pencils on vellum....tyree

Nickel
03-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Susan, wow, I just love it when you bring out the color.

Each week you show a different side of you. First, the colors are so very parisien, bold and full of the sparkle of life. I love her hair, that must of taken a lot of time, all those curls. She is beautiful. :wave: Nickel

Fish<><
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Wow, Tyree! You are too quick at this game. :lol: Great job!

I'm splitting some time this week with a still life I hope to have hung where my classes start next week. I know I mentioned this in the WDE, but did I tell you guys? I am officially an Arts Instructor at the local YMCA! It's my first paying (as long as people sign up for the class) job as an artist! I am very excited about it but nervous too. Classes start 3/13 and will be each Monday night! Keep me in mind! ;)

Nickel
03-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Congratulations Keith!!!

OK NEWS FLASH

Art Card Gallery #1 is now in our "HALL OF FAME"

For all times to be viewed untill 2501 at least, your great-great-great-great-grandchildren can come and visit your work :D they will have a lot to live up to. You all are GREAT!!!!

Also Art Gallery #2 is up todate! Check it Out!

Fish<><
03-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Oh wow... I just came out of the gallery!:eek: I am amazed at the extend of the work in there and to think it will be floating on the web for the next 500 or so years! :lol:

Up till this week, the View of Toledo has been my favorite. Not that this compares to last week's version of Vermeer, but this is my new favorite of the ones I've done.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2006/54332-10_Vermeer.jpg

She's smiling a little more in mine than in Vermeer's but that was done on purpose. :) She is pretty and it would be a shame if she never smiled.

Nickel
03-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Keith, she is darling and I agree, she should smile. She was one of my first loves in classical art. Alass, I have never tried a study. But yours is delightful. I can't wait for Eileen to see her.

Lol, yes the gallery is going to be around for a long time, do good:)

Just want to let you all know we have a new guide in the forum. Her name is Anita aka present. Here is a link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4411729#post4411729) to say hello and welcome her.

tyree
03-07-2006, 07:59 PM
keith....congrats again on your new artist post...please let us know how the classes are going and the things you are teaching....your vermeer is lovely, colour is right on and i like the different look youve imposed on her...nickel...thank you for all the neat little things you add to this thread, its always fun to check out things youve added or created...thank you:wave: tyree

Nickel
03-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Sweet Susan thanks, you are very kind. Nickel loves to travel the classics with you.:thumbsup: I did prime a canvas, pretty big one today, but that is the extent of my work. Spring is really popping outside, I must avoid yardwork:) so I guess I will be working a little harder at practice of art. I have searched tonight how to prepare plain paper for oil sketches. Not a lot of luck but I never give up. Well not as long as I am breathing. Also searched through my assortment of gallon and pint cans of paint I bought at Lowes Hardware for $1.00 a few years ago. That was before the redo your home shows started sending people there to buy the paint. Last time I checked it was more pratical to purchase the color you need. Need backdrops for still life setups. Spent time thinking too on how to reduce my ideas for a new oeuvre for later this year. Aside from that, I really want to do Paris in the Spring time. :) :wave: Nickel

rhysyllanfair
03-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi, everyone.

This week, I decided to return to my series of portraits, but have stayed in the 'true' classical period with a copy of a Roman portrait found in Egypt. I don't know the exact date, but it must have been during the Roman occupation of Egypt in the early years of this millenium. You can find a link to the original and a lot of fascinating information here:web.ukonline.co.uk/ gavin.egypt/flinders.htm

I make no claim to this being a fine copy, but it has been a fascinating experience painting it. I started with a brown grisaille, or bistre as I believe it is called. Burnt Umber, black and white. I established a pretty dark value of brown, probably an 8 on a 10-point value scale, for the background, and worked toward the lighter values from there. You'll probably think this sounds crazy, but I experienced this wonderful sensation of the woman's face beginning to look at me out of that distant past - almost as if she was coming back to life after 2,000 years.

It's difficult to tell from the original just what was the painting's original apprearance and what is the effect of time, but I think she is extraordinarily beautiful and haunting. Many of the qualities we associate with more recent 'classical' portraits from, say, the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, seem to me present in this much earlier work. Hope you enjoy it. C/C welcomed.

Robert

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2006/49654-Roman_Lady.JPG

AriadneArts
03-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Tyree: Beautifully done. I think your girl is prettier than the original.

Keith: Wow! Great job! You certainly got her look down pat and I love the way you rendered her skin tones. :thumbsup:

Robert: Your piece certainly has that ancient look of the time. Very nice. Alas, I couldn't get your link to work, so I have no idea re: the original. I love your experience of 'connecting' with the woman while painting her. It doesn't sound crazy at all. I've had similar experiences when visiting certain archeological sites--feeling the 'presence' of the place; kind of 'plugged in.' It's a wonderful feeling when it happens.

Keith: I apologize for mixing up your name. I feel like a complete dork.:o My only excuse is it's been a whirlwind with my husband here for only 3 days--haven't seen him since Christmas.
And, congratulations on your new gig! You'll do fine.:thumbsup:

As for me, it's mid-week and I still have no idea what I want to do for Week #10. :confused: Hubby returned to Calif last night, so I guess I just need a day or two to 'settle in.'

SuziFoster
03-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Keith,

She is beautiful and what a great job you did! Her eyes are so expressive.

Nickel
03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi Suzi, welcome, nice to meet you! :wave:

Hope you will consider joining our journey!

We'd love to have you join us!

Hi Robert, lovely lady, she is almost life-like. I can see why you felt her present when you painted her. To me, her eyes resemble very much the ladies that Susan has been painting from her French studies of the 17th & 18th c. So I see what you are saying. Thanks too for the details, it is nice to read about your process. It is very helpful!

Eileen, your husband coming home must have you all discombobulated, lol, that is Keith's Girl, lol! But thanks, I will pass the compliment to Keith! He is really good!

Like you, I am lost in looking and don't know which way my gaze will fix to say hey lookie at this!!!!:wave:

Nickel

AriadneArts
03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Eileen, your husband coming home must have you all discombobulated, lol, that is Keith's Girl, lol! But thanks, I will pass the compliment to Keith! He is really good!

Like you, I am lost in looking and don't know which way my gaze will fix to say hey lookie at this!!!!:wave:

Nickel

Yes indeed, Nickel. Discombobulated is probably an understatement. He'll be gone now until spring break, then be back for only 10 days. It's hard to adjust when he comes back, but then equally hard to adjust when he leaves.

But I have edited the post to reflect my careless error. I hope Keith will forgive me.

tyree
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
:wave: robert...a very soulful beautiful piece....thanks for explaining your colour!!!! tyree:clap:

rhysyllanfair
03-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Eileen and perhps others. I'm sorry about the link that does not seem to work. I can't find another. If you Google "Roman Portraits" in their images category, you will find a number of sites with Roman portraits in Egypt. This is one of them.

Robert

PushingPixels
03-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Tyree that's a very beautiful woman you have rendered. You always do such expressive eyes! Fish very unique rendition. I love the facial expression, nice touch and the Roman-esqe Lady by Robert is just magical, you guys just keep getting better each week! Alas I have been out of my routine but last weekend I went to Yosemitie National Park and got to play in the snow! Thats why I'm lagging so to speak. For those who want to look here is a link to Photos of my trip...
http://community.webshots.com/album/548290087NZArEG

meantime I'll try and catch up.
Great work guys and gals!!! :)

PushingPixels
03-10-2006, 01:39 AM
yawn humm - got this one done before turning in. Heres my study for this week.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2006/44004-StJohn-Study.jpg

the source
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2006/44004-StJohn-Lorenzo-sm.jpg

Nickel
03-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Hi Barbara, thanks so much for sharing your photo album. What a nice treat to see your real adventures. Lots of lovely photo you could paint for sure. :) And look at you go, I love your selection for this week. I think he has a very Roman look. I know he is not really suppose to look Roman. I don't know if it is because I have study Roman paintings all week, I may be blinded or in a Roman daze. He is very proud and handsome. Good job!!!! :wave: Nickel

AriadneArts
03-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Barbara, what a beautiful rendition of St. John the Baptist! You really captured his likeness and I like your treatment of the shading. Good job!

tyree
03-11-2006, 04:31 PM
barbara...thank you for showing us the beautiful snow pics..your St John has wonderful light and dark contrast, great shadow renderings also...very nice.....tyree:wave: :clap:

Nickel
03-11-2006, 04:32 PM
My study below is a “Christian Mosaic” a descendant of Roman mosaics. While mosaics are not an attempt to imitate painting it is a study of hues with limitations just like pigments. Mosaic Christian art is not really realistic because of the thought that “the things of this world constitute obstacles in the way of a spiritual goal.” Realistic art is inappropriate to that concept. So is the second commandment of making a graven image. Mosaic art is more a symbol so this was permitted in the early days.

An attempt is to paint a mosaic symbol from the classical sixth-century frieze of Saint Agnes at San Appollinare Nuovo in Ravenna, Italo-Byzantine period.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2006/39040-Image010wccc.jpg

I posted some pictures (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4394181&postcount=6) of her on the classical studio thread.

I only started working on her in week 2, I think I will call her done.
Acrylic 8x10 :D Nickel

tyree
03-11-2006, 04:55 PM
nickel...omg...its beautiful,,,,what wonderful detail, colour, and expression....the best yet.....tyree:eek: :clap:

Nickel
03-11-2006, 05:09 PM
nickel...omg...its beautiful,,,,what wonderful detail, colour, and expression....the best yet.....tyree:eek: :clap:
Thanks Susan, I know you like the eyes! You are an eye kind of gal:D Thanks again! Nickel

PushingPixels
03-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Nickel, Stunningly Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing the information on mosaics as well. I helped my son do one from cut paper when he was in school- great fun. But I did not realize that theywere primarily done to avoid "Graven images" so to speak. You guys are a wealth of information. Ohh and I'm so glad you liked my Snow pictures. :)

PS... I like your colors MUCH better than the original pics.

AriadneArts
03-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Nickel, how exquisitely stunning! Fabulous colors and I can't imagine painting a mosaic! The detail alone, plus drawing every single tile just boggles my mind. Wonderful work!

AriadneArts
03-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Here is my offering for Week #10:

Seated Arab in Tangiers, 1832, Delacroix
Original:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2006/6306-Seated_Arab_in_Tangiers_1832-Delacroix_rz.jpg

My study: 4-1/2" x 5," graphite and colored pencil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2006/6306-Seated_Arab_in_Tangier_after_Delacroix_rz.jpg

rosebard
03-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi there my dear journey friends!! I am back!! Cant believe I have survived being without internet for so long. Anyway, week 10 is here already. I will try to join in this week. Lets see. Meanwhile I am checking to see what you all being up too.

Susan that is lovely girl, and with a basket ofcourse. :thumbsup:

Keith congratulations. Good luck for sure. I will keep you in mind. :cat: The colors work on the Vermeer is really nice. Yeah I know the feeling of reproducing her facial expression. I have painted her before and as I walk along the room where she is hanging makes me feel she is looking at me everywhere I go into the room with such a weird look. Not sure what look though, but do make me feel uneasy. You made me smile when you changed her expression. :) :thumbsup:

Hello Robert. I always enjoy looking at your posts. :thumbsup:

Hi Suzie nice meeting you! :)

Hi Barb, dear!! What a nice hair you have on yours. Have so much volume. Another cool study! :thumbsup: Got check your album update soon.

Nickel that is a lovely mosaic style painting. :thumbsup:

Eilleen, this is lovely drawing! :thumbsup:

It will take me sometime to catch up with all that went on while I was gone. I will be back. I missed you all. :heart: :heart: :heart:

AriadneArts
03-12-2006, 02:43 PM
:wave: Rose, so glad to see you back. I'm looking forward to your next study.

Thanks for your kind comment on my offering of the week. This has been such a valuable learning experience for me, not to mention being great fun as well. :D

Nickel
03-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice compliment on my mosaic. Needless to say, I kept getting lost in all the little lines. In real life, it really looks more like stain glass, which I guess is not a bad thing. I am thinking of trying one of those too.

Hi Barbara, I just learned that info on the mosaics too. I just realized last night that some of the paintings I have studied for composition this week are by Piero di Cosimo. He is an interesting painter. Is that your son as the snow angel in your pictures?

Hi Eileen, very nice study you have of Delacroix. I hadn’t seen this before. It is a very interesting pose for sure. I like your background as it adds serenity to the scene. Hope you are feeling better.

Hi Rose, welcome back, we have your place saved for you!

Nickel