PDA

View Full Version : Selling Nudes on eBay? Please read.

ArtyHelen
02-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Hi all,

I recently made the decision to put all my art auctions into the category "Self-Representing Artists".

However, I recently had a couple of nudes in there, and eBay moved these to the category: "Collectibles:Art, Animation & Photo Images:Art:Artistic Nudes." I was quite annoyed about this for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don't consider my art to be a 'collectible' as such. I want it in an art category, preferably a fine art category. And secondly, that category has much more erotic art than my art is. It is much more 'sexy figure-based' than artistic figure-based.

Anyway, while I was mulling over what to write to eBay about this, I had an email from another artist. He had had his nudes moved from the American art category to the ADULT area!! His nudes are certainly not erotic, just artistic nudes in life drawing-style poses! He is American, and I think if I hadn't been English, my work may have been moved to the adult area, too. (But if they'd done that, I wouldn't be able to access my own auctions, due to country laws.)

So I am writing to ask if any other artists have had their nudes 'shuffled away' to different areas.

eBay must be doing some kind of 'house-cleaning' regarding nude art, and it seems whoever is doing it doesn't know the difference between fine art nudes and erotic nudes or adult material.

I thought if a few people write in about the lack of a category for nudes in the Fine Art area, we might get a better result...

Please share your experiences or thoughts.

Thanx,

Helen

CarlyHardy
02-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Helen, this would be a good suggestion to post in the Art community threads at ebay. Daphne is the ebay rep on that forum and does listen to our rantings!

My understanding is that ebay moves an auction when its reported by another seller/buyer that its in the wrong category. Could be someone reported nudes in that category. Personally I think Self-Rep could have nudes since the category refers to the artist...not the art.

Might try that argument with ebay.
carly

ArtyHelen
02-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Hi Carly, I will have to check out that section of eBay as I've never been there before.
I have written directly to eBay support about it now, but it won't hurt to bring it up there, too!
Thanx for the suggestion!

Helen

Maggie J
02-20-2002, 07:54 AM
ArtyHelen - I have viewed some of your nudes in the past and think they are very tastful and beautifully depicted (as all your work is!).

After reading your post I felt so angry because there are other nudes far less tasteful in the art/paintings category and none of them have been moved. Also, I'm sure I spotted another nude pencil drawing on the 'self rep' category (UK) yesterday.

To me, it is censorship which is uncalled for - I agree, if eBay want to be so nervous about it then they should start a nude category and then no one could complain of offense as it would be there choice to view or not!

Will try and find the art community thread and complain! - you have my full support!

Maggie J

timelady
02-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Add my voice to the concern! Nudes are not adult or erotic art necessarily. I'd be furious if they moved my auction. You're probably right about not getting shunted into the adult cateogory because the UK doesn't have one - but I list on ebay.com even though I'm in the UK. That's worrying. But carly is right - eBay only does things if someone reports the auction. Sounds like there's someone hanging around the art categories who has nothing better to do than impose their own narrow-mindedness. My eBay id is tina-m-art if you want to let the eBay rep know who else agrees. :)

Tina.

ArtyHelen
02-21-2002, 08:36 AM
Maggie, thanx so much! The thread at eBay is here (http://forums.ebay.com/[email protected]^[email protected])

Tina, I list at eBay.com, too - I just figured that they might have seen I'm from the UK when they pulled up my email, and knew I wouldn't be able to access the adult category. Thanx for your support! :)

The only nude art section at eBay is the Artistic Nudes one, which is in COLLECTIBLES. I think we need one in the ART & Antiques section, for non-suggestive, non-sexual nudes. If you would like to put this idea forward to eBay, like I've done, please go here (http://pages.ebay.com/community/suggestion/).

Helen

Maggie J
02-22-2002, 04:09 AM
'My understanding is that ebay moves an auction when its reported by another seller/buyer that its in the wrong category'

- but if eBay doesn't check them out too, then anyone can have anything moved (including competitors.....)!
..or am I just paranoid!:confused:

ArtyHelen
02-22-2002, 05:05 AM
:eek:

Maggie! You could be right and that is really scary!!
The guy who answered me OBVIOUSLY hadn't looked at my art, as he went on about full frontal nudity and mine had none - so who's to say that the person who moved it even looked and pondered over whether it should be moved?!!

You know what, I might do a little experiment to find out...!

Helen

El_Elegante
02-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Just read this thread. I am outraged... just wanted to say good luck.. ebay is out of line IMO. nudes have been the subject of classical art for thousands of years. is Ashcroft a majority share holder?