PDA

View Full Version : snnelier's fixative for OP

Totoro
03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
I just saw in a shop a bottle of sennelier's fixative for oil pastel. I did not know it was possible to fix OP. Fromt the sticker on the bottle it seems you're suppose to spray the thing (with one of those silly contraption pfff pff pff:lol: :lol: I'd guess).
Has anybody tried fixing OP?
I've always believed that doing that meant giving in to the dark side of the force, crossing the fluxes and choosing the red tablet all resulting in the OP melting.

Me and my illusions :cat: :cat:
Totoro

Bringer
03-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi,

Talens also has it.
Never tried it since I work with dry pastels (soft ones).

Regards,

Josť

Pat Isaac
03-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes, Sennelier has a fix, but I never use it for all the reasons you mention.:lol:
I tried it once and even have a bottle of it, but I felt it dulled my piece. I'm a purist at heart and just feel that you should leave 'em alone.

Pat

Donna A
03-05-2006, 06:19 PM
I just saw in a shop a bottle of sennelier's fixative for oil pastel. I did not know it was possible to fix OP. Fromt the sticker on the bottle it seems you're suppose to spray the thing (with one of those silly contraption pfff pff pff:lol: :lol: I'd guess).
Has anybody tried fixing OP?
I've always believed that doing that meant giving in to the dark side of the force, crossing the fluxes and choosing the red tablet all resulting in the OP melting.

Me and my illusions :cat: :cat:
Totoro
A friend of mine, Bill Creevy, who has two wonderful books on painting, one on pastel and one on oil, turned me on to this fixative for Oil Pastel. I really trust his judgement and experience on this!!!

If you are an oil pasteler---I'd say go for it! Donna ;-}

Pat Isaac
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Have you tried this on your oil pastels, Donna?

Pat

BeckyMc
03-06-2006, 01:42 AM
I use the Sennelier fixative, but most of my paintings are Sennelier Oil Pastels. I don't know how it works with other brands of OP. I've also varnished over the fixative as an experiment, so far so good. That way I can frame without glass. This artist does not frame under glass and is using fixative and varnish:

http://www.davidsongalleries.com/artists/bennerstrom/bennerstrom.html

Her paintings command excellent prices - so far I've been giving mine away :D

parikk
03-01-2013, 11:30 AM
I use sennelier fixatif at the end of my work. I typically use Mungyo artists soft oil pastels for the underpainting or initial layers and use sennelier to finish my work. I use the fixatif at the end on my work typically around 2 coats. This does not harden the pastels but prevents it from sticking to mere touch. It also adds a shine to the work which I like in some pieces.

scottishwifie
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I have just used Sennelier fixative on two oil pastel paintings it works great, gives it a bit of a shiny look, I used a couple of thin sprays, I put on gloves and a mask and sprayed outside when it wasn't windy, I makes the oil pastel smudge proof, I used it with Sennelier and Neopastels all the best lesley

NomdyPloom
01-18-2017, 11:58 AM
In respect of all the posts about fixative, I found that using Tesco Hairspray, 90 pence for a huge can, gives an excellent result which I believe to be no more shiny than the expensive purpose made liquids. I often get the pastel very thick and then I just give it a light hairspray and it dries quickly so I can go on getting the colour on. Doesn't seem to degrade or change the colour, apart from the gloss effect.