PDA

View Full Version : Reading In the Park

Surfinia
02-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Hi all. This will be a new forum for me. I'm getting my feet wet, so to speak, with pen and ink. Here's a piece I did this summer. Any suggestions you have will be appreciated.

BTW - I've been using Claudia Nice's books to learn technique.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2002/WC-Park.JPG

Here's a closeup.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2002/WC-Park-Closeup.JPG

Yielding
02-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Nice drawing Surf

I think your perspective is just great with the rows of bushes in the back ground.

Only thing I would say it more time spent on shadow could sharpen things up a bit.

Yielding

artdude
02-17-2002, 11:07 AM
I really like this Surfinia :) Great texture in your trees and hedges. How big is this piece? What types of pens and paper are you using? Claudia's books are a great tool for learning the ink medium. Hope to see more from you in this forum. Thanks for posting :D

sassybird
02-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Great to have you join us here in Pen and Ink, Surfinia. This is a wonderful drawing. Your perspective is right on, and your line work is very nice. The only suggestion I have Yielding already made. A little more value will add body to the overall piece. Hope you post more soon. You have a talent for this medium:)

NorahT
02-17-2002, 04:05 PM
Great pen work and composition - thanks for posting :)

Surfinia
02-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your kind comments. I've been exploring different mediums since coming to WC, and especially since participating in the FND. I find I really like working with pen and ink.

Artdude - I don't remember what kind of paper I used. It's a little heavier than what's in sketchbooks and is smooth but with a bit of tooth. The pens I used were Micron (non-refillable) 01, 03, 05. The drawing is 7" x 11".

little more value will add body to the overall piece

Could some of you please tell me where to add the value. This may seem like a silly question, but I'm really not sure where to darken and where to leave white. I was trying to convey the bright sun as it was that day.

Thanks

sassybird
02-20-2002, 09:26 PM
Surfinia, I'm sorry to take so long to get back to you. Have you considered using some watercolor or ink washes? That is how I often add value when I don't want to crosshatch, scribble....etc
If you work on heavy paper it should take a wash just fine. I usually work on arches, stonehenge, or rieves bfk heavyweight for about everything, because I've learned that I may want to add another medium in later into the work on a piece.

Surfinia
02-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Thanks, sassybird, I might try the wash. The paper is about the weight of index card, so maybe it'll take the wash without warping too much.

sassybird
02-21-2002, 02:01 PM
Surfina, if you can afford it try a sample pack of paper from Daniel Smith or Dick Blick. That will help you decide on what kind of paper will hold up to different mediums. I really like stonehenge for a variety of mediums.

lraesjoy
06-14-2002, 04:59 PM
Wonderful and peaceful scene!

prairie painter
06-15-2002, 01:22 AM
Gorgeous- I love the way the rigid lines of the rows of trees and hedges contrast with the curving lines of the figure.
This would be fantastic with a very light wash of almost-monocrome, deep colors that would put her into a cool
shade.

BTW, I absolutely love what Claudia Nice does with pen-n-ink. I wish like mad that
I could get to a workshop hosted by her. I have all her books, but I'm way more of
a visual learner.

Ginette
06-15-2002, 06:47 PM
I very much enjoy this work with the different textures, shading, verticals & horizontals.
A success!

Ginette

dolors
06-16-2002, 02:42 PM
Welcome to this forum. I like your drawing very much. Please post more.

gnu
06-16-2002, 04:04 PM
I love this WELL DONE!!!!:clap: :clap:
I feel the hatching detracts from the other type of fill you've done, staight lines verses loose ones, but apart from that I like it just the way it is, the composition is fabulous, boy do I know how much work went into something like this, keep posting...