PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of my daughter

betje-b
03-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I have been quite busy with a lot of things but luckily found some time to work on my daughter's portrait. It is still a long way from being finished. As you can see I am not going for natural colors. She's a happy 18 year old and I want to show that with warm oranges and yellows, cool violets and greens.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2006/63894-fiona_portret_6.JPG

paulavanzanten
03-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi Elly, the first thing I notice is that you will have to work on the mouth...it's too tight and a little bit at a wrong angle . You should place your previous post together with the picture with this. I like the way you created the light on the forehead. :)

Corby
03-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Because I want to know more about portraiture I am intrigued about the colors you are using. Seems a nice start to me. I agree with Paula, that mouth needs some adjusting now or it will cause you pain later!

Constellation
03-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Hi.... I am not seeing anything wrong with the placement of her mouth... in a large open smile such as she has the upper lip will be shortened.... are you working from life or a photo? I love what you have done so far and the colors are great! They give a vibrancy which probably duplicates her personality.... Donna

maqbool
03-02-2006, 10:51 AM
GOOD START ,reminds me GAUGAIN;S colors.

Corby
03-02-2006, 01:42 PM
question for my own edification: Should not the fullness of that lower lip be shifted a bit more to the left? This would place the wider part in alignment with her nose?

betje-b
03-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks for your critique. I am planning to let the far side of the mouth disappear a bit more, as well as the line of the forehead and keep the sharp edges of the cheeks. I also want to lighten the whole portrait a bit more with soft violets, oranges and yellows. I think the mouth is in alignment but will double check. I want to picture this is as a happy and vibrant young girl. I am working from a photograph, but she is around a lot so I can also look at the real thing when she's home from college.