PDA

View Full Version : I need all the help to start on the internet!

samie123
02-16-2002, 01:43 AM
Hello dear fellow-artists I need all the information I can get on transporting paintings when they are sold through internet. Here in Pakistan I don't know any fellow artists who are doing this. What is the best way to send your work and is there any tax involved? By the way this is my first message ever on WC and I am so glad I found this website it's heaven for artists. And how is payment organized when you sell your work? Please fellow artists I need your help to start up over here. I hope to get a lot of tips.:confused:

Sumafra
02-16-2002, 01:45 AM
Hellow Sammy, welcome to Wet Canvas. Just keep reading through all the threads, you'll finds answers to all your questions.

CathyD
02-16-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi Sammy,
Do as Sumafra suggests, you won't believe all the good information that is on this site. Take notes! Then if you haven't found the answer to a paricular question, ask it specifically.

You will find discussions on how to get started, how to set up for payment, how to ship your art, marketing tips, good customer service tips, how much to price your art..... it's all here! Read the discussions that are of immediate interest to get started and then as you get started on ebay, read the next thing you want to know about.

You might want to take notes of where you find certain information, because you might not need it now, but later you will and you'll say 'now where did I read that?'

Good Luck,
Cathy

samie123
02-17-2002, 01:00 AM
Thank you Suzette and Cathy. You know what I did I went on search and typed shipping and found out a lot. I have been on this website for just 2 days now but I am learning a lot and getting all the information I need. You know in Pakistan they don't have any websites on art that's what's missing over here. It is very exciting starting your own artbussiness I don't think many artists are working like this in my country. I still have a lot to learn.

Samina.:D

KanuK
02-17-2002, 11:00 AM
Congratulations on taking the first steps toward creating your very own presence on the net! It will be trying at times but given the resources on the net, you should come through just fine.

I would also like to make a suggestion - get a professional web designer to do your site. Your first impression is always the most important. Your art could be fantastic but with a site that is slow to load and doesn't look very nice, people won't stick around too long to look at your art.

samie123
02-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks KanuK for the tip that's just what I need. To tell you the truth I am really a newcomer concerning all the new developments on the computer. But it is always a challenge to learn new things. Keep on coming up with the good tips the more the better.

Samina:clap:

CarlyHardy
02-17-2002, 04:20 PM
One of the things you should do is get very familiar with the ebay site. There is a ton of helpful information about how to get started, fees, how to list....etc...etc. at their site.

You might like to decide on a User ID (which will be your identity) and sign up for an account...this is free! After you are signed up, you will be able to click on MY EBAY...it will ask for your log in ID and password. On that page you'll see headings that will take you to areas (buying) (selling) etc. Click on the Selling link and look at the list of options for information on that page. You will find many questions that others have asked about selling that should help you a lot also.

And welcome to Wet Canvas! We will try to answer any questions you can come up with!
carly

CathyD
02-17-2002, 10:15 PM
I just read in another place a good tip for choosing your ebay ID. Pick somehthing that is not too long, and easy to remember. This tip was given by an ebay bidder. He said he had a favorite artist that he has bought about $1000 worth of paintings from over time, and he always has to search through old email to find her ID because it is so long and he never remembers it.
Best wishes!
Cathy

KanuK
02-18-2002, 11:39 PM
I must stress that eBay for most people out of the US is sometimes dreadfully expensive. Even for a Canadian, I would have to deal with a 60% currency exchange plus duty and taxes! Plus the fees you pay the eBay even if you don't sell anything make this option, to me, an unappealing one. My suggestion is always to go for your own site and deal with purchasers on a face-to-face basis and see how that goes. If you get a lot of people wanting to give you Visa or Mastercard, then yes, get a merchant account and go for it or get a paypal account... I'm always for independence and individuality. Why be in with a mess of other people when you can stand out and show who you are with a little bit of effort! Vive la Difference!

Sumafra
02-20-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by KanuK
My suggestion is always to go for your own site and deal with purchasers on a face-to-face basis and see how that goes.

That's all very well, Kanuk, but how do you get sufficient traffic to your site to get the sales? I've had a website longer than I've been selling on Ebay and have only sold 2 paintings from it, both to the same individual. If it weren't for Ebay, I wouldn't have sold very much last year, Internet wise that is. I still think there's a time and place for Ebay sales, not for your best work perhaps, but for older works, or quick pieces done especially for Ebay.

An added benefit with Ebay, is that all my buyers have been so friendly and complimentary. Comments like: I just love this painting, or I'm SO glad I won the auction. It's good for the soul even if not great for the pocketbook.