PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Feb 27 Thru March 6

K Taylor-Green
02-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Morning!! And welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread. Here we talk about our families, kids, jobs, and pets. :thumbsup:

What a weekend! Our rental had come up empty. The couple renting it had bought their own place. We have a new couple to rent it, thank goodness, but over the weekend, Jess and I replaced the carpet in one bathroom with vinyl tile. Just getting too old for this kind of work! Anyway, it looks really nice in there, and the kitchen floor is next. Only, Jess decided to get someone else to lay that one. Guess he is getting too old for it, too!:eek:

How was your weekend?

khourianya
02-27-2006, 11:36 AM
It has decidedly become winter here. The temperatures have dropped and we have a ton of snow. After no snow all winter - this is taking some gettingused to it. I think the only thing that's happy about it is our snow tires because they can finally do their job. :D Abner loves it too - not the cold, but he loooves big snowdrifts. I have never seen him so gleeful!

Beyond that I spent the weekend cleaning my studio and painting - even managed to make it in to 2 VPON paintouts! I should be done a painting tonight and will post it! :)

Life has been so busy the past month, with all of this house building stuff, that I haven't know if I was coming or going. Now I should have a chance to settle back into a routine and get things done.

CM Neidhofer
02-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Sorry to hear about all the snow, Cori. It's going to be a balmy 70 degrees here in Colorado today!!

I'm just about finished moving. What an ordeal with a moving truck that wouldn't run and finding time to move along with working. :eek: But today there's just some little things left and I can clean and then I'm out!! Then we have to get the mess here organized and my art space set up. :lol: THEN....maybe then....I can get back to my pastels!!!

Christine

khourianya
02-27-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't really have the right to complain - it's just that this winter has been almost summery. I do like the snow and it definitely freshens up our brownest season.

Oh I guess I forgot to tell you guys the exterior colours we chose for the house. The siding will be a greyed sage green and the trim will be a light linen colour. The stone detailing on the front will be a darker grey. Altogether it should look quite smart. Now the countdown can really begin...

dlake
02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Even if it's a warmer winter, it's still winter and still not outside fun. I am counting the days for spring. Be out and feel the sun and hear the birds and paint outside and be with mother nature. I can't wait.

khourianya
02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Most of our winter was great for outside fun. No snow and warm enough for summer jackets. I live in Calgary, Alberta CANADA so that is really saying something. Many days in december were warmer than this past june was for us. It was incredible. If I'd had time, I would have been out there trying to find something that wasn't completely brown to paint.

The snow seems to have temporarilly let up - thank goodness. I need to go shopping for new glasses this week and the walk to the stores downtown at noon, would have been horrible in the snow. At leawst this way, the sidewalks will probably be clear by the time I have to go.

My stomach will just not stop growling this morning. I feel like I have been munching on fruit all day so far.Good thing lunch is soon.

Khadres
02-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, since Raven's bandage is off (bad dog!) we had to go get a cone for her head (she's gonna hate it...but too bad) and stuff to try and cover her foot again. Got some hooves for 'em all to have a good chew...they're just like little kids when we bring a baggie from Petco, dancing around to see what's in the goodie bag.

Got this week's doctor's appt. done for Mel's rheumatologist, so that's good. Now...on to the delayed housecleanin'....yechhhhhhhh!!!!

K Taylor-Green
02-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Blah, on house cleanin! Don't like it.
Hey Sooze, like the name Raven!

Cori, sounds like a beautiful color combination.

I know most everyone is looking forward to Spring. Well, I'm looking forward to warm weather, birds singing, and my flowers blooming, but not Spring per se. Living on a farm means nothing but MUD, when the Spring rains come. Not looking forward to that at all.

Ah Christy, light at the end of the tunnel is a very good thing. Especially when moving. I have done it far too many times in my life.

Dot Hoffman
02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I haven't jumped into this thread before, but decided it was time :lol:
I haven't done much painting lately except the drawing I'm forced to do for the class I take at the community college, but that's only because I have been working frantically at building my own website and it's finally up :clap: . So, if you are interested in taking a look, the address is below. There aren't any pastels in there YET, but they will be coming soon...mostly cuz I'm still rather new to them and you all have been so helpful and encouraging for me, and partly because I haven't taken pix of the ones I have finished. But soon, I promise.

The weather here in Missouri is warming up and then I'll be able to get out and do some plein air painting. I'm looking forrward to it, and have lots of places in mind.:cat:

Khadres
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Welcome, Dot, and nice website!

Bad dog Raven got her bad toe stepped on by Annie last night and got it to bleeding again, so we had to get her down and re-bandage the foot and put one of those plastic cones on the idiots head so that she can't chew it off again. Poor pooch is NOT happy with it, but seem to be adapting okay. Just another five days or so and she should be healed enough to survive....that's if we do!

Nice, spring-like weather here this week. We put the sprinklers on the lawn to try to stave off the worst of the winter kill; will sure be glad when SOMEthing out there turns green again!

Artistammy
02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Well, my Mother has found a smaller house to buy & offered a contract on it. So, soon I may be helping her pack. :eek:
Last week I was getting ready for company & now it seems I'm catching up on laundry & errands. Hopefully, I'll get back to pastels soon.
Tammy

khourianya
02-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh my, Sooz. Poor Raven. After hearing all of the stories about his nails, I am taking Abner in for a puppy pedicure. He needs a trim and I want to be sure his claws are in good shape so we don't end up going through the same thing with him.

Speaking of the pup, we were supposed to have the trainers over tonight to work with him again, but due to a nasty weather warning, they have cancelled on us so I hope we can have our session at the rescheduled time of next week. He's picked up a few bad habits since xmas and we are looking to nip them in the bud.

I have spent the day watching the weather get worse and worse outside my window. I am really glad I wore my boots today and brought my hat and mitts. It's not going to be a fun walk across downtown to get to the car today!

khourianya
03-02-2006, 12:28 PM
It has been a very exciting week on my end of things. I got the good news that my union is not going on strike (yet) and that they are still hoping to be able to settle or contract (the old one expired almost 2 years ago). Gosh I hope they do - I am sick of sitting onthe edge of the cliff, wondering when we will be pushed over the edge and into a strike. No one seems to want the strike, yet a vast majority voted against the contract details that were decided on after mediation (I voted in favour but was drowning in those opposing me).

I also decided this week to start working toward my degree part time, starting next month. It will be nice to be back in the books again. I have been itching to take courses and, with programs available through my work, it is going to be financially feasible. I always knew I would get my degree, it was just a matter of when. Soon I should know how long it will take me. I got my student records updated yesterday and am looking forward to registering shortly.

I was also asked, this week, to stand as a judge for the Canadian New Media Awards. A few of you might remember that I was a finalist in last year's awards. I didn't bring home the trophy, but it was such an honour to be considered for a prestigious award at a national level. I am honoured to have been asked to judge and am quite looking forward to it. I will be judging in the same category as I was nominated last year, as well as 2 other categories. Very exciting stuff.

Tonight we are having dinner with Cam's brother and the kids and then we'll be watching the kids for a few hours. We also have the mortgage lady coming to sign some more paperwork with us. AND I am still hoping to get a painting finished so I can start another one. There should be time for everything (my niece loves to draw so she will happily set up on the table beside my easel and draw along with me).

Have a good rest of your week, everyone!!!

chewie
03-02-2006, 01:28 PM
hi all! nice that so far, there's no health issues!! our weather is really up/down. we are starting to calve out, have a few on the ground now, and so that gives us plenty of opportunities to work with the horses, to sort the heavies. mostly we have really strong wind, blowing dirt in our eyes, ick!

i am working on a portrait of my b.i.l's dog. its a black and tan coonhound named sam wyse the brave. (sam for short of course!) sadly, he got loose and out on the road, hit by a car, and had to be put down. jason was just heart broke, he so loved that dog. we all did, he was one cool pooch. and good hunter, too! jason had wanted this type dog since he was a little boy. the day after he buried sam, he called the breeder, as luck has it, one male pup ready to go, a cousin to his sam dog!! and if that aint' the cutest thing!! deets is a real go-getter, and its hilarious to watch him, he'll put his nose to ground but trip on his ears!!! LOL!!! he 'treed' the cat, and went off like a horn, but a very young, squeeky horn, just too funny!!

i am teaching a very small adult drawing class, and thinking so far, i way much prefer teaching adults than kids!! adults are appreciative of your using your time with them, and really want to learn. i am having a good time of it.

have a nice week, all!!

khourianya
03-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Happy birthday Sooz! (just saw it in the VPON announcements!)

meowmeow
03-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi all! Just stopping by to say hello...and what a treat to see no real health issues...well, Raven doesn;t count! What a pain those dogs are when they bite their wounds. We had to use the cone once a long time ago. Poor guy didn't like it but it was a life saver. Goo luck, Sooz!

Your house colors sound wonderful, Cori!

Welcome Dot!

HAppy birthday Sooz!!!

WE are all well..basically. Had my last CAT scan for the pulmonary issues..there is still a bit there but the doctor says it is okay and I don;t need anymore. He just says I had a really bad pneumonia and it is taking its time going away. What a pain! Ruined my whole summer!!!

Our son just got engaged...to a lovely girl we actualyl like! Hooray! WE had just about given up on him! WEll, not really, but it has been a struggle.

The house is still on the market...boy, did we pick the worst time to try to sell. Well, at least I am getting used to the idea that it will take a while and I just have to go about my business. Hopefully eventually something will give.

I jsut finally got through to the right people about the Terry Ludwig workshop I had wanted to do in Kennebunk...she said it filled up so fast that even people on their own board didn;t get in. There is a reception though and he will be doing a portrait demo...and selling his pastels...so I signed up for that. Even that is almost full. I was disappointed but not really surprised.

Anyhow, I'm glad you all are okay!!!

SAndy

Khadres
03-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Thanks, kiddos! :D (or is that "kiddoes"?)

Kathryn Day
03-03-2006, 12:51 AM
:clap: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SOOZ!!

maddy777
03-03-2006, 04:52 AM
Hi all:wave:
I'm finally back!
You have all been busy while I've been sans pc!!
Happy birthday Sooz:clap:
Sandy glad to hear your pneumonia is clearing up.
Weather has taken a winter turn here, we have had light snow for a week which is unusual for this area.
I've been quite busy too while I've been gone from WC, had to have a minor surgery thing, then my grandad died so had to go to the midlands for his funeral, which was sad but a very nice gathering, our digi cam broke :mad: and I found out we are expecting our first baby together :eek: :heart:
All very happy, my daughter ( the nearly 18 year old) is very happy but says it's weird, bless her. Obviously not weird enough to stop her squeeking at my tummy.
Anyway glad to be back, I shall go and scan my recent paintings now. :wave:

meowmeow
03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Wow Maddy! You have had a busy week...not all goo d either. I'm so sorry about uyour grandfather! But what wonderful news about the baby!

I actually had the pneumonia last summer..but apparently, like everything else I do, my pneumonia looked odd in all the films and for a while they thought I had lung cancer! It was a royally exciting time...as anyone who was around here can attest. But it all turned out well...they have just been monitoring it all this time. But thanks for the good thoughts...they are always appreciated!

Sandy

bjcpaints
03-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Just stopping in to say Hi!
Cori, I am exhausted just reading about all you have going on right now!
Sandy, Pnuemonia is nothing I would wish on anyone, but in your case it beats the alternative!! Hope you are doing well.
Kate, I like you new avatar pic!
Sooz, Happy Belated Birthday!!! I hope it was a good one!
Christine, Tammy, anyone moving themselves or others - what a lot of work that is! I don't envy you - I have moved too many times. We are never moving again except to a house we will build on the same piece of land!
Hello and Welcome Dot! I will have to check out your site! I haven't even gotten around to making one yet.
Chewie (sorry I don't know your name), Sorry to hear about Sam but am looking forward to seeing the portrait. Good for you teaching a class!
Hi Kathy, Maddy, anyone else I missed or who will be coming in later.
I think I finally got over the hump with my love/hate relationship with pastels. I think I have to use them no more than 3Xs a wk due to asthma (hate wearing the mask as I am a bit claustrophobic too). So, will do acrylics the other nights of the week. LOL I must sound like a real basket case.
The thing that encouraged me more than anything was seeing the last one (English Bulldog) framed. I finally love it even though I can see where I can improve and do better on the next project. Whew! It is a big step for me.
TTYL
Barbara

K Taylor-Green
03-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Welcome, Dot! We love getting to know new people.

Barbara, lol, no more a basket case than the rest of us! And your work is really growing.

Sandy and Kathy, Good to see you both back.

Sooze, sorry I missed your birthday. Hope it was a good one!!

Chewie, that is real sad news about Sam. My step-son just had to put his 14
year old Lab to sleep. He is heart broken.

Hey guys, remember last Spring when I was expecting 3 new grandchildren, a new colt, and a litter of pups? This Spring it is just a litter of pups. Should arrive end of April.

Cori, girl, you make me tired!

meowmeow
03-03-2006, 07:40 PM
First, I wanted to give a big hug to Chewie...I missed that about your dog. I am so, so sorry!!!

Then...a big WAHOO!!!!! I just got an email saying Terry Ludwig has agreed that he can handle more students than he originally thought so I am going to be able to take the workshop! Now I am really psyched. It's in June...I'll let you all know how it goes! Yippee!!!

SAndy

Artistammy
03-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, my Mother's contract wasn't accepted...they didn't want a contingency for her to sell her house.
Dot, I like your website...nicely organized & easy to navigate.
Sooz, I hope you had a fun birthday...mine's this week. Is Raven getting better? They can be a pain when injured & they ignore it.
Cori, I agree....hearing all you're working makes me tired too. It's exciting hearing about your house.
I need to get off here & see if I can paint any today. It seems life keeps interfering lately. I did work a little on framing one yesterday.
Happy Sat!
Tammy
Yeah, Sandy. That workshop should be great. Exciting about your son too.

gfwolf
03-04-2006, 06:07 PM
I had started writing a posting on Friday morning stating that my sunroom/studio was finally finished after 2+ months and the final inspection had passed. That was premature. It was only the final electrical inspection.
I was lying on the my mattress on the bedroom floor trying to take a nap (as part of the remodeling I was convinced to give up my 20+ year old king size waterbed frame which had a neat headboard with cabinets and an oval mirror, and 12 underdressers so I am left with only the mattress at this point) when a stranger showed up staring in from the sunroom. When I went out to see who he was he turned out to be the inspector for the county and evidently my sunroom was not built to code.:eek:
It is on the south side of the house and there are two bedrooms on that side. The bedroom windows had been replaced with doors into the sunroom and evidently you cannot have egress from bedrooms into another room in case of a fire. Now that is ironic because I had felt that a plus of the sunroom was that in case of a fire instead of busting out a window and climbing out and falling to the ground it was a lot easier to exit through a door and out the sunroom sliding door which was 2 feet away. Go figure.:o Anyway I have no idea what happens now because there is no way to met code and have the sunroom at the same time. I totally depressed at this point. It has been a rough go throughout this whole project and I am really well over it.
The only satisfaction I have right now is that my wife always says I worry too much about things that are not likely to happen and make up all kinds of needless alternate plans, but this shows that the problem wasn’t that I worried too much, it was that I didn’t worry enough!:smug:
The worst part is that I had my wife go ahead and pay for the balance of sunroom after the work was done because I was to naďve to think that I should wait until the final inspection was signed off.
Another bad part of it was that I was getting ready to leave for Cheyenne for the weekend to attend the Western Spirit Art Show. There are artist seminars and Art show reception on Saturday and stone carving workshop on Sunday. I am up in Cheyenne right now and have attended the seminars which were very good. I had a seat near Mike Beeman’s “The Mystic” and also got to see his miniature “The Green Hat”.
I look forward to perhaps meeting Mike at the reception tonight.
But to be honest at this point the sunroom has placed a damper on it all.
Wolfie

Here are 3 photos of the sunroom

1 of southside before
1 after the windows were replaced with doors
1 after most of the work was done.

meowmeow
03-04-2006, 06:13 PM
The room looks great to me...but unfortunately if the inspector doesn't like it...well...I am really sorry. It sounds like a royal pain in the you know what!

I hope you get to see Mike...and his paintings. Try to enjoy it!

Sandy

chewie
03-04-2006, 09:04 PM
thanks all about sam, he will be missed.

oh, what a bummer about that sunroom!! i would be just like you at this point, how irritating! it sure looks good too!

moving is something i hope to never do again, but since we dont' own this house....well, i bet its in our future somewheres.

i had better get back to doing sam's portrait, i wish i were done already.

Khadres
03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Sandy, so glad you do get to take the Ludwig workshop! You'll love it!
Wolfie...what a royal pain you're dealing with! This is another case of one broad-brushed law sweeping away the bad AND the good! What did the idjit inspector suggest be done??? Usually the person doing the work takes plans of the job to the inspectors office and has them okayed before beginning work...I guess your example is why they do that! The sunroom looks WONDERFUL tho...maybe you can petition the county or whatever to have an exception made in your case....the new setup IS safer in case of fire, after all! Good luck and enjoy the room anyway, drat 'em all! :smug: