PDA

View Full Version : FND 02/15 .....I tried, I really did......

dupliKate
02-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Oh dear......now I know why I have never drawn a bird before. I worked on this (pastel on bristol vellum) for about an hour...but I couldn't rescue it no matter how hard I tried.

He looks like a chickadee in a Hallowe'en costume! I just couldn't get that "toucan" look!

I knew it would be animals, Animal....and I almost went for the monkey....I think I should have! (great reference photos....really made me work outside my comfort zone...and that's good).

Here it is.....hold your nose!

K:D

RuthT
02-15-2002, 09:57 PM
This one looked so difficult dupliKate and I think you did a good job on it. :)

I'm glad I chose the monkey, it didn't have so many colours on it. But I am going to have to practice painting fur. :D

Christie
02-15-2002, 09:58 PM
While I did not participate, I like the colours in this.

Luvy
02-15-2002, 10:02 PM
Looks great to me for a first time bird *S* Keep going *S*

dupliKate
02-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Thanks Ruth and Christie and Luvy.....

I haven't seen anyone else try this one yet.....hmmmmm, why did I think this one would be the easiest???

K:rolleyes:

AriadneArts
02-15-2002, 10:58 PM
Duplikate, I think you did a great job. I REALLY like this one. Reads as a toucan to me.....:p I like the pencil? strokes and the highlights.

RedShoes
02-15-2002, 11:00 PM
I like what you did with this! I totally empathize with you though.... It has such a whispy feeling to it, I love the angle of your strokes.

Surfinia
02-15-2002, 11:04 PM
I think it's real pretty. Nice job on blending the colors.

Laura Tasheiko
02-15-2002, 11:14 PM
Great colors and strokes. Nice job, esp. in time frame.
I don't usually work like straight thru like that, but like to poke alone, take breaks, come back, stare a while... so I'm pretty tired now, L.

Yielding
02-15-2002, 11:25 PM
I really like the lines here, gives it some movement in the background.

Bendaini
02-15-2002, 11:32 PM
I didn't think you could posabily be right about the chicady thing, but i think your right... its the legs, and the little round body. I can't figure out how you did it but you did.

On the bright side, that is a very good tocan head, and his beak is just gorgeouse. All the vibrant colors in the back ground as well...

Maybe later, when you have forgoten about it or something, you can come back to it and figure out why it looks like a chickadee :) and maybe with a fresh start you can fix it, because otherwise its a marvolouse picture.

impetuous
02-16-2002, 04:50 AM
Wow Karen!
I have to agree with Christie about the colours, they are lovely (that blue really hits you) ...and I saw that it was a Toucan straight away:D

02-16-2002, 05:30 AM
Hey there dupliKate,

I happen to love chickadees in a Halloween costumes.....lol....but seriously, I think that sometimes color is more important than shape in a work of art and I just love the colors of your bird. NICE !!

Katja

Leaflin
02-16-2002, 09:59 AM
You were brave to try something you have never done before :)
I think you did a fine job.
Your colours are execellent, very bright as a toucan should be.

addphan
02-16-2002, 10:03 AM
you tried and succeeded!!!

don't be so hard on yourself...

Andrew
02-16-2002, 03:26 PM
For a first attempt at a bird I think you did a terrific job at capturing its form. The colors are fabulous. And I have seen chickadees in costume - you missed that look entirely.

Andrew
02-16-2002, 03:27 PM
For a first attempt at a bird I think you did a terrific job at capturing its form. The colors are fabulous. And I have seen chickadees in costume - you missed that look entirely. :D

Andrew

digistyle
02-16-2002, 03:47 PM
I like this, besides I'm jealous of you pastelists anyway:) The blending in the background adds interest and energy to the piece. Good stuff.

digistyle