PDA

View Full Version : Selling older work on Ebay?

walden
02-15-2002, 09:31 PM
I have gone through all of my paintings, keeping my best stuff (mostly newer) on my website, and removing from it everything that I don't feel meets the quality standards of my more recent stuff. (Thanks to great critiques on WC, I'm getting better FAST!) Anyway, I'm working to build up my website with a sizable portfolio of a consistent standard of quality before really working at marketing it, but in the mean time, I have all of this older stuff that I want to get rid of. This stuff isn't terrible-- the real losers I threw away or tore into pieces for scrap watercolor paper. Parts of each painting are very nice, and overall none of them is a failure, but I just don't feel that they're as good as the work on my site.

Question 1: if I sell them on Ebay, am I shooting myself in the foot for later attempts at marketing my better work? Will I get a reputation as a bad artist?

Question 2: I'm willing to sell them for MUCH less than I want for my better work-- like 75% less. Will the split in my prices cause problems for selling my better work later-- like people see my price went way up fast?

Basically, my real question is just, is this a good idea or not? Thanks.

Sumafra
02-16-2002, 01:49 AM
Interesting question, Walden. I have sold my older and less successful work on Ebay. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say on this subject.

cagathoc
02-16-2002, 10:10 AM
I do the same thing - I think, as you said, as long as you are making the distinction between older work/studies etc and current better quality work - no problem. Better work goes for higher prices - studies etc can go on ebay cheap.

CarlyHardy
02-16-2002, 03:36 PM
When I first began selling my watercolors, I was just learning so the pieces I put on ebay were not (what I'd consider) my best work...but that did not mean that the paintings had no merit.

If you list your work on ebay, call them studies or earlier works, but don't infer that they are not as good as your current work. I understand what you are saying...but buyers won't. Buyers look at a jpg image and decide based on that if they want to buy the painting. Keep it just that simple.
carly