PDA

View Full Version : Spring Scene - FINISHED !!!

Tom Christopher
02-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Hello - I started this pastel this evening and I took some photos of the process.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2006/35607-spring_WIP_001.jpg

Here is the rose painted gator board- 23x22 inches- with the pastel ground for tooth-- I don't like to sit and paint so I tape the board up about chest high. I always have a couple of recent works nearby for reference.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2006/35607-spring_WIP_002.jpg

Here is a closeup with reference photos --I have darkened one of the photos to emphasize the contrasts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2006/35607-spring_WIP_004.jpg

Next I have ruffed in the overall design using a raw umber Nupastel stick--I always use the side of the pastel and seldom lift the pastel off of the board ..sort of like scribbling

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2006/35607-spring_WIP_005.jpg

starting with the darkest green I have, I go ahead and pick out the dark areas of the design. then gradually move up to lighter values --I am very concerned at this point with the direction of the sunlight and how it will play on the landsape

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2006/35607-spring_WIP_007.jpg

Here- my daughter scared me and shot this photo--working the sky in with out using any white color

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2006/35607-spring_WIP_008.jpg

Next I am adding some spring color-- pinks and pale greens still very loose with broad strokes . Tomorrow I will add the details and and tighten up the design a bit--Hope I have explained the basic process to my style--Hopefully I will finish tomorrow--so far I am about 1 1/2 hours into the painting--=Tom

dlake
02-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Okay, how do you like gatorboard? never used it.
2. I love the photos of how you work. Fascinating for someone just learning landscapes and seeing a master of the landscape in action.
thanks!!!!1
diane

Paula Ford
02-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey Tom...so nice to "See" you!

Love the wip. It is always very helpful to see the painting process from start to finish.

Do you ever have any trouble with the gator board warping?

Thanks for the wip. Looking forward to its finishing touches.

Paula

artc
02-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Tom.....very,very nice AND very,very interesting....thank you for the step by step detail and photos.....I'm looking forward to seeing the finish.
Thanks.......Art

M Douglas
02-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Tom....i'm sure this is going to be another stunner. Thank you so much for showing us your painting steps.

Melodie

fortysomething
02-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Tom, I really enjoy seeing your work.

Thank you for posting your WIP. It is so very helpful to see the step-by-step progress of how pastel is (successfully) applied to it's support.

If I borrowed your kid, do you think she could scare a georgeous painting out of me too? :lol:

granddad
02-26-2006, 11:14 AM
wonderful, and thanks so very much for doing a WIP. I always learn so much from the WIP people post here. Its going to be anthor great painting when you are done with it. james

Bringer
02-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Tom,

I had to smile since the way you talk it, you make it seem easy :-)
Now I feel that I can go to my pastels. pick some paper and do a landscape the way you can :-)
This is what I like, works that inspire me to go further.

Regards,

Josť

chewie
02-26-2006, 03:41 PM
hi tom, i agree with all the other posts!! i esp. love seeing that you don't seem to make it take forever, working on one painting. you just get in there, do what you see fit, and move on. working so free and doing large shapes is something i need to work on more myself.

why do you use that type board? and how did you come across this idea (of the board)? do you ever have issues with the texture of the board being 'too much' in the wrong spot? i tried using that kinda handmade board, and the brushstrokes of the ground really bothered me.

thanks much for posting this wip, i'm learning plenty!

jmp
02-26-2006, 04:00 PM
what pastel ground do you use and w/ the gatorbrd is it neccessary to coat both sides?

Tom Christopher
02-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I have finshed the painting here is the last progression photo and the final painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2006/35607-spring_WIP_finished_001.jpg

Here I have added color and more detail--for more impact I am going to lighten the sunlit side of the large trees and keep adding patches of flowers and some light shining through the tree line.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2006/35607-spring_WIP_finished_002.jpg

Here is the finished painting--I am a little unsure about the road--wondering if it fits into the composition--I may have to study this a while longer ..thank you for commenting --Tom (painting time total- 4 hours)

Tom Christopher
02-26-2006, 07:13 PM
hi tom, i agree with all the other posts!! i esp. love seeing that you don't seem to make it take forever, working on one painting. you just get in there, do what you see fit, and move on. working so free and doing large shapes is something i need to work on more myself.

why do you use that type board? and how did you come across this idea (of the board)? do you ever have issues with the texture of the board being 'too much' in the wrong spot? i tried using that kinda handmade board, and the brushstrokes of the ground really bothered me.

thanks much for posting this wip, i'm learning plenty!

Hi Chewie--I first saw this type of surface when I read an article on
Susan Olgivie PSA. In the article- she explained the surface and her use of Golden ground as tooth/texture for pastel work.. I have not had any problems with the ground accumulating in one area --but I mix the ground pretty thin and apply evenly with a soft bristle brush. I have not had any problems with warping since the make up of the gator board is a plastic composite---thanks
Tom

jmp
02-26-2006, 07:18 PM
i like the road and think it needs to be there but you made it wider in the final painting...I like it better in the last progression photo. I also like the clouds a bit deeper in color as they go down towards the horizon, also seen in the last progression photo. But, those are just my opinions- it's a gorgeous painting- you still didnt answer my what pastel ground question!

PS- chewie, you can try applying the ground with a small size foam roller instead of a brush - much smoother!

Tom Christopher
02-26-2006, 07:25 PM
what pastel ground do you use and w/ the gatorbrd is it neccessary to coat both sides?

I use the pastel ground from the Golden company and mix it myself to the thickness of house paint. I don't usually coat both sides -so far I haven't had any warping problems--Tom

granddad
02-26-2006, 08:22 PM
wonderful piece and I loved the demo. james

Mike_Beeman
02-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Tom...Excellent WIP..been following this from the start and have enjoyed watching it progress. I really liked your approach and how you just blocked the shapes in...great color, great job!!

Shane Keene
02-27-2006, 01:57 AM
Tom, this is an excellent painting and I think the road fits quite well. I love watching the process you go through when painting. One little thing though: are you sure you didn't misquote the size? Maybe it's 32 x 22 instead of 23 x 22?

eyeinthesky
02-27-2006, 04:08 AM
This is wonderful, thank you for doing a wip.
Dave

Tom Christopher
02-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Tom, this is an excellent painting and I think the road fits quite well. I love watching the process you go through when painting. One little thing though: are you sure you didn't misquote the size? Maybe it's 32 x 22 instead of 23 x 22?

You are right Shane..the painting measures 32x22 inches
..thanks Tom,

Rose Baggs
02-27-2006, 08:52 AM
My Godness...this is owesome! Love your work Tom!!!! Thanks for the Wip! It looks so simple...I wish it was!!!

dlake
02-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Chris, I so love the spring paintings. Still winter but, signs of that lovely season are showing. Maybe it's your paintings???? I do love all of your paintings.
diane

avani
02-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Hello Chris,You make it sound like such an easy affair to paint a landscape like this!Hope you don't get sued for misleading people! ;)
What a lovely landscape...Just loved your step by step pictures...Thanks!

Doodlebug1967
02-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Educational and beautiful. I enjoyed watching and reading along with this WIP. Please do another for us. I need "input!" (anyone ever see Short Circuit?) and so enjoy watching the progression of works on here.

Ronda

Bhavana Vijay
02-27-2006, 04:15 PM
I keep going through your step by step pictures again and again and i still get amazed at how the painting suddenly comes alive at the last step.It takes so much confidence to know where to put what colour exactly to get that terrific effect. Wonderful, loved it!

M.A.
02-27-2006, 05:59 PM
This is so beautiful. I love the depth of colour here and the sense of being somewhere, near a highway on a great day! Thank you for demonstrating your work. I really didn't have a sense of how large this is until seeing the pic of you while you were working on it. Special thanks to your daughter for snapping that one! I'm rating this thread. It is a gem, just like your painting.

bluefish
02-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Tom:- wonderful piece of work - thank you for sharing with us!

1- how many coats of pastel ground do you use?
2- have you tried Golden's Pumice primer?
3- why the pink background? - it's rich and enhances your paintings but how did you decide on it versus another color?
4- do you ever combine the ground with the acrylic color and prime in one step?
Thank you in advance for your replies!

Tom Christopher
02-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Tom:- wonderful piece of work - thank you for sharing with us!

1- how many coats of pastel ground do you use?
2- have you tried Golden's Pumice primer?
3- why the pink background? - it's rich and enhances your paintings but how did you decide on it versus another color?
4- do you ever combine the ground with the acrylic color and prime in one step?
Thank you in advance for your replies!

Hello I will try to answer your questions:
1--I routinely use a single layer of ground mixture and dry with a heavy duty hair dryer
2. no I haven't tried the primer yet--but will in the future
3. I experimented with many colors as the base and sort of landed on this one --I am drawn to the warmer colors . the rose color seems to appeal to me and I tend to let some of the underpainting show through in selected areas
4. no I have not mixed the two.. I will likely stay with this process for a good while.
Tom

Pinecone Conniff
02-27-2006, 08:03 PM
The warm toned ground makes your colors sing and your textured surface just seems to bring out the best in you!:D
Thanks for taking the time to show us your progress...excellent!:thumbsup:
Annette

bjcpaints
02-28-2006, 03:36 PM
I love the road! Thank you for this WIP! Very inspiring!

Sumariel
08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the link, this was indeed helpful, and I do like this painting!
Suzi

Merriel
08-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Very nice. Thanks for taking the time out for your WIP. Very informative.

leirrem

Jancee
08-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Thank you for showing this demo. I'm new to this site and really enjoy getting to know so many artists. I admire all the work you post and this one is no exception. I agree with the road.......maybe it's the road less traveled?

meowmeow
08-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Another really nice one, Tom. And it is nice to see you! I don't think I have seen a picture of you and it is always nice to have a face to go with the posts!
I enjoyed the WIP. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Sandy

*Violet*
08-24-2006, 02:08 AM
just found this one as i've been away ... love wips ... many thx and wonderful job!

lynnb
08-24-2006, 02:19 AM
WOW!! This is great Tom! I am new to pastels, so demos like this are great. Wonderful painting!! Thanks for sharing this.

lynn