http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-25-2006/49260_KIF_0515.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-25-2006/49260_KIF_0513.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: My first set of beads
Year Created: 2006
Dimension: varies
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hello. This is my first post on wetcanvas although I've been a "lurker" for a while now. I consider myself a self-taught artist. I like to try everything. Up until now my passion was oils mostly. But i have always been drawn to glass. I got my first torch a month ago and its all i seem to think about. This is my first official set of beads and I wanted to share them.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My question for you is the pretty obvious stuff. What am i doing wrong? How can I improve. Thank you so much in advance for any replies

BugabooBeads
02-26-2006, 01:55 AM
It looks like you have a great start!

Lara
02-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Overall they look pretty good. Your color combo is great and the roses look good. The only suggestion I would have by looking at this picture is to melt the dots in a little more. You don't want any undercuts on the dots because they will get broken off. You want the dots to be a half circle.

Janetda
02-26-2006, 01:59 PM
You're beads are wonderful! I recently had a chance to teach my first class and it reminded me how hard it is to get a good round bead in the beginning. Your shape is great and I think you're on the road to some fantasitc artwork. I'd say work on getting your dots a little more consistent and melt them in just a bit more. But all in all I think you're doing great - keep up the good work!

kuzmal
02-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Wow, I wasn't doing that well after my first month. In fact I almost gave up after the first month. You're doing a great job. My only suggestion is, read as much, watch as many videos, take as many classes, and ask as many questions as you can.

jenn1
03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
thank you everyone for your comments!

last night i tried melting my dots in a little more........it didnt go so well for me. i need more practice learning when to take it out of the heat. i couldnt get any of them to stay raised.

im off to practice. thank you once again.
~jenn

doityourselfdiva
03-02-2006, 10:28 AM
I think your beads are AWESOME for a first set! Only a month, way to go! I agree with everyone else on the dots, I didn't melt mine in enough either, and I had them popping off everywhere. I can't do those roses yet either, you are doing good! I do like the colors too!

tinycrewoftwo
03-03-2006, 09:57 PM
You show excellent colour sense in this set. It's nicely balanced, and a nice way to use turquoise and rubino, two of my favourites.

You have used a lot of tried and true techniques that show that you are exploring, and that is a really good thing to do as you find your voice.

For your first official set, a great effort, and you should be proud.

Wait until a year from now and see how wonderful the beads you make then look! It will be a wonderful creative journey. Save these beads - I have mine hanging over my bench because I strung them on that stinky leather cord.

Yours, though, are pretty enough to wear...until you see how great your future beads will be!

Congratulations!:cat:
Carol Anne

Alaskalinda
03-13-2006, 03:43 AM
They are wonderful for your first set, only a month, WOW!!!! Can't wait to see your beads a year from now and hope you keep on making them and learning, you will be fantastic!

delicateweasel
08-03-2006, 04:49 PM
You sure you're a newbie?
R.

GNARLA
08-05-2006, 06:16 AM
Very wonderful! It took me longer than that just to get a simple round bead! And you have tackled colors I still have not yet dared to try to achieve!

TerryMC
08-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Jenn, I think your beads are amazing, all that embelishment that looks like it's meant to be there, and not just dabbed on with the hope it would stick. You must be thrilled, I know I would be.

I started on the 1st of August, 5 days ago, and have some in the kiln annealing. I'm including a picci of my second session results, nothing very adventurous, just trying for the best shape I can get.
I'm hooked 'tho, just love it.