PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy Hands

Merry Scribe
02-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Val:

You asked me a week or so again if I could show some other hands. Well I put together some of the more popular hands that people request my to do.

They are not in order of popularity but in an order that I felt that peole can see the differences between hands best. The phrase in the sampler is:

"The quick elves jumped over and fit the buxom woman in a gauzy gown."
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2006/75646-000_0122.jpg

I just noticed that in the old english and the Michon I left out the word woman in the phrase.

boobookat
02-23-2006, 11:53 AM
HAHAHAHA! Oh, I'm sorry- the hand is fabulous! But the phrase! I am so glad I logged on today. It made my day.

And no blots~! Very impressive.

Marci

valchina612
02-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi Brian,

These are all really good, and a nice variety. It is a VERY fascinating subject. I created a Hobby Course in Calligraphy about 20 years ago, and taught it at the Technical College, in Galleries and in Art and Craft Shops on a continual basis until a couple of years ago. Now I am concentrating more on my Art, but I still use Calligraphy for my own personal use, and still get quite a few Commissions. It's a bit like a magnet, keeps drawing you back to it.
Thanks for posting these samples Brian, as they are really good. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

prairie painter
02-23-2006, 07:45 PM
I love the one with the loops and flourishes. I don't experiment with different hands too much, tending to go with whatever suits my mood- which is usually as loopy as, well, I am! And nigh-on unreadable. And highly ornamented, though despite all my instructional tomes, I can't seem to make gold leaf stick properly. I generally save myself the frustration and dive right into the gold ink, a poor substitute but it works for my doodles...

sassybird
02-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Thank you for sharing this, Brian. Calligraphy is something I have always apprecitated.

Merry Scribe
02-24-2006, 09:44 AM
:wave: Thank you all for the kind words, these are just 6 of my favorite hands. I can do about 40 different hands but there is one thing I have found out about all these different hands and that is if you are not a caligrapher it is sometimes very difficult to see the difference between all the different hands. The 6 I posted show a very different hand in each.

I am glad that you enjoy them and if the Calligraphy Forum is started I would be willing to teach anyone who is interested calligraphy. I have developed a teaching method that makes learning calligraphy very easy and fun. The only tools you need are pencil/gel pen and paper to learn with my method.

Thanks again for the kind words.:)