PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Question (UK Users Please)

salmon
02-15-2002, 10:34 AM
O.K. I've got to admit it. I'm a complete moron when it comes to
business and money matters. I also suffer from numerical dyslexia.
It has a got a name but I can't remember what it is. Oh yes, and I
have a short attention span and selective memory.

I've been putting it off for ages but now I need to get myself a PayPal
account.

Is there anyone here please that could direct me to some easy to
understand information on PayPal from a UK perspective?

I would be most obliged for any help or links to useful URL's.

I have been to their site and I do think I need a Premier Account
but then it all went fuzzy and I started hyperventilating. ;)

salmon
02-15-2002, 11:45 AM
Oh this is getting embarrassing. Just been to PayPal site again
and found the Help link. This breaks it all down into reasonably
easy to understand chunks. I'll give that a go, but, if any UK
users still have any tips or warnings, I'd still be keen to hear them.

timelady
02-20-2002, 07:31 PM
My only advice would be this: pay attention to the extra fees. Now don't get me wrong, I like PayPal. I like it a LOT. But you will get charged the transaction fee for each payment if you have a Premier account. AND you get charged the international exchange fee when you withdraw the money into your bank account. Just so you know!

You may want to check out Billpoint UK. The fees are lower, but I've just signed up with them so don't have experience with what the actual fees and exchange rates work out as. You can use it for other things than eBay too (as with PayPal, but since Billpoitn is owned by eBay I thought it worth pointing out). (www.billpointuk.com)

Nochex can be used for UK debit cards, again I'm signed up but haven't used it yet. (www.nochex.co.uk)

Auctionpix is a site run by an individual in the UK and he is very well regarded for cashing US$ checks and money orders for no fee into sterling. Again, haven't used him yet but he's bookmarked on my browser because he's been recommended so many times and answered my questions promptly. (www.auctionpix.co.uk)

Hope that helps a bit. Breathe deeply and only read a bit at a time. :)

salmon
02-21-2002, 07:36 AM
Thanks very much for the info Tina.
Just bracing myself before I take my first steps.

Maggie J
02-21-2002, 07:47 AM
'you will get charged the transaction fee for each payment if you have a Premier account. AND you get charged the international exchange fee when you withdraw the money into your bank account. '

sorry to but in here Salmon!, Tina - I have a premier account, do you know if the business account has these same charges?

Salmon, I'm a relatively new paypal user too - it's all very confusing isn't it. I'd listen to Tina's tips- I always do!

timelady
02-21-2002, 09:51 AM
Er, I don't know. I would think so, I don't know what the differences really are between the premier and business accounts - I think I have a premier account for my "business". Basically, the transaction fee applies to accounts that get more priveledges, like accepting credit cards, as far as I understand. It should be outlined in the account info on your PayPal account - somewhere a link about fees for different types of accounts?

The international conversion fee will apply to any account if you're withdrawing funds to a non-UK account. The price we pay for being limeys. :) (well, technically I'm not a limey, but there you go)

For what it's worth, I checked around with local small businesses about renting a credit card machine from a bank. Most banks charge 20 a month or so for having the machine, on top of the transaction fees. Since PayPal doesn't charge me unless I actually *have* a transaction I figure it still works out cheaper for me. Some months I have few to no credit card sales. (20 would be 10% of my average eBay earnings a month, PayPal percentages work out less.)

Tina.

Maggie J
02-22-2002, 04:04 AM
'I'd listen to Tina's tips- I always do!'

Sorry Tina - didn't mean to put pressure on - it's just so helpful to have info from someone with eBay experience who is in the UK, no offense to members in other countries, it's just that different rules and laws apply and it's helpful to have a 'limey' slant on things!
:D

Aselka
02-27-2002, 11:02 PM
I'm a new user of PayPal and i was confused. I opened personal account, but there was a comment that you cannot accept credit cards on Personal account.
Yet there is also note that personal account provide all basic features (auction payments, etc.).
Can i or not accept credit cards payments??
Thank you in advance for responce.

Aselka

timelady
02-28-2002, 05:45 PM
You can NOT accept credit card payments. You can accept payments from customer's existing PayPal balances.

Warning: if a customer tries to pay you with a credit card PayPal might decline the payment or might give you the option to accept the payment and upgrade immediately. Definitely look into this.

This will also happen if you take more payments in a month than you're allowed (I believe the limit is something like $100 per month?) but the difference is they will REQUIRE you to upgrade before you can access your account again. Or at least it used to be that way so keep an eye on that too.

Tina.

Aselka
03-02-2002, 05:17 PM
Thank You Tina for a very prompt responce!!!
It was really helpful!

I posted few my work on e-bay... but it did not get much, there is still hope!

Good luck in your art!

Aselka

Mo.
03-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Hi there,

I'm fairly new to Paypal, been using it for around 5 months now, but this I will say, I have found it good!! It's easy to set up, and what I do is check the conversion rates, as these alter from day to day, then I add the conversion costs to the price of the piece I'm selling, so that I'm not out of pocket.

I also must say that I have excepted foreign cheques, and they have cleared in the same time as Paypal has cleared their electronic transfer. i.e. 7 days! and the charges were about the same . I bank with Nationwide Building Society.
Hope this info is of help to you.
Cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
03-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Ooops.. forgot to mention, I have a business account, but you are allowed two, a personal and a business/premier account.
Credit cards are not accepted on personal accounts.

Cheers,
Mo.