PDA

View Full Version : Another Monday's model

Dima
02-15-2002, 05:59 AM
Done in last mondays modelling class on packaging paper appr. 75x110cm.
Love pastels for their colours but find them somewhat difficult to handle.

Dick

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2002/Maav1102.jpg

Merriel
02-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Dima: I like the soft edges and shading. A few highlights would could be considered.

Leirrem2

Charles Perera
02-16-2002, 05:08 AM
Lima,

to be frank this painting falls far from my expectation, for the following reasons.

The pose is not attractive, it lacks a lyrical beauty. The whole painting looks incomplete, not "worked on", to put your own heart into it. It looks as if you forced yourself to do it.

I am sorry, to say it. But I see so much of potential in you that you had, somehow or other, not exploited to the best.

I am not much of an artist for nudes(or other subjects as a matter of fact). But when I see a good one I really move in. I think a woman's body is most beautiful to draw,whether old or young, but it has to be treated well.

Pastel is a fascinating medium.

Charles Perera

<http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/charles17/index.html/

Dima
02-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Thank you Leirrem2 and Charles,

This was done last monday evening in a modelling class.
In this class some 10 to 12 people attend to draw/paint.
I usually come in late meaning I have no control over the pose nor over the place position I can take; I have no problem with that as I regard these classes as learning experience.
I have little experience with pastels and this may be the 9th to 10th time I ever tried my hands at them.
I enjoy seeing good pastels but still find them hard to handle myself.
This one was done in 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour on parcel paper.

Leirrem2, I take it you mean highlights on the body? What colours would you use for that?

Charles, as I said I do not really have a problem with the pose and this not finished work that is up for sale. It is an exercise for me. And apart from the time I worked on it in class, I haven't worked on it nor did I intend to, but if you would have any suggestions on how to go about completing this one, I would be grateful.

Dick

sandge
02-17-2002, 12:47 PM
This is lovely - you have used a great range of colours to show light and shade. I think they just could have been used stronger which would give more solidity. Don't be afraid to work one colour over another to build up tonal value. You might want to organise you pastel box by tonal value.

I bet I know which part gave you the most trouble: the head. The reason I say that is because that part has most pastel on it. You probably spent ages on that part alone - try to divide you time more equally over the whole work so you build the picture as a whole.

I know what you mean about not having control over the pose. I think life drawing in a class or group has particular challenges - it's not like still life where you can arrange things to suit. I personally think the pose is not bad - at least you didn't get stuck with something involving a lot of forshortening - like the top of her head! If you get an awkward pose, you could consider just doing part of the model - a portrait perhaps.

Great job, though. There is nothing like a regular life class for improving your art. I hope you post more, I'm looking forward to seeing how you develop. :D

sandge
02-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Dima
This one was done in 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour on parcel paper.

Oh, and get better paper.

Your're making things harder for yourself because you'll never be able to build up lovely layers on parcel paper.

Also, you never know which drawing is going to be your masterpiece!

Merriel
02-17-2002, 03:27 PM
I agree with Sandra completely. Use the same colors you have but apply them heavier.
I do have one suggestion however, to sit something down like under her
body I use a darker color. of flesh tones. Definetly get better paper. There is a student grade of Canson that isn't too bad, and you can use both sides to make it
go further.

Leirrem2

Charles Perera
02-17-2002, 05:15 PM
Dima,

I came to painting after retirement. I didn't know a thing about painting. I was fairly good at designs, though. When I retired I wanted to paint. I started with watercolours. I was bad at mixing colors. Oil was out of the question. Pastel, I found was easy to handle. Then I made my designs. When I showed them arround, they said they were good. I was not satisfied.

But nobody would tell me how really to paint, until I met a person, who told me that my paintings should be looked at from a different point of view.He told me what was wrong in them. He told me about the perspective, tone, cold colors and warm colors,etc. It was only then that I knew I was an errant artist. I had to put my self on the correct path to paint.

I read books asked questions from painters. Then I started painting and I was satisfied with them I was still not quite confident and posted a painting or two here, and I had my paintings really put under grill. I was satis fied. I still continue to put up paintings to the critic forum, as there are good painters here who are willing to give a helping hand.

That is why I said that I did not like your painting. But , I saw in your painting that you had talent, the feed ins you are getting now will be really useful, to make your talents come out. I am not good at painting a nude figure. I have not done any, I never attended any class.

Charles