PDA

View Full Version : Answers to some questions about this forum

JamieWG
02-21-2006, 12:23 PM
We staff members have received many questions from members regarding whether or not their work qualifies for inclusion in this forum. We've been discussing this behind the scenes for a couple of weeks now. As one of our staff members put it, "The truth is that sometimes we'll do work that we just won't be able to post here :( ; the forum has to maintain its focus, and I think it can degrade pretty quickly."

The thing that distinguishes our forum from any other on Wetcanvas is that the work here is done from life, in front of the subject. Whether an oil painting or a colored pencil piece, a still life or a figure, it may be posted here only if done from life.

Many plein air organizations state that work must be 90% plein air, or 85% plein air, or that only minor touchups in the studio are permitted for plein air works. Here on Wetcanvas, we have not set a percentage. Certainly those minor touch-ups away from the subject can still be considered Artwork from Life. However, the more time we spend away from the subject, the less "from life" the final work is. We ask that when posting your work here in the Artwork from Life forum, you are honestly able to say that it is a piece done from life. If significant work is done from a photo or imagination after working from life, please post the "from life" portion of it here. You may certainly post the finished piece in another forum when it is completed, and may then post a link in your "from life" thread to the finished work.

Thank you all for your understanding, and for your help in maintaining the focus of the Artwork from Life forum.

The Artwork from Life Forum Staff

Bill Foehringer
02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Will the Figure and Still Life Channels be made part of the Artwork From Life Forum? BillF

JamieWG
02-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Bill, I'm not sure I understand your question. The still life and figure forums accept work from photos and imagination as well as from life. The Artwork from Life forum is only for work done from life, so will remain separate. Does that answer your question?

It would take a LOT more traffic in this forum to break it up further into subjects! ;)

Jamie

JanB
02-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I think there may be some confusion for folks who work predominantely from life, regarding the still life and figure forums, as evidenced by Bill's question. They may not realize how many (and there are many, many) artists who work from photos and/or imagination. From my travels and visits around WC I have to say that that working method dominates most other forums (less so in figure I think). Which is why it's so nice to have an Artwork from Life forum now. I would encourage people to continue visiting the other forums that fit their work and cross-post and link back and forth in their threads. That's a nice way to interact with the broader WC community, make new acquaintences and friends and get more feedback.

LarrySeiler
02-22-2006, 10:48 AM
I agree with you Jan...and it continues to amaze me how there is a degree of hostility that exists just beneath the surface of skin of some (not all) members...for I've had folks ask me for an accounting of how I paint certain things in many different forums I frequent. When I emphasize the importance of painting on location or from life...this hostility sometimes rises to the surface as though I would have done a greater service to have described a formula that could have been imitated, for my emphasis for what works for me is taken as insulting the preference others have for working from photographs.

I worked from photos for years, painte instudio for near 20 years. I am not painting as a sport taking sides for one team or another, and it seems so many artists are prepared to take such sides.

I simply have to call it the way it is. I built a reputation working from photographs and instudio that I don't deny nor bemoan, but it wasn't until taking it outside and painting from life that I believe my eyes were nearly born anew and my life and spirit as an artist experienced a Renaissance of its own. That's simply my testimony, can't be separated from why my work looks as it does now. In wishing me to spare insult to themselves, others would prefer me to lie or deny that essential part of who I am.

Its unfortunate such hostilities exist. Part of me can't help but think when someone is so hostile, they do so to cover up inner doubts and pretenses. Perhaps they are afraid not being able to endlessly fix to match the photo, but instead be forced to get it right all the sooner would reveal an uncomfortable incapability.

Heck...we all faced that moment and have our carnage of bad works in making the adjustments...which we now come to understand are the dues we must pay.

Bill Foehringer
02-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Wrong assumption then. I thought most still lifes and figure works are done from life and that it would be a natural way to bring more of those artists together here under the artwork from life umbrella. Looking to be more inclusive not divisive. BillF

FriendCarol
02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm with you, Bill. Although I knew some figures were painted from photos, I had no idea anyone ever painted a still life from a photo! (Other than for the WDE, that is, which has to be from a photo.)