PDA

View Full Version : question

lost4words
02-21-2006, 01:22 PM
I was about to post a pastel drawing of mine in a thread about weekly drawing when I noticed the date was 6 years ago lol
What's the best place to post work in this part of wet canvas?

lost4words
02-21-2006, 01:33 PM
What the hey, here goes;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/outdemonsout/pauline.jpg

I used conte pencils for this drawing and I'm never sure if they are regarded as pastels.
Also, i used sugar paper which is often derided but it seems a good surface to me.
I sometimes use charcoal for life drawings and wonder if that can be included too?
Personally, I use whatever suits the drawing at hand and change all the time - i hate the idea of having a 'style' and try out new methods and materials all the time some of which I return to periodically.
x

Khadres
02-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Best place to post individual work that's taken more than an hour to complete is the Soft Pastel Studio area. Unless, of course, it's done in oil pastels, in which case you should post it in the Oil Pastels area. If it's a sketch type thing and took an hour or less to complete, you can post it to the Pastel Talk area's Weekly Sketch thread. We welcome work wherever ya wanna put it really! Post away! :D

EDIT--oops, ya already did post! LOL This is lovely! I'm not sure it'll be considered a drawing or a pastel really, but I will refer it to one of the moderators and if it's considered a pastel, they'll likely move it to the Soft Pastel Studio where you'll get much more feedback.

Beautiful work! Thanks for posting it!

lost4words
02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks Sooz,
It's not soft pastel - it's in those hard conte pencils.
It took about 30 mins and is one of a large series of working drawings for a painting in oils.
it's about A4 approx

PeggyB
02-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Conte is usually considered a hard pastel. I'd say this is a lovely pastel drawing only because in the general sense of things, drawings generally refer to one color having been used to create the image, and paintings are created using many colors. However, that is just a loose interpertation of either "drawing" or "painting". LOL

Peggy

lost4words
02-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh yeah, I see that now

Donna A
02-21-2006, 02:29 PM
What the hey, here goes;

I used conte pencils for this drawing and I'm never sure if they are regarded as pastels.
Also, i used sugar paper which is often derided but it seems a good surface to me.
I sometimes use charcoal for life drawings and wonder if that can be included too?
Personally, I use whatever suits the drawing at hand and change all the time - i hate the idea of having a 'style' and try out new methods and materials all the time some of which I return to periodically.
x

I am assuming sugar paper uses sugar----and my concern would be how well it would last. The sugar would certainly attract little tiny beasty bugs over time----and the attraction to moisture, etc. would certainly foster mold or "foxing." I know that many people either do not care about archivalness---or do not take it into consideration. If it is just a "practice" piece of artwork that is going to be tossed, may not matter. But then I'd rather practice on a surface and with materials that I want to use for "serious" work. I want to know how things will behave; how they will respond to me and how I might best USE the materials for what I want. For me, I do use archivalness as part of my criteria for materials.

I'm also an experimenter! LOVE it! Ohhhhhhh----the materials and methods I've found delight in playing with! Or, sometimes----ho hum, that's not IT for moi! :-) I think that when we are expressing truly out of our intuitive, reaching inside for the heart of our creativity, OUR style simply flows out, but it can be such a challenge sometimes finding "that" place! It can all be very much like trying on shoes! We need to try all sorts of things to find out our best fit, best feel----for OUR use, OUR needs. But then when we find "US" I think it is living in that particular flow of expression that will represent a mature body of work. And then in time we grow more----and after more experimenting, sounding our depths, we arrive at a new body of work. And then.... :-)

Geeee, it's such a great adventure! Donna ;-}

Khadres
02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm probably confusing the issue here by suggesting the conte picture might belong in the Soft Pastel area....actually, the Soft Pastel sub-forum takes in ALL hardnesses of dry pastels as opposed to Oil Pastels. This includes such things as NuPastels, pastel pencils, etc. as well as bona fide "soft" pastels.

My suggestion for this one would be to link it over to the Drawing forum as well as here since I think those working in single color drawings would benefit greatly from seeing it.

As to the idea of a "mature body of work", I think that is one of those things that keeps evolving for the artist who is perpetually searching for their creative Nirvana, so to speak. About the time I think I'm just about atop the mountain, I find out there's yet another higher one hiding behind the peak, enticing me forward. The journey holds the best of life, reaching the ultimate destination would mean death...at least for me. But then I'm weird. :cool:

K Taylor-Green
02-22-2006, 12:01 AM
I think it is a beautiful piece, but I'm a bit unsure where it should go, too!
Charcoal definitly belongs in the Drawing and Sketching forum. But this could possibly go in both. I know that if it were mine, I'd show it there as well as here!

DrBrad
02-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Gorgeous work wherever you decide it goes.

lost4words
02-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks everyone - you are really sweet :-)
I'm not so bothered with archiving my work. I'm more or less housebound and most of my art activities take place on the net. More people have now seen that last drawing of mine than will ever see it in real life, so as far as I'm concerned I'm archiving it here!
Sooz - maybe the definition is about dry or oily pastels rather than soft and hard pastels.
I sometimes grind the pastels down with a blade and apply them with a stump so that's different again.
It's a confusing area - I remember at college being told that any work made with pastels is regarded as a painting but I've never really accepted that idea and prefer to think in terms of paintings and drawings being a wet and dry distinction. I know, I know; what about dry brush techniques!
It's all fine by me really - I'm just happy to be here :-)
I don't know anything about the manufacture of sugar paper - laziness! 2mins with google would put that right.
My oldest drawing on sugar paper is from the late 80's and still looks the same as ever. It fades badly in light though, so I don't have them out - just in a folder.
Thanks everyone x

E-J
02-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Hello there. The term "soft pastels" refers to dry or chalk pastels of whatever brand or degree of softness, as opposed to oil pastels.

I remember sugar paper from art lessons at school ... I used to hate it. We were expected to use gouache most of the time, so it just soaked up the paint like toilet paper!!

Whether you choose to refer to your pastel work as painting or drawing can also depend on the particular techniques you use. If you swipe on colour using the side of the stick, rather than making linear marks with the point or edge, and if you work in blocks/masses of colour then it is more akin to painting with wet media than drawing.

Your picture isn't showing up for me. :(

lost4words
02-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi E-J,
You've just hit the nail on the head!
I believe that most people who say;
'I can't draw'
have a similar experience at school. Mis-matched materials - trying to draw half a cabbage in charcoal on shiny paper or trying to scrub enough colour from those awful 'disc' paints - eeeeek!
Yes, sugar paper is awful to paint on but great for a life class when used with chalks etc. It comes in a huge range of tones and I'm a big fan.
I know that proper pastel paper would be better in some way but the surface is better suited to those lovely soft, crumbly artists pastels than to a drawing in my opinion.
Whatever works though - It's funny how most of my best work seems to done with the wrong materials. I've always been on a low wage and maybe it's just nerves at having to 'justify a 4 sheet of paper. Sad that financial concerns would affect anyones creativity :-)
I'm sorry you cant see the picture.
Here is the address for it;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/outdemonsout/p.jpg

You can paste that into your browser bar or into google etc and go to it that way. I'm hosting it at photobucket but that's only one way to skin that particular cat and if you know a better way I'd be glad to listen and learn :-)
pleased to meet you anyway.
P.s I love all the work you show on your site. The pastel painting of lillies is my favourite.
I like to paint them myself in watercolours or pen and ink.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/outdemonsout/FULLPIC1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/outdemonsout/lily3.jpg

E-J
02-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh, your drawing is beautiful!

Really nice watercolour work on the stargazers, too. They're my favourites :)

lost4words
02-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Is that the correct name for the pink lillies? that suits them so well :-)