PDA

View Full Version : Gioconda Koh-I-Noor soft pastel pencils

binkie
02-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Does anyone use the Gioconda Koh-I-Noor soft pastel pencils? I bought the cretecolor set while taking my first pastel class and have never liked them; they are too hard. I noticed that there are a number of the Gioconda pastel pencil sets on eBay and wonder if anyone can tell me how they compare to other brands?

Thanks!
binkie

dlake
02-21-2006, 01:32 AM
I toyed with the thought of getting them. I never found anything about them. So I finally bought faber castell pencils and I really like those. Also, carbothello is a good pastel pencil.

Dot Hoffman
02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
I bought a set on ebay. They're okay, a little on the hard side. I bought a sampler set from Dakota Pastels, but haven't had a chance to play with them much. So far my fave in there is Faber Castell Pitt which gets good ratings here. I guess if you can get a set of the Giaconda's for el cheapo, and don't like them, you won't be out much. You could always use them for practice.

Dot

KJSCL
02-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi Binkie

I bought a set of Giaconda's a long time ago and from my perspective like them much better than the Cretacolors. They are softer than the Cretacolors but not nearly as soft as other brands. If you are looking for pencils to just to build up your collection - go for it. However, that being said, if you want to invest in pencils that you will end up always using, I'd recommend that you go for a good set of CarbOthellos, Derwents or Faber Castell Pitt (in that order). I use pastel pencils quite a bit and the CO's are my favorite

binkie
02-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks so much for the advice. I've been wanting a softer set so probably will pass on the Gias.

binkie

jmp
02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Wait a minute- aren't Giaconda and cretecolor two different types of pencil???
Both MADE by Koh-I-noor?? I bought them as my first pastel pencil set - and gave them away after buying some stabilo and derwent- they were in a silver tin, pretty sure they were Giaconda. I don't think they were BAD, they were just kind of blah- colors not too strong, texture kind of dry/chalky...I probably would have found some use for them if I'd kept them, but they wouldn't be the first I'd reach for. The cretacolors I have, I bought open stock in some greys and nuetrals- I wasn't sure who they were made by- i guess it IS Koh-I-noor, but those I like, they seem denser and have a firm consistancy...also, they don't crumble too easily when sharpened...thats definately a deterrant for me- I love derwents but they are a pain in the butt to sharpen. ( Pitt pencils are the best in that regard.)

Anyway, it its the Cretecolor pencils, I'd get them. If its Giaconda, I'd only get them if they were very cheap. I think you can find different uses for all the pastel pencils out there, though you will certainly use some more than others

dlake
02-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't think Koh I noor and Cretacolor are from the same company. I did some reading on the pencils when thinking of getting some several months ago and I have the impression they are from different companies.
Maybe I'm wrong.
diane

KJSCL
02-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Jennifer
Cretacolor pencils are made by a company in Austria whereas the Gioconda are made by Koh-i-noor out of the Czech Republic

jmp
02-24-2006, 11:42 AM
ah ha- so then I didn't understand this thread. oops, sorry. .

HarvestMoon
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I use them- like them a whole bunch actually.... really nice ones...
linda

Paula Ford
02-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I have a set of 48, won on Ebay, and like them very much. I use a nice sharp black to sign my paintings. They stand up well in an electric sharpener and are great for detail.

Paula