PDA

View Full Version : Still life with Bones..wip

ChuckL
02-20-2006, 05:02 PM
...Here's one I started yesterday. I was getting tired of small paintings:) . This one is 38x24.. For some reason I had great difficulty getting a correct drawing of this...I finally settled with the middle bone being much smaller then actual scale....still tempted to wipe clean and do something different. The picture of the setup's a bit wonky...sorry. Maybe I'm just feeling pessimistic because of a bad back. ...Actually, now that I'm looking at the image on the uploader I think it is worth going forward with.:rolleyes: ..now if only I could stand up for more than 5 minutes ata time.
thanks for looking, comments welcome
....chuck
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2006/49402-bones1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2006/49402-bonelife.jpg

Chouchou
02-20-2006, 05:49 PM
IMHO, it's definitely worth perserverance. In fact, if you hadn't said that it's a WIP ... I would have thought it was completed. Can't wait to see it when YOU are happy with it.

P.S. You have my sympathies on the back issue ... been there. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

JamieWG
02-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Ouch! What happened to your back, Chuck?

Yes, definitely worth continuing. You have a good composition here and moving well into 3-D Land. Good choice to shorten that middle bone. I'd suggest you go ahead and let the end of its shadow run off the canvas rather than kiss the edge. Looking forward to the next update. Hope your back gets better soon.

Jamie

Katherine T
02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Unusual - but interesting. Definitely worth persevering with.

I rather like that orange light you've got in the top RH corner of your set-up - will it find its way into your painting?

And Chuck............you need a corset ;)

Wayne Gaudon
02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Don't dare waste this. If it were mine I would keep those two angular positions offered in the top of your demonstration picture. I think they add to the piece instead of it sitting within the normal rectangle. :D

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Chuck, listen to Wayne. :D Watch that back.

Chouchou
02-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Yes! Capture that orange light!

Katherine ... thanks for showing me how to spell "persevere". :)

brianc
02-21-2006, 08:21 AM
:clap: This is really looking good. There's someone out there wanting this one. It's great for the right southwestern decor. It'll sell!

Katherine T
02-21-2006, 08:52 AM
ChouChou - I hadn't even noticed you hadn't spelt it right!

Must have been one of those cases of when we use the same word somebody else has used because it feels like the right one - you made the right choice. I just have to avoid using the same word in every sentence and failing to reread when writing posts in bursts - I've nearly done it again just now! :rolleyes:

ChuckL
02-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for commenting artist friends.
...about the back...it a recurring degenerative thing, a blessing and a curse...blessing because its a big reason why I returned to painting, curse because its a royal pain that requires constant attention. Thankyou all for your getwell wishes...feeling a bit better tody, gonna try painting after this.

....about the painting
...Katherine...( and ChouChou ) The orange light is much more pronounced in photo. There is a touch of it already in painting but it doesn't really show up in the image. One difficulty I have with painting from life is; When is it safe to exagerrate or alter things? I Love the way the light looks in photo and I think it would really add interest to the painting having a more dramatic light to dark. I was wondering how to cut down the attention on the bottom bone and I think the lighting could really help.
...Jamie that shadow does run off the edge, I'm not sure why I did that in pic, one of the many corrections I'm eager to get at.
...Wayne I was going for a zig-zaggy look with the angles, I'm sure thats partially why I couldn't get the drawing right. When I looked at it this morning though, I felt much more pleased then yesterday. She's a keeper:)
...Its kinda wierd Jim, I'm doing this crooked composition that looks just like my current upright standing position..heheheh
...Brian... Believe it or not these are actually bones I collected on the beach in North Carolina. I know the bottom one is from some kind of mammal ( dolphin?)...the other two I'm not sure, the middle is a jaw bone I think. Anyway it does have a southwestern look, which I like ( I've been out there several times-Love it ). There's so many similarities between ocean and desert.

.....One thing I didn't mention about this. I'm actually using a small chair as an easel on top of the table next to the set-up...this is so I can get that overview/slightly flat perspective I'm so fond of. Is it good for the back?maybe not:rolleyes: i
...off to paint
......................Chuck

ChuckL
02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
...Well I was finally able to return to this today. Had to buckle down and face the fact that I needed to stay off my feet as much as possible for a few days.grrrr
...I've gone ahead and enhanced the lighting effect with the warm orange glow emmanating from the top. I'm quite happy with it..picture does not do it justice....Also fixed a few of the minor drawing needs. Next thing will be to darken the tone of the place mat.. after that I intend to let myself have fun with the details of texture in the bones, burlap and place mat.( details are the fun part for me...like icing a cake:) )..I'm saving the dark linear dried seafans until near the end.
...feels good to be back in practice:)
C&C always welcome
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2006/49402-bonelife2.jpg
...thanks.....chuck

ChuckL
03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
..plodding along with this dinosaur...heheheh. I'm so very anxious to finish this, but the back thing persists. Added the dark seafan skeletons in hopes of calming down the slanted composition. ( they helped a bit ). Having great fun with the colors though. This photo is pretty true!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2006/49402-bonesA.jpg

JamieWG
03-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Chuck, it's looking great. I'm liking the soft complementary colors. This composition works for me; the broken diagonals and odd shapes grab my attention.

Jamie

Johnnie
03-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Get a chair and sit down and paint.

There is no rule that says you have to stand..

I HAVE to sit dont have any choice..

I also have a bad back but thats not the only reason I sit..

Try it You might Like It. !!!

Johnnie

ChuckL
04-15-2006, 05:55 PM
...Never thought I'd finish this one:) its been wierd ....working on small things in a direct/quick alla prima style and then switching to this piece with tight details and glazing ...must have a split personality.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
...Thankyou for the advise Johnnie..I have been sitting mostly to paint, unfortunately the setup for this one demanded a standing position for the overhead view...just worked away on it a little bit at a time when I've been able. Now at last I can clear off my dining room Table..Yeeha!! I doubt if I'll be starting any large long-term pieces that involve standing for a while.
...Anyway here it is, signed and sealed
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2006/49402-BBone600.jpg

detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2006/49402-BBonedetail.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome
...chuck

JanB
04-15-2006, 09:30 PM
WOW...amazing!!!

Katherine T
04-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Chuck - well I've just written on another thread how much I like your big pattern paintings - but I have to say I'm mightily impressed with your materials in this one! :clap::clap::clap::thumbsup:

I've got damged discs in my back and even worse feet (Dupuytren's Contracture - don't ask :crying::rolleyes:) so standing up to paint is completely out of the question. However I work round this! ;) Have you ever tried sitting down and looking down on an arrangement on the floor? It works really well with flower arrangements as you get to see really interesting shadows.