PDA

View Full Version : An avocado seed and some ivy

James or Jimmy Jim
02-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, that's what it is ... don't ask. :D My wife tries to grow strange things and she was multi-tasking here. :D

About three hours, 12x16 oil on canvas. A bit on the tonal side, but tomorrow's another day. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2006/33859-Stilllifesmall.jpg

A detail.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2006/33859-Detail.jpg

ChuckL
02-19-2006, 09:19 PM
I like this quite a bit Jim
...of course your wife should know these mixed couples never last...sooner or later they'll end up having to grow their own way:rolleyes:
...chuck

James or Jimmy Jim
02-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks Chuck. Har har har, that's like ha ha ha (with an "r"). :D I knew someone who actually laughed like that. :D :D

Chouchou
02-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Jim ... I especially love the background (including the subtle shadow of the arrangement), and the solid junction between the background and the table ...

LarrySeiler
02-20-2006, 04:08 AM
mysterious, rich and alluring....
its a good one, Jimmy!! Like it...

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Jim ... I especially love the background (including the subtle shadow of the arrangement), and the solid junction between the background and the table ...

Thanks Chouchou. It was a fun paint do this one.

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 09:39 AM
mysterious, rich and alluring....
its a good one, Jimmy!! Like it...

Thanks Larry, glad you liked it.

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 09:42 AM
I did some minor drawing adjustments to the glass ... it was bothering me a little.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2006/33859-Stilllifesmall.jpg

Katherine T
02-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Jim I like this - but am a bit puzzled by the apparently shiny more finished surface it's sitting on. It's the apparent tightness and angularity I think compared to the looser style elsewhere.

JamieWG
02-20-2006, 12:45 PM
As an advocate of the Big Mac Aesthetic, I feel that the aura of the purity of line endangers the devious simplicity of a participation in the critical dialogue of the 90s.

Besides, it's a nice painting. Heeheehee. Good job on the drawing and the turning of the leaves. I like the harmonious background.

I haven't seen an avocado pit in a glass for a very, very long time! Bet that's going to be a nice subject when it sprouts too.

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Hmmm ... it's not really supposed to be shiny, Katherine. :D I think it's just the way I paint (or attempt to). I tend to play with value and edge relationships, until I think things are working. Originally, I thought the glass was floating too much. This is more of a suggestive and sketchy result than a finished painting. (Did you buy that?) :D

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
As an advocate of the Big Mac Aesthetic, I feel that the aura of the purity of line endangers the devious simplicity of a participation in the critical dialogue of the 90s.

Besides, it's a nice painting. Heeheehee. Good job on the drawing and the turning of the leaves. I like the harmonious background.

I haven't seen an avocado pit in a glass for a very, very long time! Bet that's going to be a nice subject when it sprouts too.

Jamie

You had me for a minute there, Jamie! Big Mac Aesthetic? :D :D

My wife told me that she plans to have it outside in the summer and inside in the cold months - I believe her! She loves to grow tropicals ... but this is a little over the top. :D

FriendCarol
02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Jim, you really have me going on the 'changes' you spoke of. I put the first image in a little second window and looked at them side by side. Couldn't find a difference. Then I read what you said about making the glass sit on the table better, and realized the tiny changes are on the outside of the glass!

This looks good to me, too; and I, also, like the way you have integrated the background with the subject. Next time someone asks how to paint a background, I might send them to this thread!

Katherine T
02-20-2006, 01:32 PM
As an advocate of the Big Mac Aesthetic, I feel that the aura of the purity of line endangers the devious simplicity of a participation in the critical dialogue of the 90s.Right-on! :p

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Jim, you really have me going on the 'changes' you spoke of. I put the first image in a little second window and looked at them side by side. Couldn't find a difference. Then I read what you said about making the glass sit on the table better, and realized the tiny changes are on the outside of the glass!

This looks good to me, too; and I, also, like the way you have integrated the background with the subject. Next time someone asks how to paint a background, I might send them to this thread!

Thanks Carol. There are a few more little changes to the glass than that. :D

The "integration" that you mention is really just being careful with edges. In my opinion, edges are probably (how vague is that? :D) the biggest problem with painters all across WC ... mine are just everything else. :D :D

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Right-on! :p

It should be added that the subaqueous qualities of the facture endangers the devious simplicity of the distinctive formal juxtapositions ... I think. :D :D

Katherine T
02-20-2006, 03:30 PM
It should be added that the subaqueous qualities of the facture endangers the devious simplicity of the distinctive formal juxtapositions ... I think. :D :DOh Yah!:cat:[said with a wicked imitation of an impeccable South Kensington accent]

Wayne Gaudon
02-20-2006, 06:58 PM
This looks great to me .. just back back from an all day fishing trip in Simcoe and am gradually thawing out LOL .. got a meal of fish for me efforts and in spite of the cold it was a hoot. This painting has a real nice sense of mystery and softness to it.

James or Jimmy Jim
02-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks Wayne. So, you went fishing instead of painting? :D You're forgiven. :D

brianc
02-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Wonderful. Those oranges as the shadow of the subtle greens! Then they lead the eye up the plant, but it ends, and the eye moves down to that exquisite glass. Great!

JanB
02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
I tried to post to this yesterday and my post was lost in cyberspace :rolleyes: I wanted to say how teriffic I think this piece is!! It's one of those pieces I could look at forever and never get tired of looking...I think it has something to do with edges :D BRAVO

James or Jimmy Jim
02-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Wonderful. Those oranges as the shadow of the subtle greens! Then they lead the eye up the plant, but it ends, and the eye moves down to that exquisite glass. Great!

Thanks John ... I mean Brian. :D :D :D

James or Jimmy Jim
02-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I tried to post to this yesterday and my post was lost in cyberspace :rolleyes: I wanted to say how teriffic I think this piece is!! It's one of those pieces I could look at forever and never get tired of looking...I think it has something to do with edges :D BRAVO

Thanks Jan! Working from life is living on the edge. :D

My paintings seem to be the most successful when they look like my drawings - something for me to think about. :confused: :)