PDA

View Full Version : First Plein Airs - From My Balcony

Chouchou
02-19-2006, 06:07 PM
These are various views from my balcony ... I'm not happy with any of them, but the earliest one (strangely) appeals to me most. The "earliest one" is the middle one in the images posted below.

All three are oil on 9 x 12 canvas board, and took a couple of hours each.

Help! Any and all C&C gratefully accepted!

Chouchou
02-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Ooops ... I posted in this subforum because I wasn't technically outside when I made these; I was looking out my "studio" (living room) window. Thusly, I don't have the requisite photo reference because I didn't use one.

emogirl
03-18-2006, 01:33 PM
If this is the view from your balcony..can I come for tea??

I rather like them all....the buildings in the corner of the third one are distracting though.

Londondeon
03-22-2006, 11:22 AM
All three are great, though they are somewhat analogous in color scheme. Maybe inserting some color from the opposite side of the color wheel would help give them a little my dynamic. I like the one on the right the best, so it is the one I have chosen to make some adjustments. I added some yellows and oranges to warm it up a bit. I live not far from you and I understand the grey and green that shows in the paintings. I have found that it is too depressing just to stick to the colors and values in our environment.

Try color shifting in adobe photoshop to see what would happen if you changed green to red or whatever. for an example see my posting Lake Quinault Farm in the Open Critique section. I changed most of the greys and greens to reds. It works, but it is not the greys of Western Washington.

Good work and keep it up.
Londondeon