PDA

View Full Version : Share your custom brush here

Chiers
02-18-2006, 10:41 PM
If you have made a brush for your paint program and want to share it with other members, this is the place to do it. Be sure and state which program and version the brush will work in.

Anyone, can post any custom brush they have made for any program here. IE, Painter, Psp, Photoshop, Expressions, etc

Chiers
02-18-2006, 11:23 PM
These brushs depend on both the background color and the foreground color. They should work in PSP versions 8 thru 1X. You can tweak them with the varience palette if needed. Unzip and copy them to your brush presets. They don't work with the artist brushs just the regular brushs.

I hope I did this right!

A sample........http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2006/23771-brush_demos.jpg

leofaerie17
02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Wow thanks for sharing Sherry, im not at that stage yet but have been thinking about it, im getting sick of changing the settings all the time,so when i do do it i will post themLOL OMG fancy me making a brush:eek:

Chiers
03-06-2006, 03:46 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2006/23771-Shrubby_brush.2.JPG This is a brush made in Painter1X. It makes great greenery, shrubs, grass, +

LadyAlba
03-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Great brush Sherry Thank you it is very similar to my stipple brush :wave:

Here is my fur brush for anyone that wants it. :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2006/29951-lafur-sample.jpg

LadyAlba
03-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Here is the impasto brush I made from a pallet knife I just love this brush...very sensitive works on pressure...you can get all kinds of effects out of this by tweaking the settings. :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2006/29951-LA-impastosample.jpg

fugitive
03-19-2006, 02:18 AM
for which app?

LadyAlba
03-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Mine are for Painter IX. I don't have Painter 8 installed anymore so I could not test them in it however I have brushes I had in Painter 8 and they work fine in IX. Just not sure about going down an application series. ;o)

fugitive
03-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Someone whisper in Joels ear, about the one he was gonna provide.

leofaerie17
03-26-2006, 03:51 PM

One thing Iv learnt Greg is you shouldnt have to ask if people want to share their brushes they will, thanks a heap Marge:thumbsup:

LadyAlba
03-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Your welcome Bev :heart:

Chiers
03-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Marge, thanks for your contributions!

Here is a texture brush I made today. The sample is with the canvas texture. I'm not to sure just how these brushs work as I'm pretty much a novice at creating them in painter so I hope it works for you like it did for me. Made in Painter 1X5
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2006/23771-Tex_brush_sample.jpg

leofaerie17
03-27-2006, 10:35 PM

Sherry this looks awesome thanks for sharing cant wait to try it:thumbsup:

Jin
03-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Sherry,

Nice job! :)

Thanks for sharing your custom variant, and take a look:

Demo - Painter IX Custom Brush Variant, Sherry's S.rnd can tex (http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/demo_S.rnd_can_tex.html)

Chiers
03-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Thank you Jin. And thanks too for the excellent demonstration of the brush!

Jin
03-28-2006, 03:39 PM
You're welcome, Sherry.

I thought it might help you get past the "novice" stage creating brush variants if you saw some of the things your own custom variant can do, and see why.

It's loads of fun creating brush variants with the zillion ways Painter lets us do it, and more I doubt the programmers even thought of.

It's also a good way to relax, playing, experimenting, and making pretty brushstrokes....

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/JinsNSWmultiptls1demo.jpg

.... for example.

For this custom variant, I started with the DWC's New Simple Water variant and in the Brush Controls' General palette, chose the following settings:

Dab Type: Circular
Stroke Type: Multi
Method: Digital Wet
Subcategory: Grainy Digital Wet Abrasive
Opacity: 48%
Expression: Pressure
Grain: 100%
Expression: None

Then I tested it to see what would happen and probably made some other brush control adjustments it would take too long to figure out now.

To paint the brushstrokes in the demo above, I used this custom Color Set:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/Jins_DWC_Finer_Mop_Colors.jpg

Corel Painter IX screen prints are 2004 Corel Corporation, reprinted by permission.

Chiers
03-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Here is another kind of fun brush varient I played with today. Its a varient from a flat oil brush. It works with pressure. Light pressure paints the color on your chart, heavy pressure pulls up the color you set your brush into and mixes it with the chart color. Makes some interesting patterns as you stroke. I think the best way to get familiar with this brush is to make different color strokes across your canvas then choose another color and using different pressures just start making strokes.

Not sure what one might use this for but its fun.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2006/23771-Flat_wavy_color_var.jpg

leofaerie17
03-29-2006, 11:31 PM

Sherry it looks like you have found your niche another great brush thanks :thumbsup:

Just noticed you forgot your jpg for this one........

fugitive
03-30-2006, 05:26 AM
Here is another kind of fun brush varient I played with today. Its a varient from a flat oil brush. It works with pressure. Light pressure paints the color on your chart, heavy pressure pulls up the color you set your brush into and mixes it with the chart color. Makes some interesting patterns as you stroke. I think the best way to get familiar with this brush is to make different color strokes across your canvas then choose another color and using different pressures just start making strokes.

Not sure what one might use this for but its fun.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2006/23771-Flat_wavy_color_var.jpg
Thanks, this one looks like it has posibilites. There used to be a two color on one brush, but I forgot it. Used to do it on 7, do you know about it?

Chiers
03-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Actually I think there are a few of them Greg. I don't/never did, have version 7. However I think the brush library has it's brushes. The Artists/Van Gogh brush is one of the definate two color brushes. Many brushes can be set to pull another color into the palette color you are using so that you can blend the same as you would with a real brush and wet paint. Play with your brushes and the 'Well' palette settings.

Jin
04-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Greg,

As Sherry says, there are a few ways to paint with two colors on a brush. We can also paint with more than two colors on a brush.

One method is descirbed in one of my tutorials at PixelAlley:

Mixing Two Colors on a Brush to Paint Hair (http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/mixing2colors_on_brush_to_paint_hair.html)

We can use the Color Variability palette to set a brush variant to paint with more than one color, using one of the following options:

in HSV (adjust the Hue, Saturation, and Value sliders)
from Gradient (to see the effect easily, try it with the Painter 8 default Gradient library's Spectrum Gradient)
from Color Set (as described in my tutorial)

Some good default brush variants to try this with are:

Artists': Impressionist, Seurat (already uses in HSV but works with Gradient or Color Set too),

Colored Pencils: An interesting effect with some of these brush variants. For instance, the Sharp Colored Pencil with Size increased to 20 so you can see the effect.

Digital Water Color's: Splatter Water

Gouache's: Fine Bristle, Fine Round Gouache, Flat Opaque Gouache, Thick Gouache Flat, Thick Gouache Round, and Wet Gouache Round.

Oils: Bristle Round, Fine Camel, Flat Oils, Glazing Flat, Glazing Round, Opaque Bristle Spray, Opaque Flat, Opaque Round, Round Camelhair, Smeary Bristle Spray, Smeary Flat, Smeary Round, Tapered Round Oils, Thick Oil Bristle, Thick Flat Oil, Thick Wet Camel, Thick Wet Oils, Variable Flat, and Variable Round.

Color Variability works with more Painter brush variants but that should give you some to start with. Generally speaking, it seems to work best with brush variants that use the following Dab Types (but as you can see with the Digital Water Color's Splatter Water variant, there are exceptions):

Camel Hair
Flat
Bristle Spray

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/color_var_dab_type_demo.jpg

jaymis
04-05-2006, 02:14 PM
:wave: Thank you all for these lovely custom brushes! I decided to share one of mine too. Made for Painter ix. The tiny jpeg file is the brush category icon.

fugitive
04-05-2006, 03:02 PM
You're welcome, Sherry.

I thought it might help you get past the "novice" stage creating brush variants if you saw some of the things your own custom variant can do, and see why.

It's loads of fun creating brush variants with the zillion ways Painter lets us do it, and more I doubt the programmers even thought of.

It's also a good way to relax, playing, experimenting, and making pretty brushstrokes....

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/JinsNSWmultiptls1demo.jpg

.... for example.

For this custom variant, I started with the DWC's New Simple Water variant and in the Brush Controls' General palette, chose the following settings:

Dab Type: Circular
Stroke Type: Multi
Method: Digital Wet
Subcategory: Grainy Digital Wet Abrasive
Opacity: 48%
Expression: Pressure
Grain: 100%
Expression: None

Then I tested it to see what would happen and probably made some other brush control adjustments it would take too long to figure out now.

To paint the brushstrokes in the demo above, I used this custom Color Set:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/Jins_DWC_Finer_Mop_Colors.jpg

Corel Painter IX screen prints are 2004 Corel Corporation, reprinted by permission.
Too bad some of them look like multicolored catapillars, like a yellow and black one we had in San Diego when I was a kid. Ok; this is great stuff, Re; the custom color set; I've noticed some painter sets have magic atributes, they do put multi colors in a stroke, and I just love that, like if doing the planks on a ship, the wood in seldom one color, but sometimes many. How does a mere set do that?

fugitive
04-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Greg,

As Sherry says, there are a few ways to paint with two colors on a brush. We can also paint with more than two colors on a brush.

One method is descirbed in one of my tutorials at PixelAlley:

Mixing Two Colors on a Brush to Paint Hair (http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/mixing2colors_on_brush_to_paint_hair.html)

We can use the Color Variability palette to set a brush variant to paint with more than one color, using one of the following options:

from Gradient (to see the effect easily, try it with the Painter 8 default Gradient library's Spectrum Gradient)

Some good default brush variants to try this with are:

Artists': Impressionist, Seurat (already uses in HSV but works with Gradient or Color Set too),

Colored Pencils: An interesting effect with some of these brush variants. For instance, the Sharp Colored Pencil with Size increased to 20 so you can see the effect.

Digital Water Color's: Splatter Water

Gouache's: Fine Bristle, Fine Round Gouache, Flat Opaque Gouache, Thick Gouache Flat, Thick Gouache Round, and Wet Gouache Round.

Oils: Bristle Round, Fine Camel, Flat Oils, Glazing Flat, Glazing Round, Opaque Bristle Spray, Opaque Flat, Opaque Round, Round Camelhair, Smeary Bristle Spray, Smeary Flat, Smeary Round, Tapered Round Oils, Thick Oil Bristle, Thick Flat Oil, Thick Wet Camel, Thick Wet Oils, Variable Flat, and Variable Round.

Color Variability works with more Painter brush variants but that should give you some to start with. Generally speaking, it seems to work best with brush variants that use the following Dab Types (but as you can see with the Digital Water Color's Splatter Water variant, there are exceptions):

Camel Hair
Flat
Bristle Spray

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/color_var_dab_type_demo.jpg
I just did some things on the gouch but guess not anything to get 2 colors, maybe I need the color set. Thanks for taking the time to esplain all this to a poor immegrant. G.

Jin
04-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Greg,

It's not the Color Set alone (nor is it the only option) that allows us to paint with more than one color on the brush, but how the brush controls for that brush variant are set.

From my post at the top of this page (I think it's post # 21):

LadyAlba
04-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Can't get a painting going that I am really into so I have been playing with brushes and came up with this one Oil Pastel which uses both foreground and background colors ... hope you like it. :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2006/29951-pastelsample.jpg

LadyAlba
04-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I forgot to say this brush only works on a canvas will NOT work on a layer. :wave:

Jin
04-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Marge,

Nice brush variant! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Actually, it can be used on a Layer, but only when painting over existing color.

Because it's a Drip variant (uses Method: Drip) it just won't work on transparent areas of a Layer. This is true for any other brush variant that uses Method: Drip.

LadyAlba
04-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Thank you Jin! LOL See I learned something new! :wave: What I was doing, during my none creative painting spell, was working in the brush creator with different variants and just sliding all kinds of buttons and clicking on different variations. Lots of fun if you save something you come up with before sliding something else. LOL

justjean
04-09-2006, 10:56 PM
I finally found them LOL, now if I have done everything right here is my texture brush (the one used on the frog)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2006/36920-jeanstexturebrush.jpg

Chiers
04-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Jean, and Marge, Much thanks for sharing your brushes with us!

LadyAlba
04-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Thank you Judy and Jean for the brushes love them both!! :wave:

fugitive
04-11-2006, 02:34 AM
One thing that no-one ever mentions is that the basic brush print can be made from scratch, in fact I have made most of what I use in psp, because it's kinda straight forward in that set of programs. I imagine one could do this in Painter also, like the one Jean has on the right side, I've made ones for hair, with many more finer dots, even going down to one pixel in size. Just something to think about.

Jin
04-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Greg,

It's been mentioned in the Digital Art forum, I'm pretty sure. In Painter, those brush variants are called Captured Dab variants because an image is captured (selected and saved) to be used as the brush dab.

A couple of example variants:

Artist's Impressionist
Chalk's Square Chalk

To see the Captured Dab images for these two brush variants:

Select the brush variant. On the Brush Creator's Stroke Designer tab, open the Size section, then click the Preview window. You may want to increase the brush Size to see the Captured Dab image better.

You'll find instructions for creating Captured Dab brush variants in Painter 8 Help > Help Topics.

fugitive
04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Ok, I will thanks.

fugitive
04-11-2006, 10:49 AM
I finally found them LOL, now if I have done everything right here is my texture brush (the one used on the frog)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2006/36920-jeanstexturebrush.jpg
I ran this one and it made painter go nuts, things were blinking, and I can't remember what all, but I'll show you how it looked on my scratch pad.

justjean
04-11-2006, 11:11 AM
sorry your having problems Greg, perhaps someone else will try it out and let us know how it works for them :)

I ran this one and it made painter go nuts, things were blinking, and I can't remember what all, but I'll show you how it looked on my scratch pad.

LadyAlba
04-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Great brush variant Jean thank you for sharing I can see alot of use for this especially in landscapes as well as frogs. :wave:

Had no problems with it very smooth.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2006/29951-testjean.jpg

Chiers
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
All of the psp brushes I have posted are made from scratch Greg and the painter brushes also...unless I call them a varient in which case, well lol, thats what they are, just another brush with the settings changed. I guess a varient could be either one that comes with painter or from a captured dab earlier but with the settings changed.

As far as Jeans brush, how the brushes work depends on many other variables in painter. The brush size, the canvas size, the pressure you have set for your tablet, etc. So if you are having trouble with a brush you might keep that in mind.

fugitive
04-11-2006, 05:14 PM
But you don't make the stub in Painter do you? just the settings. I'll tell you a secret leared by long hrs of using diff programs. I lot of them have brush patterns that can be reassigned to new duty in the proggie of your choice, as making a good pastel brush can be hard;-)

justjean
04-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Just went back and tried to remake it and it wasn't made the way I though LOL ...

but if I use a new canvas
put some dots or lines on it
use selection
capture dab
open brush creator
fool with settings
tell it to copy variant
prog. says click here to build brush

is this a brush or variant ?

LadyAlba
04-11-2006, 07:49 PM
I would say it is a brush LOL Also I think that all of us do it the same way since that is the only way you can make a brush in painter...also there are so many different varients you can come up with using your favorite brush (mine is the camel hair) :cat:
Now what I find disturbing is the fact that those that share brushes after creating them find it necessary to explain the steps taken to make them. Since it is a gift couldn't the people that download them just accept them as such instead of questioning.

Chiers
04-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Yes Greg, I make them in painter from scratch. Meaning I draw the jpg for the brush too. Thats what makes it the 'captured dab' that Jin is talking about. No existing brush us used for my captured dab brushs.

Actually, many moons ago, I got the idea of making my own scratch brushes in psp from seeing the jpgs of brushes in painter classic. I have been making psp brushes for quite a long time but it's only recently that I have started to make them for painter. Probably because painter has so many, and they are so customizable already.

Chiers
04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Oops sorry Jean I didn't see your question.
Are you going to the general tab, then choosing dab type/captured, then making your settings? If so, you are making a captured dab brush. When the brush is one of the brushes already in painter with only the settings changed, then it is a brush varient. Both are brushes but one is from scratch, and one is a varient of another.

justjean
04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Ok thanks Sherry :thumbsup:

justjean
04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
:thumbsup: Well said Marge

Now what I find disturbing is the fact that those that share brushes after creating them find it necessary to explain the steps taken to make them. Since it is a gift couldn't the people that download them just accept them as such instead of questioning.

Jin
04-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Just went back and tried to remake it and it wasn't made the way I though LOL ...

but if I use a new canvas
put some dots or lines on it
use selection
capture dab
open brush creator
fool with settings
tell it to copy variant
prog. says click here to build brush

is this a brush or variant ?

Hi Jean,

I'll clear up questions about what qualifies as a brush variant in a following post as there still seems to be quite a bit of confusion about it. This is partly due to the way the Painter interface itself uses the terms "brush", "brushes", and "brush variant", and the way these terms are used in the Painter documentation.... to say nothing of how Painter users use and abuse them. ;)

For now:

Some steps are missing from those you listed and one of them (Save Variant) seems likely to be the reason you got the error message. That error message might also be a Painter bug as it seems to appear for no apparent reason especially with brush variants imported from earlier Painter versions. Occasionally it appears with brush variants created in the current Painter version, and after they've been saved as custom brush variants. If I learn from Corel what the reason is (or reasons are), I'll try to remember to post that info here.

In the meantime here are the steps I've used that work for me:

1. Prepare the Captured Dab image by painting, drawing, using a photo, scan, texture applied to the Canvas, or part of any existing artwork.

2. Make a rectangular/square-ish selection around the area of the image you want to use as the brush dab. (Don't hold down the Shift key to make the selection square. If the sequence of movements isn't in the right order, Painter thinks we want to add to a previous selection and the result is the Capture Dab command is greyed out.)

3. Use Brush Selector menu > Capture Dab.

4. In the Brush Controls palettes (or in the Brush Creator's Stroke Designer sections), make any brush control adjustments you want.

5. Use Brush Selector menu, Save Variant (or in the Brush Creator window, use Variant > Save Variant) to save your custom Captured Dab brush variant with a unique name.

6. If you want to move your custom Captured Dab brush variant to another brush category, use Brush Selector menu > Copy Variant (or in the Brush Creator window, use Brush > Copy Variant), chose the appropriate brush category name from the drop down list, then click the OK button.

7. Go to the brush category where you moved a copy of your custom Captured Dab brush variant and check to see it's there and it's working as intended.

8. Go back to the original brush category. Since you now have a copy of it in the other brush category, delete the redundant custom Captured Dab brush variant.

9. Select the source variant and use Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant (this is the brush variant selected when you made the brush control adjustments then saved your custom Captured Dab brush variant).

You should now have the following:

In the original brush category, the source variant restored to its default state and no remaining copy of your custom Captured Dab brush variant.

In the other brush category, only one copy of your custom Captured Dab brush variant.

fugitive
04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Yes, you are definitly a brush maker, it's just the weird nominclature, and my troubles are prolly related to the other problems I'm now having, several differint warnig signs, that in yrs past, I never saw, and now it's like a disease spreading, as brushes that had no troubled past are acting up. Didn't mean for you to get bent from my ramblings.

Jin
04-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Jean, Marge, and Sherry,

Everything you see in the Brush Selector Bar's Brush Variant list and in the Brush Creator's Stroke Designer tab Brush Variant list is a Brush Variant.

That includes:

Brush variants installed with Painter IX (or whatever Painter version, or versions, you're using).
Brush variants added from the Painter IX CD
Brush variants added from Painter 7 and Painter 8 installed brush libraries
Brush variants added from Painter 7 and Painter 8 CD's brush libraries
Brush variants added from from Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries, imported into Painter IX (or Painter 7 and Painter 8)
Custom brush variants downloaded from the Web (either individual brush variants, from brush categories, or from brush libraries), created and shared by other Painter users, and Painter artists, writers, and instructors, then added.
Custom brush variants added from third party Painter book CD's brush libraries, brush categories, or as individual custom brush variants
Custom brush variants you create and save.

Among these are:

Default brush variants that neither you nor other Painter users have customized and saved as custom brush variants. Among the default brush variants are default Captured Dab brush variants.

Custom brush variants you and other Painter users, artists, writers, and instructors create based on default brush variants. Among the custom brush variants there may also be custom Captured Dab brush variants.

In other words, no matter who created the brush variant, when it was created, how it was created, and what it's characteristics are, it's still a Brush Variant.

Even the default brush variants installed with Painter IX (and earlier versions) and on the Painter IX and earlier versions' CD's were created by people who work on (or worked on), or with, the Fractal Design Painter development team, the Metacreations Painter development team, and the Corel Painter development team, using the same brush controls available to us (or whatever brush controls were available with each Painter version).

Though we may create an entirely new and unique Captured Dab image from scratch, and use the Capture Dab command to capture that image, it's not possible to create any kind of custom brush variant, Captured Dab brush variant or not, without starting from an existing brush variant either installed with Painter, on the Painter CD, a custom brush variant shared by other Painter artists and Painter book writers, or a custum brush variant we created earlier, based on a previously created brush variant.

The rest of what makes up that custom brush variant and allows us to test the brush control settings and then use it to paint or draw is based on:

The Brush tool (or tool that initiates the brush engine and without which we could not do pixel based drawing or painting, or even testing of brush control settings while we create a custom brush variant).
Brush Controls found in the Brush Controls palettes, in the Brush Creator, and on the Property Bar (adjusted by Painter's developers or by Painter artists to make the brush variant behave in a certain way).

Only the original inventor, Mark Zimmer, and/or original developers of Painter created the brush engine, Brush tool, brush controls, and the first brush variant "from scratch" using their artistic and programming knowledge and skills.

Here are a couple of examples of custom Captured Dab brush variants I created last night that demonstrate how any custom brush variant (including a custom Captured Dab brush variant) is based on a source brush variant (or an existing brush variant) which we just use as a basis:

NOTE: It happens I remember the chain of events leading up to these two custom Captured Dab brush variants. The original ("ancestor") source brush variant for the first one was the Painter 7 default brush library's Watercolor's Dry Camel brush variant which I adjusted and saved as my custom Watercolor brush variant named "WCDryCamel-antique-pool". I've used that custom Watercolor brush variant many times in Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX and recently made more brush control adjustments and saved it again as another custom brush variant named "WCDryCamlantiqpool_+2". That's the one I used as the current source brush variant for the first new custom Captured Dab brush variant. The original ("ancestor") source brush variant for the second one was a default Painter IX Artist's Oils brush variant, based on which I created a custom Artist's Oils brush variant, then used my custom Artist's Oils brush variant as the current source for my new custom Captured Dab brush variant (sorry, don't remember which brush variants were used as the original source brush variant and the current source brush variant). So the "ancestors" for both of my custom Captured Dab brush variants were created by the Corel Painter 7 development team (or possibly by the Metacreations Painter development team as Painter 7 was under development before Painter was sold to Corel) and the Corel Painter IX development team.

So much for history....;)

For the first one, I drew a quick "star" (very low resolution as you can see below), made a not-so-square-ish selection around it, then used the Brush Selector menu's Capture Dab command.

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_brushes/Jin's_CapDab_041106_star.jpg

I chose one of my custom Watercolor brush variants and used the Brush Selector menu's Save Variant command and gave my custom Captured Dab brush variant a unique name. Then I restored the source variant (the custom Watercolor variant on which I based my custom Captured Dab variant) to its default state, selected my new custom Captured Dab brush variant, made a few brush control adjustments, then saved it again with the same name.

Here's a quick scribble done with the first custom Captured Dab brush variant, named Jin's_CapDab_041106:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_brushes/Jin's_CapDab_041106.jpg

For the second custom Captured Dab brush variant, I chose one of my custom Artist's Oils brush variants and saved it with a new name, again selected the star image and used the Capture Dab command. After making some brush control adjustments and playing with my new custom brush variant a bit, I saved it again with the same name. Here's another quick scribble done with the second custom Captured Dab brush variant, named Jin's_CapDab_041106_2 (which, of course, is no longer an Artist's Oils variant since the Dab Type is changed from Artist's Oils to Captured):

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_brushes/Jin's_CapDab_041106_2.jpg

In case you'd like to play with these two custom Captured Dab brush variants and maybe (probably) improve on them I'm going to provide a ZIP file. It contains everything needed to complete the basic Painter brush folder and file hierarchy:

Brush Library > Brush Category > Brush Variant

Extract the ZIP file directly into the following folder:

Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes

Jin's_CapDabTest.zip (http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_brushes/Jin's_CapDabTest.zip)

LadyAlba
04-13-2006, 01:03 AM
Thank you for the indeapth explanation of the brush thingy LOL I know that had to be alot of research on your part! Much appreciated. :heart:

fugitive
04-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Ms. Alba, I bet she has an intire book case shelf full of CDs and DVDs just chock full of Painter info going back to floppys, and has worked and thot so much about this proggie, that it's all there, either in her mind or close by;-)

Chiers
04-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Wow, too much information for me Jin. I like to keep it simple. To me, if I created the shape from scratch, and all of the settings from scratch then it will remain a captured dab brush from scratch in my mind and if I use a brush already in existance, but just tweak the settings, then to me it is a variance. I guess I will just have to continue in my 'abusive' ways. They make sense to me.;) LOL

it's not possible to create any kind of custom brush variant, Captured Dab brush variant or not, without starting from an existing brush variant
This is only because the brush creator was set up to start with an existing brush. But once you change the brush itself, and all of the settings, it really ceases to be that brush and becomes a new one no longer based on the one the brush creator opened with, and entirely different. Actually, if you really think about it, it never was the one the brush creator opened with. That one was nothing but the key to open the door of the playhouse.

Anyway, since this thread is really for brush contributions and not how they are made or what they are called, back to business. Thanks for the contribution of your brush Jin.:thumbsup:

Jin
04-13-2006, 03:55 AM
Sherry,

Just a suggestion:

If you don't want brush creating discussions here (and I understand), how about making that a rule and we can do our brush related discussing in the Digital Art forum?

It's fine with me either way, and I don't want to disrupt the purpose of this thread.

I hope none of this discussion will be lost, though. I don't know if it's possible at WetCanvas! but in some message board forums including at mine and when I used to be an Admin and Moderator at In Depth Arts (then In Depth Discussions), it's possible to move a copy of a thread to another location, then pare out posts from the original thread so the topic remains focused.

In the Digital Art forum this thread could be completely copied with all posts included. Then the original thread left in this forum could be edited to remove non-brush sharing posts.

Again, just a suggestion to consider if it fits or ignore if it doesn't fit.

------------------------------

Since this post is already here, I'll respond to a couple of others, then stick to custom brush variant sharing posts:

Marge,

You're welcome. Not research, just the time to write, do the demo images, and put it together.

Greg,

I don't have any CD's except those that come with Painter and no DVD's but do have User Guides for Painter 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8, the Painter IX Handbook, and Help > Help Topics for all of them (plus three "lite" Painter versions), loads of practice, and a few years of teaching experience.

You could say I've been "immersed" for more than a decade. My family thinks I've drowned. ;)

fugitive
04-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Can I ask one small Qs? It seems like Joel has paper textures in his oil or acrylic painting, but I thot that paper didn't work in some, (according to what I read).

digistyle
04-24-2006, 12:21 AM
I started making some custom brushes this weekend. Its pretty fun, once you get the hang of it. I don't have any worth sharing yet, but I did turn some of my favorite Photoshop brushes into captured dabs. They don't behave exactly the same in Painter, but I was able to get some interesting effects. Here's a sample of some of them.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2006/1629-photoshop.JPG

digistyle
04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Adding some brushes to the library. Be gentle, I've only been doing this for a week or so! :lol:

Brush Descriptions:

concentric x4: A grouping of four concentric circles. A light texture brush that uses the foreground and background colors from the color selector.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2006/1629-concentricx4.jpg

grunge03: A hard edged texture and splatter brush. A ligt touch splatters the brush shape. Steady pressure causes the paint to pool with an irregular edge.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2006/1629-grunge03.jpg

slimer: An irregularly shaped "wet" brush. Try mixing and overlapping colors for some interesting results. Note: This brush only works on the canvas, not the layers.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2006/1629-liqiudysample.jpg

texture02: A gritty / sandy texturing brush. It also reacts to the paper texture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2006/1629-texture02sample.jpg

justjean
04-29-2006, 08:45 PM
thanks for posting your great looking brushes digi:wave: It is fun isn't it :lol:

Chiers
04-30-2006, 02:44 AM
Digi these look like great brushes. Thanks for contributing to our library!

Jin
06-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Hi again,

As a follow up to the thread named Pinstripe Glassy Birdies (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349831) in the Digital Art forum, below is the more expanded demo of the custom brush variant used in that little painting:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/053006pinstripeglassybirdie.jpg

Another demo, showing how this brush variant's strokes look when the brush Size is increased from its default 5.9 to 8.0 and 10.0:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/060106_pinstripe_glassy_birdies_demo2.jpg

If you'd like to experiment with it, here's my custom brush variant to download:

Jins_PinStripe_Glassy.xml (http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_brushes/Jins_PinStripe_Glassy.xml)

It's a single XML brush variant file so you can put it into any existing brush category's folder.

Put on your creativity hat, figure out something neat to do with it and show us how it's done!

I dare ya! ;)

P.S. I invite you to post anything you do with the Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy variant and/or questions and comments about it in the Pinstripe Glassy Birdies thread in the Digital Art forum (link in first paragraph above) so we can see how different artists find ways to use it. Also, it'll be better to post there so we can avoid getting off track in this thread. (You can feel free to discuss anything roughly related to using this custom brush variant, customizing brushes, and painting in general with Corel Painter in that thread without worrying about getting "off topic" or "hijacking" my thread. I love it when a thread wanders a bit into other interesting territory!). ;)

Jin
06-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I just realized that it may not have been mentioned earlier but the download file in my post above for Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy.xml the Painter IX version.

In case you aren't using Painter IX (haven't tried to reproduce it for Painter 6 and don't know if it's possible what with changes in each new Painter version):

P7Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy.xml for Painter 7 (http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_brushes/P7Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy.xml)

P8Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy.xml for Painter 8 (http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_brushes/P8Jins_PinStripe_Glassy.xml)

Again, it's a single XML brush variant file so you can put it into any existing brush category.

Elvira
06-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Jin when I click the file it opens in XML but won't copy or whatever to let me download it to my computer. So how can I get it from the web browser to Painter?
Edie

I just tried, right click save as hopefully that worked. It did and it is a lovely transparent brush, Thank You Jin?
Edie

Jin
06-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi Edie,

Glad to hear it worked! I'll be interested to hear if you find a way to make use of it. It's not the "usual" kind of brush people use for painting but it has some possibilities with a little imagination applied.

Since others may also have trouble downloading the file:

Here are the best instructions I can give you. Maybe a Mac user can tell us if there are better instructions for Mac folks.

The Mac instructions below may be out of date as they were provided by David Gell in 2003 but should be close, at least. The Windows instructions are still the same for Netscape 7.1 and MS Internet Explorer 6.0 and probably similar in other browsers.

Windows Users:

In Netscape, right click the download link and choose Save Link As. In MS Internet Explorer, right click the download link and choose Save Target As.

Mac Users:

With a two button mouse, right click the download link and choose download link to disk.

With a one button mouse, hold down the Control key, click the download link, and choose download link to disk

Elvira
06-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Jin, I found that in Foxfire right click save as worked just fine.
Edie

Jin
06-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Edie. That's good to know. :)

Chiers
06-11-2006, 08:00 PM
I have come up with another brush I would like to share with you. I call it Zipper/Forrest. If you just use it in a straight line it makes a cool zipper. You ask, how often do I want to paint a zipper? Probably not often! But the cool part is if you up the color variability, and make up and down round and round strokes, it makes a very cool background forrest.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2006/23771-Zipper.JPG

LadyAlba
06-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks Sherry this looks and sounds like a really fun brush! Can't wait to play with it!! :clap: :wave:

Vivid1
07-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Here are some links to custom brush libraries I have created for Painter 7 through IX.5;

Camel Oils (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.gell/pages/camel_oils_dem.html)
Texture Acrylics (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.gell/pages/tex_acrylics_dem.html)
Suminagashi (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.gell/pages/suminagashi_dem.html)

Here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.gell/pages/brushes1.html) is the link to my brushes download page.

David

Chiers
07-30-2006, 08:34 PM
David thanks for sharing your brushes with us!

digistyle
01-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Place the Abstract brushes folder into the Master Brushes folder (C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Painter IX\Brushes).

Descriptions of brushes

1. abstract 01 digital wet: A fringed, wet brush.

2. abstract 01 soft cover: A "pebbley" textured brush.

3. abstract 02 drip: A drip brush. This brush will work on the main canvas. It will only work on paint that already exist on a layer, not the blank layer itself.

4. abstract 03 soft impasto: A "rippley" textured brush with asubtle impasto buildup.

5. abstract 04 buildup: This brush produces a textured buildup of color.

6. abstract 05 soft cover: A nice brush to use if you want to add some randomness to your painting.
Good for creating atmospheric effects when used at about 50% opacity

7. abstract 06 two color: A brush that is suited for foliage effects.

8. abstract 07 soft cover: A spikey, broken edged brush.

9. abstract 08 hard cover: A scratch, edgy brush.

10. abstract 09 hard cover: A splat brush.

Bonus feature: The leading edge of all of the brushes turn towards the direction of the brushstroke. This helps to introduce a degree of randomness to the paint stroke and minimize a repetive patterned look.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2007/1629-abstractbrushes.jpg

Have fun!

justjean
01-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Here's a brush you might have fun with (hope I did this right :D )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2007/36920-weave.jpg

ladito
05-22-2007, 04:48 PM
will it work with IX.5???

LadyAlba
05-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes it will :wave:

Paul Darby
08-30-2007, 09:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2007/56638-Patch_Work.JPG

papertiguer
12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
very nice

cartoonmonkey
01-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Hey everyone! Strange request, but does anyone have an old brush from Fractal Design Painter 4.0, called "Hairy Brush" -(could also exist in painter 5)

I have Painter 6, and miss this old brush which looks a lot like sable brushed ink on paper!

Thanks!
C

Karen Bonaker
03-14-2009, 01:19 PM
I would like to share with you a grouping of Digital watercolor brushes.
They also are compatible with Painter 11.

Enjoy!
Use the Brush Manager to load them or install manually.

These are Digital Watercolor brushes and are based on the Digital Watercolor brush category in Corel Painter. They can be used on the Canvas layer or any additional layer you wish to add. Enjoy using them.

Manual Install to:
Mac - Applications > Corel Painter X > Brushes > Painter Brushes

Windows - Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter X > Brushes > Painter Brushes

Karen Bonaker
Digital Art Academy

gaston
04-06-2009, 07:45 AM
i find it good
thanks
I would like to share with you a grouping of Digital watercolor brushes.
They also are compatible with Painter 11.

Enjoy!
Use the Brush Manager to load them or install manually.

These are Digital Watercolor brushes and are based on the Digital Watercolor brush category in Corel Painter. They can be used on the Canvas layer or any additional layer you wish to add. Enjoy using them.

Manual Install to:
Mac - Applications > Corel Painter X > Brushes > Painter Brushes

Windows - Program Files > Corel > Corel Painter X > Brushes > Painter Brushes

Karen Bonaker
Digital Art Academy

gaston
04-06-2009, 07:58 AM
hello dear painters

I like all that kind of brushes.But I will say that new users from painter,made first a backup from your original brushes from painter. I has the experiens when you it no did,your painter go slower or he work not more right.I have my painter IX reinstalled and made a copy from the brushes and save it up a dvd. no matter what there happened,I can allways go to the originals.
thanks all for the brushes
all regards

whisperingangel
05-29-2009, 06:48 PM
wow i love brushes and i do make some of my own... unfortunatley i at this point only have psp 7 to work with so i would appreciate any brushes shown in picture so i can make abrush from it to put into psp7..... thanks so much again..
jane

ocarrillo
08-26-2009, 12:02 PM
This brushes looks fantastic.

Taiga91
07-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for sharing the brushes..I use Paint Shop Pro 9 or X2 ...I'll give them a try..Hannah

casio222
09-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Hey everyone,
new here,,,,
I want to share a set of brushes I made.
They are some sort of fantasy tree brushes.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/243/f/f/tree_brushes_by_casio222-d48f3rr.jpg

So here's the download link:
http://www.amitsadik.com/download/Fantasy%20Trees.abr

And here is an example use of the brush,
the painting called - Wild Pregnancy:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/171/c/7/wild_pregnancy_by_casio222-d2qvkdu.jpg

Enjoy!
And check out my portfolio for more photoshop home made brushes: http://www.amitsadik.com/category/digital-painting-brushes/

Yours,
Amit.

judyfilarecki
02-02-2013, 03:49 PM
HI Amit,
Your painting is absolutely beautiful. I've only just returned to Wetcanvas after a prolonged absence. I'm relatively new to digital Painting and enjoy seeing others works. soon, I'll post some of mine and perhaps a unique brush or two that I have created for Painter 12.
Judy