PDA

View Full Version : It Fell From the Sky

dlake
02-17-2006, 07:45 PM
I was sitting in my little house and looking at this poor pathetic home made easel that just can't do the job:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2006/73610-000_0329.JPG

Suddenly I hear this odd thud on my porch and open the door and this was there
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2006/73610-000_0331.JPG

It said Dick blick and wondered if it fell from the sky and hit my northern Illinois porch rather than the Headquarters in central Illinois....unable to resist and brought it in and opened it up and wow, look what it was

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2006/73610-000_0336.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2006/73610-000_0337.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2006/73610-000_0339.JPG

A Jullian Plein Aire Easel..... I don't think I'll let Blick know about this...shhhhh.
diane

PeggyB
02-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Diane you'll love your new easel, and it will be so much easier than working on the floor!

Peggy

Bringer
02-17-2006, 08:40 PM
And it's made of timber wood :-)

Hi,

Regards,

Josť

artc
02-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Good luck with your new easel Diane......Art

dlake
02-17-2006, 09:53 PM
shhhhhhhhhh. Don't let Dick Blick hear you...it fell out of the sky onto my porch with thier name on it....I just kinda "borrowed" it from them for awhile. lol!!!
diane

jmp
02-17-2006, 10:40 PM
wow...look at that nice shiny aluminum- I'm assuming those are pastel trays...
whats in the SECOND box Diane- or did the easel come in two?

so happy for you!!

Khadres
02-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Enjoy! Can't help feeling kinda sorry for the little old guy, tho!

David Patterson
02-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Well, well - look what Chicken Little brought you. This is a sad day for all the carpet salesmen out there!:D

David

dlake
02-17-2006, 11:46 PM
david, roflol!!!! Sooz, the little guy will get use as a pinch hitter and holder of my paper. Cant just throw him out because this fell on my porch. JMP, I'm happy for me too. Never had anything just be on my porch. Oh the second box, since no art stores around, when I order stuff I will add some nessitities. small pad, a few greens, stuff like that. Nothing exciting.
diane

Piper Ballou
02-18-2006, 12:03 AM
diane, this will be fun for you....I used to live in the Quad cities not too many miles from Dick Blick....but that was before I started painting, now the nearest store is in Vegas, two hour drive.
I am about to order a Plein aire easel too...will take 5 days to get here...
glad you got yours, have fun
piper

bacchusny
02-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi Diane, this is exciting! Enjoy! Here's to all the beautiful art you'll create with this!

Ian.

dlake
02-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Piper, since I live half a state up from blick headquarters, when I get stuff from them it takes about 2 days. Yeaaaaaa!!
Ian, It's already affected my art. It's helped me with refining my drawing and my painting is more precise. If you knew how I created art before, after laughing hard, you'd wonder how I ever did anything!!! lol
diane

bacchusny
02-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Diane, I understand how you feel.
Last year when I decided to take up art again I went to Pearl Paint and bought a lightweight W&N Dart easel. Sometimes when I draw at the easel I become a "wild man" ....my arms move about furiously...I stab at the paper with charcoal or pastel or brushes....I rub the paper vigorously with fingers, tortillon, cotton wool, spoons, and even my palms. The drawing board would swing from side to side as if to avoid these attacks. The wimpy easel would slowly back away from my onslaught. I would start drawing in one spot and end up somewhere else. It was such comedy! I would have to steady the drawing board and easel with one hand while drawing with the other. Needless to say, I eventually gave up and, like you, my art has definitely progressed with a better easel.

Ian.

dlake
02-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Ian, I can just see you doing that. Picturing you furiously flailing away at the canvas....
I had an awful easel that I gave up on along time ago. I ended up using these old rugs, throwing them on the floor, and like a 10 year old did my art that way. I must say, a day later, I really did not know what difference a good easel makes. lol.
diane

Tom Behnke
02-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Congrats Diane, that is great.

Ian, I was ROFL, because I am in that situation now. A craft store went out of business about a year ago, and had like 80% off everything. So I went in there and got this table easel thingy. Paid like $6 for it (marked $40 or some outrageous price like that). But don't get too excited. It wasn't a real wooden table easel, but this metal clamp thing with a narrow bar through it. The clamp screws onto the table edge, and then the bar has an adjustable 'tray' and then a top piece to lock the piece on.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize there was nothing BACKING the paper. AAH. So I went to Home Depot and got a 30 X 30 piece of flake board, and attached it to the 'easel'. I tape the paper down to that. But of course, since the only 'support' (I use the term VERY loosely, LOL) is that middle bar, when I tap, and rub, especially if it is not dead center, it shakes like a truck with bad shocks on a bumpy road, LOL. I am usually holding the board with one hand and rubbing with the other.

So, Diane, believe me when I say I am happy for you. I am dreaming of that joy in the future.

Can't wait to see what you do now. I am sure it will be lovely.

Karen Margulis
02-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Diane, How do you like the new easel? I decided on the same one and am waitinhg patiently for mine to drop from the sky!
Karen

dlake
02-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Karen
It's wonderful. You can adjust it any way. The part that holds the paper you can put at any angel.
Adjusting legs too!!
And it's sturdy. Easy to use. There are wingnuts and these big round nuts and you think, wow, how weird and hard. After a few times of playing around you'll be doing it like a pro.
It's really well made. It is worth every penny you pay for it. And very mellow and pretty looks. You will love it. and love it's sturdiness. I got the full box and they said it would be heavy. Idon't find that so. I find it easy weight and light. But, I'm use to slinging 40 lb. bags of manure and compost!!! lol

diane

Nightlight
02-20-2006, 06:31 AM
I don't have an easel.
I envy you :p