PDA

View Full Version : Swirlie Tutorial?

greatfindsct
01-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi everyone. I have a quick question, and hope you can help. I would love to make the kind of swirlies in the photo below. I've tried it with no luck. Can someone please point me in the right direction :) Thanks so much. Oh yeah, the photo is someones bead off ebay. If they are here in WC, I hope you don't mind, but the bead is beautiful :)
Thanks in advance!
Jen

Lampburke
01-21-2004, 09:45 AM
I believe that is a gorgeous example of Ms. Seeber's work. Use a cold stringer in an appropriate color to do the twist, so you don't have the problem of imbedding a metal pick in the bead glass by having it cool on you, and when you're done you can break/melt/snap off the stringer and fire polish. As do all things in here, it takes "The Three P's" ~ patience, perseverence and Prozac.

greatfindsct
01-21-2004, 09:48 AM
I believe that is a gorgeous example of Ms. Seeber's work. Use a cold stringer in an appropriate color to do the twist, so you don't have the problem of imbedding a metal pick in the bead glass by having it cool on you, and when you're done you can break/melt/snap off the stringer and fire polish. As do all things in here, it takes "The Three P's" ~ patience, perseverence and Prozac.

Yes, that sounds right, Ms. Seeber...absolutely gorgeous. I'll have to try that, I've never used a cold stringer to do that before. Oh yeah, would Zoloft work? LOL I just had to say that!
Thank you :)
Jen

Moth
01-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi everyone. I have a quick question, and hope you can help. I would love to make the kind of swirlies in the photo below. I've tried it with no luck. Can someone please point me in the right direction :) Thanks so much. Oh yeah, the photo is someones bead off ebay. If they are here in WC, I hope you don't mind, but the bead is beautiful :)
Thanks in advance!
Jen

Hi,
Here is how I do them. I need lots of practice, but when it all goes right, this is the method.

1)Make disk shaped bead and encase, or use a stiff transparent as a base
2)Melt it down until it fattens up and gives you the puckers at the mandrel
3)Place 4 (or more) equally spaced dots around belly of the bead
4)Let the base of the bead cool for several seconds
5)Bring bead back into flame and heat the spot BETWEEN two of the dots
6)Push a cold, flat-ended fat stringer directly between the dots into the spot you just heated and twist a quarter to half turn
7)Let base cool, then do the space between two dots on opposite side of bead.
8)Repeat for all the belly dots
9)Now heat the outside edge of one dot and twist that towards the side of the bead. You can choose to twist it in the same direction, or alternate directions depending on the final result you want (the ones in the pic are all twisted the same direction)
10)Repeat on opposite side of bead and do it for all the dots
11)Reshape your bead into its final shape and that's it!

Hope you have fun practicing this! Biggest tip: Make sure to twist all the dots the same amount, and it is less than you think. Don't let your base core bead get too hot or it will distort the heck out of it. If you wanted to do a search for further ideas, try using 'twisted dots' as your search term.

~~Mary

PattyK
01-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Mary - thanks for posting that *great* little tutorial!! Can't wait to give it a try. :)

mothergoose
01-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Hey Jen,
I would love a link to that auction!! That is a beautiful bead!!

And I have been doing swirlies on my own...tried to figure it out myself. It's good to have writen directions so I rated this as and excellent thread!! :clap:

Thanks,
Kim

greatfindsct
01-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey Jen,
I would love a link to that auction!! That is a beautiful bead!!

And I have been doing swirlies on my own...tried to figure it out myself. It's good to have writen directions so I rated this as and excellent thread!! :clap:

Thanks,
Kim

Hi Kim, here's the link, it's a whole set...they're gorgeous, so Ms. Kandic Seeber if you're here,,,I love these beads!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2685145024&category=34070&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1
Good idea about rating it too...I'll do the same.
Jen

gatorwife
01-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Wonderful beads and tutorial. Definetly going to my studio to try some of these! I'm also rating this thread. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dee

kandice
01-21-2004, 08:18 PM
:) Thanks for selecting my twist as an example. :) The directions Mary gave are basically exactly how I do mine, except I usually have two to four layers of dots before twisting. But of course, that's not required - I just like more depth...and the more dots the merrier!