PDA

View Full Version : With a little help from my friends...

Laura Tasheiko
02-13-2002, 09:43 PM
I was very encouraged by all the help I received here, I finally put 5 items up for auction at eBay! It took me ALL DAY! literally, but I did it - I think. I'd appreciate any comments or advice, esp. from any of you seasoned auctioners. (Right word?-I can barely turn this machine on, so I'm amazed I even tried to do something like this!). Thanks to everyone for you encouragement, advice and support.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1514416547

Well, that didn't work. I'll try it again. :o

Laura Tasheiko
02-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Oh, it did work! Maybe I'm getting the hang of this. :)

CathyD
02-14-2002, 01:43 AM
:clap: Laura, Hurray!!! You have some great auctions and the minimum bids are very reasonable. I love the poppies! You will get faster setting up your auctions. I took forever at first and now I am alot quicker.
Congratulations!
Cathy

hairballsdotcom
02-14-2002, 11:24 AM
Excellent job Laura! An your discriptions are so short and to the point. I always seem to get too wordy.

One suggestion would be to ALWAYS use all your "title" space -- like on "Poppy Flowers" you could have added "Red" "country", I think even adding the word "art" helps to bring up your listing when people search. More people SEARCH for items on ebay, that just looking in a category. Just think of any word a person might search for, and add the most important ones in the title. A lot of my titles don't even make sense since I like to include both "cat" and "cats" (most of my stuff is cat art) to catch the person thats searching for one or the other. I also include 'art' -- after keeping track of search engine searches I know for a FACT that "Cat Art" is the most used search term for my area art.

I know what you mean about it taking so long. But Cathy is absolutely right -- the more you do it the faster you get. I've found now that I put up several pieces every week, it takes very little time (its the writing that slows me down). Of course all my images are digital to begin with, so I don't have to take pictures or scan them and that helps a lot. BUT if you're selling prints (looks like you are) you can use the RELIST feature (even if it sold) and then it will literally take a couple of minutes to do the same auction over again. This makes the investment of time the first time you list seem worthwhile.

Good luck, hope you get lots of bids -- but even if you don't, be sure to relist the same one at least 3 times. I've found the third time to often be the magic number.

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/cat-artist

jackddavis
02-14-2002, 12:05 PM
After checking out your poppy auction, (very nice) I would suggest that somewhere you indicate that you are the artist. The only indication I see of this is the listing catagory. Also you indicate it is a print. Is it limited? If so, how many copies are being made? Are the prints numbered? If so, what is this prints number? Is it signed (by you, the artist)? This would be important information to a buyer, especially if they are a collector. A link to your "Me" page other than the small icon provided by eBay could also be helpful. I haven't looked at your "Me" page, but it could have a bio and artist's statement.

Except for the listing catagory, this print could be something you purchased in quantities from a dealer for resale. Since that is not the case, you should make that clear to potential bidders.

There is my two cents worth.......Do others agree...or disagree? Let's hear it. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Laura Tasheiko
02-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks Cathy and Lori (Hairball, love that name!)
I'm glad to hear it gets easier and I like the idea of being able to relist with the click of a mouse. I'll have to remember the 3rd time is a charm, and be patient! Title and description tips helpful,too. Thank you.
One question (of a million!) I'm not very good at moving stuff around yet, but how would I get my listings on my Me page. I like the way that looks, and would fill the space saving me having to talk about myself. (Still not completely comfortable with being "...out there").

Laura Tasheiko
02-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Mention that I'm an artist! Good idea, Jack. Thanks.
As for signed, numbered print... didn't think I needed to state the obvious, and that price alone, plus description would indicate it was an open run print of a painting. But I'll keep that in mind. I'm hoping dealers will purchase in quantity from me for resale. Thanks again, Jack. L

jackddavis
02-14-2002, 12:59 PM
Mention that I'm an artist!

No. I meant THE artist of this work. There is a difference. :)

I'm hoping dealers will purchase in quantity from me for resale.

Although, I don't think it is available to you, yet, there is the "Dutch" auction that allows quantities. Since you only list one in this auction, maybe the obvious isn't so obvious. It wasn't to me. Some very nice "originals" go for $15.00 on eBay and some start bids at .01 so starting price isn't a good indicator. I once started an auction at $5.00 and it went to $680.00. I expected about $30.00.

Anyway, it was only a suggestion, based on my experience and observations.

Laura Tasheiko
02-14-2002, 01:13 PM
Being visually oriented, language has never been my strong point! But I see the difference. And, you're right, Jack, sometimes the obvious isn't always that obvious. Thanks again, Jack.
PS. That must have been one exciting auction! Congratulations.

jackddavis
02-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1510659770

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1072016420

owens1299
02-14-2002, 03:16 PM
Frist off let me state that I know nothing of how anything works with ebay....

But, I just had to let you know that I think that your work is really quite nice... i used your link to check out your pieces and you should be proud of the poppy piece... good luck...

Shannon

Laura Tasheiko
02-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Great examples, Jack. Thank you.

And Shannon, thanks for looking. Glad you enjoyed the Poppies!

Sumafra
02-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Laura, beautiful work. I'm sure you'll do well on Ebay but be patient. Sometimes you do have to relist a few times.

Laura Tasheiko
02-15-2002, 07:23 AM
It came in last night in less than 24 hours after posting the Poppies! But the auction has 9 more days. I don't know what to do - just leave it and wait to hear from eBay Payments?, end auction and start another? This is pretty exciting for me. L

jackddavis
02-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Auction is not over... Must run the full nine days. Just sit back and enjoy the bidding process. You may get more bids and, of course, more money. When it ends, (after the nine days) contact the high bidder to arrange payment.

hairballsdotcom
02-15-2002, 12:43 PM
It really gets your blood pumping doesn't it? I grew up going to live auctions -- estate auctions, livestock autions, car auctions, you name it. Talk about exciting! Actually I hate the "waiting game" with eBay. If I thought it would work (and I don't think it will) I'd do all my auction in 3 days just to get them over quicker. BUT online the longer the auction the better chance the right person will see your art.

Something new I've started doing -- I tell bidders
AT END OF AUCTION -- US Bidders, please pay with your choice of PayPal or Billpoint (don't forget to add shipping) or contact me with questions.
Bidders outside the U.S. please contact me for shipping charges.
(like in this one http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1513154932 )

This puts the burden of contact on the BUYER instead of me -- MANY of them now just go ahead and pay. Makes it quick and simple. If I DON'T hear from the high bidder within 2 days, I just drop them a reminder.

I've also started doing a NO SHIPPING (in US) on "reserve auctions". I just set the reserve so it will cover the shipping. I auctioned several small items (not 'reserves') at the beginning of the year that only needed 34-50, so I listed them as NO SHIPPING. I was surprised how many people commented that it was SO NICE to not have to pay shipping.

Laura Tasheiko
02-15-2002, 01:04 PM
I like that "At End of Auction" idea, Lori Lee. Your whole description page looks so nice! I'm still trying to figure out how to do the most basic things on a computer - like links, and moving stuff around - but this lesson in patience that you and Jack keep talking about I need to apply to myself, too!
And now that you mention it, I haven't been to a live auction in quite a while. That would break up the winter doldrums and be a fun cabin-fever reliever. thanks for the reminder. L

CarlyHardy
02-15-2002, 06:03 PM
A free program that you can use to create your descriptions is available at www.ezadpro.com

I used it until I got my descriptions set up the way I wanted them so I would only have to change a couple of items....now I just use the html saved in a folder as a template.
carly

Laura Tasheiko
02-15-2002, 06:49 PM
What a great site. Thanks, Carly.