PDA

View Full Version : OP Classroom - Glass part 2, blending and yellows

Pat Isaac
02-16-2006, 08:31 AM
This classroom will deal with colored glass with something in it, several ways of blending and working with yellows. This is the set up I will be working from.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-blue_set_up.jpg
First, I have done my drawing on light blue colorfix with a yellow OP pencil approximately 7"x 12".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-Blue_vase_start.jpg
I am using Senneilier and Holbein OPs. I block in the color over the entire piece with the local color so that I can build the piece with all the parts in relation to each other.This is like a quick over all sketch.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-blue_vase_4.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-blue_vase_3.jpg
I continue to add color. For the yellows I used Holbein Hansa yellow hue 2, Chrome yellow hue 2 and Cadmium yellow hue 2. I also started to add a litlle Sennelier yellow ochre. At this point the yellows were not responding any more ( they are a pain because of their transparency) so it was time to let them sit for awhile. I began working on the values of the blue vase and added background color. I also started blending some of the edges with a tortillion.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-Tortillion_blend.jpg I find this to be a very good tool for edges so that one color lays right next to another without any paper showing through. It is important to remember when doing the glass that all reflections follow the shape of the glass and the color of the glass changes with whatever is seen through it. Also the stem and anything in the bottle is distorted as seen through it. Really look at the shapes that are made. I continue to build up the glass bottle adding reflections and reflected color from the surrounding objects. The background will also pick up some reflected color from the bottle.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-add_color.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-hand_blend.jpg
This is another good way to blend in color. I use my fingers a lot to blend colors. The whole piece is now taking shape and has sat for a weekend so now it is time to deal with the yellows.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-Blue_vase_2.jpg
I also notice that the drawing of the bottle needs a little help so I will fix that as I go along. I add Sennelier yellow orange to the daffodil as well as white, a very light yellow green and a light purple for the shadows. The yellows are stubborn and take a lot of pressure and blending. I add more background using the tortillion around the edges. I add the white highlights to the bottle and I think it's done now.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-blue_vase_final.jpg
So get your own glass and yellow object and have fun. Ask as many questions as you like.

The Art Corner
02-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks Pat for showing us all your detailed work. Looking forward to this challenge. Your blue bottle looks awesome.

serenasocean
02-16-2006, 01:21 PM
This has been an inspiration. Pat, if you ever write a book on OPs, I'll be the first in line!

Pat Isaac
02-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Here is a close up of the daffodil.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/35760-close_up_of_daf.jpg
I also used Sennelier #18 jaune brilliant,#208 mars orange and #71 cadmium light.

Pat

mimitabby
02-17-2006, 03:59 PM
thanks for the closeup Pat, i can see some of the strokes.
I have been busy with school; but i hope to do a yellow flower in a colored vase (if I can't find one, i'll just use yours) Our daffodils are just about open.
:)

mimitabby
02-17-2006, 04:00 PM
thanks for the closeup Pat, i can see some of the strokes.
I have been busy with school; but i hope to do a yellow flower in a colored vase (if I can't find one, i'll just use yours) Our daffodils are just about open.

FinkInk
02-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Thank you so much for the colored glass lesson. I have enjoyed 'attempting' it. This was my 4th painting using oil pastels and love the medium. Not sure if it loves me yet, but I am sure I will grow on it. :)

Sorry for the bad pictures, I didn't have very good lighting at the time.

I did experience a problem with the yellows. Seemed like they would not cover as well after the first few strokes. I might wait a few days and attempt to cover some of the darker flower areas that I was not as pleased with.

I didn't spend much time on the background, because I wanted to spend most of my time on the glass and flower.

I may try your glass lesson and see if I can do a little better with how the glass reflects light and reveals the background.

Everyone is welcome to give me some pointers. Goodness knows, I need them.:confused:

Thanks again!!!!

mimitabby
02-18-2006, 10:16 PM
hi Pat
okay, this is what i've done so far. I think the first photo looks more like
my sketch, but the "photo enhancement" of the second actually
shows me what i need to do; because it looks so good.
the background is a uniform dark blue lightly rubbed on the paper.
the paper is french "arches" and i am using mostly caran d;ache neocolor
and a few of those oil pencils.
When i started, a ray of sun illuminated the first daffodil. i tried to draw in the shadows, but the light changed.
yes, the light changed. so EVERYTHING changed!!! how confusing!!
(how do people do this stuff outside?!)

Mimi

Pat Isaac
02-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Cacy Great job with the glass and flower. I really like your handling of the glass with all the reflections and transparency effects. You could work on the ellipses a little. Ellipses always drive me crazy. The yellow flower is coming along nicely and that is the main problem with yellows. Their transparency!! You should be able to work on them again after a few days. Try adding a little orange color to the shadow side of the flower.

Mimi I like both of these, Mimi. and you really are doing great with the glass. A coke bottle...wonderful. That's one of my objections to doing plein air, the light changes. Grr.... I usually set up my still lifes with a spot light on them so I have control of the light. The daffodils are looking good though.

Pat

mimitabby
02-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Pat! you haven't heard the half of it! I went back to work on the daffys after dinner. To my horror, they had changged substantially; now both of them were completely open!
So I "faked" it. meanwhile the bottle reflections had all changed too.
what a riot!
so this is what i ended up with. I'll try a little touch up later, but my model sure changed dramatically.

Pat Isaac
02-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Ah, the joys of growing things....I always try to remember when I put a plant in any of my still lifes that it grooows.... My daffodil was fake so it didn't grow...lol Anyway, your bottle and dafffodil look great, especially the coke bottle.

Pat

mimitabby
02-19-2006, 11:22 AM
YOU USED A FAKE DAFFODIL!!

that is hilarious! I never even thought of that!
my, you have a lot to teach me :)
Last night while I was struggling with my developing flowers my son said "Now I know why there are so many pictures of dead flowers in museums"\

Pat Isaac
02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Heehee....that's too funny. You're son is right. AND decaying fruit. I often eat my still life before it is finished. lol

Pat

The Art Corner
02-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Casy Welcome, nice job, love the flower.
Mimi your coke bottles are very cool.

The Art Corner
02-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Here's my attempt. C & C please
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2006/34631-Blue_Vase_with_Rose_OP_WC.jpg

Pat Isaac
02-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Nice setting, Shoshana. spring against a winter background. The vase is really nicely done and I like like your idea of a whole painting set up.Maybe you could get a little more yellow in the flower, maybe a little peach or orangey color. I know the yellow is hard...always drives me crazy, but you did get a yellow rose feeling. Maybe you could subdue the tree a little so it moves outside.

Pat

The Art Corner
02-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks Pat, will do on the rose & the tree, just need to wait a while so I can continue to layer.

Merriel
03-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Pat: After looking at your work I had to jump in on your oil pastel forum.
These are really great. Do you use any medium with them like liquin or
turp? What kind of paper besides Wallis are you using for a beginner?
oil tends to go through drawing paper. Can I use watercolor paper? I'm very interested in trying OPs they are really nice love the colors. I will try
your demo. thanks for sharing...

lierrem

Pat Isaac
03-05-2006, 07:24 PM
lierrem,I do not use any turp or liquin with my OPs. I've tried them and I prefer to use my fingers and blenders. I also use Spectrum colorfix paper and you can use watercolor paper, but I'd put a coat of gesso on it first.
You can also use museium board with a coat of gesso.
I love the vibrant colors of OPs.

Pat

BJW
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site and still a new artist. I have a set of oil pastel sticks that are like crayons, and I don't know how to use them. They came with my paint set that my mom bought me. I also have a set of reg. pastels "hard ones" that I don't know how to use or what to use them on either, really ... I have been painting with oils since November and have painted a couple of times before that, once in water color and again in oil. Which was a long time ago. Can someone tell me how to use these things? Also, does anyone have any expeerience in water color pencils? I know it's a lot. I love art stuff .... LOL I do also have some acrylics, but I don't care to work with them too much because they dry so fast and so, I can't fix my mistakes so easly, but oil can be a pain in the but too .... LOL Also, can someone tell me what plein air is or means?

Thanks, BJW :)

Pat Isaac
03-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Welcome to WC.:wave: Probably the oil pastels that you haave are student grade, but can work for a start. The pastl library has some good information on starting out with oil pastels.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201561 This is the link. You should be able to find lots of information there.
I have not had any experience with watercolor pencils, but you might check out the watercolor forum.
Plein air is painting outside on location.
You could also go to the new users forum and gain info. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=35
Hope this helps, if not, check back.

Pat

BJW
03-07-2006, 05:22 PM
:o Thanks Pat. It should help. I will check out that link now. I do have water color paper and drawing paper, both of wich I bought from Wal-Mart, would either of those work for the oil pastels?

:cat: BJW :cat:

Pat Isaac
03-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Watercolor paper would work. Have fun.

Pat

Orchidacea
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the demo, Pat!

I never would've expected you could get that much blending just by using fingers and tortillons. I'm going to have to get the OPs out and try them again. (There just aren't enough hours in the day.....)

Pat Isaac
03-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Whenever you can, Kim. Your OPs were wonderful.

Pat

scoy
04-13-2006, 12:19 PM
:wave:

I'm totally cheating here...I did this one a few months ago but it fits the bill. I also did the background and sketch-in in oils before switching to OP (out of impatience and lack of good blues in oil paint more than any lofty artistic consideration :lol: ). It was a quick-and-dirty experiment with doing more loose work in between class assignments and I know the drawing is way off on the vase.

Anyway, I'm still in the midst of unpacking from a cross-country move, but once I saw this thread I went and dug up some OP's, paper, and will unpack some of my cobalt collection to do another entry for this classroom. Nice to see you all again!

Pat Isaac
04-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Welcome back, Stefanie.:wave: I really like your piece and the glass is wonderful. I have pieces with oil underneath. Makes a nice underpainting.
Looking forward to seeing more of you here.

Pat

scoy
04-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks Pat. I do like oil paints more and more as I get used to them, but sometimes I just have to get hands-on and bring in the pastels!

DrBrad
04-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Thought I'd tackle this project-- hope it was okay to crib the original image.

The details (the entire mouth of the bottle) are colored pencil-- but the rest is OP with a graphite underdrawing.

I have the entire set of Prismacolor CPs and find they really complement the oil pastels well. I didn't do any blending here with stumps or fingers- just with CPs and OPs. Left it a little rough.

Really love seeing what everyone else did.

Lots of fun!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2006/70684-BotFlowOPWeb.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Very nice, Brad. Your background really compliments the daffodil and the vase. Great job.:clap:
Did you have trouble with the graphite drawing or did you spray it?
Colored pencil works very well with OPs as do the oil pencils.

Pat

DrBrad
04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks Pat, I didn't spray the graphite (I hate using fixative-- I have so many sensitive critters around). I've had trouble using CPs over pencil before- but the areas were so tiny here it didn't seem to matter. The OPs didn't give me any problem on top.

I know this info is elsewhere, but who makes the oil pencils? (Walnut seems to ring a bell?)

Pat Isaac
04-14-2006, 11:18 AM
The ringing bell is right. They are made by Walnut Hollow.
The fix works, otherwise I find that the pencil mixes with the OPs or CPs. I usually put my drawing on the paper now with the OP pencils and then I don't have to worry.

Pat

sundiver
04-19-2006, 08:03 PM
I've been following this thread and think the results are pretty awesome! I really wanted to participate but life's been getting in the way, and, ok, I want to participate in everything else too; got too many projects on the go and not enough time.
I still hope to get to it, but meanwhile here's a similar o.p. work I did from a previous WC classroom or challenge or something.It's not from life, but from a photo of my kitchen windowsill.5x7

Pat Isaac
04-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Great piece, Wendy. It fits the bill, and I really like the diffused background. I know what you mean about wanting to do everything and time runs out. AND I'm retired!!!

Pat

DrBrad
04-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh, I love that all around.

The Art Corner
04-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Stefanie & Brad Thanks for sharing. Good jobs.

scoy
05-04-2006, 12:22 PM
That's so pretty, Wendy!

Ok, here's one I did last week. I had the kids pick some dandelions for me; I didn't have any other yellow flowers in bloom yet! :lol: I kind of gave up on the view out of the window. The glass in our windows is old and wavy, and outside the window is the wall of the neighbors house covered in ivy. I was getting dizzy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2006/41014-dandelions.jpg

scoy
05-04-2006, 12:28 PM
And a closeup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2006/41014-cu_dandelions.jpg

Orchidacea
05-04-2006, 12:52 PM
That is a sweet springtime scene! The glass is wonderful. I can't wuite imagine doing glass in OP; guess I'll have to get in gear and give it a shot!

Pat Isaac
05-04-2006, 02:41 PM
That is wonderful, Stefanie. The blue glass is perfect and I like the dandelion touch. The reflected light on the windowsill is very nice.

Pat

The Art Corner
05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Great glass Stephanie, love the bottem of the window too!

scoy
05-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks! Heh, I had the most fun with the peely paint on these old windows...have a feeling they will be showing up again soon!

hopalong
05-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Scoy, lovely work. I love how you used the paper to suggest distance in the window and nearness with the window frame. Lovely flowers. Mostly I just pull mine out! Never thought to draw them!!

hopalong
05-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Scoy, lovely work. I love how you used the paper to suggest distance in the window and nearness with the window frame. Lovely flowers. Mostly I just pull mine out! Never thought to draw them!!

Flycatcher10
07-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Pat:

I took the plunge and tried this classroom exercise - I had a vase of a silk floral arrangement that I did (just happened to be a short blue vase w/roses and such).

Once done I felt my vase was hanging in mid-air so I added a tabletop and doilie - my first attempts w/both?

Thanks for doing the glass, was looking for an exercise just like this one.

Maryhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2011/974094-still_life_blue_vase_003.jpg

Pat Isaac
07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
This is great, Mary. You did a wonderful job with the vase and cloth. I like the reflected color that you addes to the cloth. You might want to lighten the top of the front leaf a little so it doesn't blend in iwth the vase so much.
You are doing great with the OPs.

Pat

Flycatcher10
07-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Pat: Thanks so much for your feedback - when I receive my clay shapers I'll also work with the front leaf. I appreciate that you took a look at my latest.

Thank you for the encouragement - Mary