PDA

View Full Version : online shopping carts ...looks good!

dk_art
02-13-2002, 07:38 PM
For the last while , I've been looking for info on shopping cart creation for sites ... for my own site but also for other people. I've been using paypal for a while now but only a few times and so I discovered tonight at their site that they offer a shopping cart system. It sounds so far that it would be easily set up (relative to learnign how to program myself which aint gonna happen!). Anyway, maybe this is old news but I thought I'd post it here

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/xcl/rec/sc-outside

CarlyHardy
02-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Just for info sake, you can also set up a PayPal payment for any one item on your site. I had one painting on my site that I wanted to sell and all the others were exhibition only....so the one item option was great for me.

A Tip, get all the info that you need to input about the item handy before you begin setting up the checkout. Like size, medium, comments, title, price, etc.

carly

hairballsdotcom
02-14-2002, 12:46 AM
Feel free to try out my PayPal cart on my site -- if I get an order for $10,000, I'll know to ignore it :D

I have everything with an 'add to cart' button, but like Carly says -- you can put it on one item or many, totally up to you. I found it easy to install, but I do know html. Still, its really just a matter of picking up a chunk of code and pasting in the right place.

Good luck.

http://hairballs.com/art/pages/signedprints/SP12.htm

Epicurea
02-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Funny that I should find this topic here, because I just started on a shopping cart system last night and came here to start a thread on this very same topic.

With the Paypal cart system you can also substitute your own images for the 'add to cart' and 'view cart' buttons. I wanted to draw my own buttons because I thought the paypal buttons didn't match my site very well. So I played around in Illustrator and sketched a little cart. It has a sketchy crayon look, cute & fun, and matches the style of my site fairly well, but I'm undecided on the size...maybe a little big, but I don't want to lose detail. Hubby likes it as is. (For the view cart button I just picked a font that matched the drawing style of the cart and put it in matching colors, a lot simpler.) Here's an example so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://clm.artistnation.com/Digital/clouds.html

I've only done a few pages so far. What do you think? Leave it as is, size it down, or can it completely and go with something more traditional?

C

(Edited to fix link...twice! Shouldn't have skipped the coffee this morning.)

hairballsdotcom
02-14-2002, 04:31 PM
C --
I really like your cart you made -- maybe make it a little smaller? really helps to set it apart from other sites. I had planned to do that on my site too and make it something cat related (paw print, cat in a basket, cat in bag or something) but it was just easier to use the paypal version at the time. Sooner or later I WILL modify them all, but now that I have so many it will be quite a chore (I think -- then again I may be able to do a global change all at one time). Doing the custom icon NOW before you get it all set up is a smart move.

dk_art
02-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Well I'm totally revamping my site (actually a totally new site with all the things I do under different tabs instead of sifferent sites linked to from my main page like now) so it will be a while before I get to the point of the shopping cart but I think I'll deal with the paypal one for my prints or whatever else I sell.

Epicurea, I like Facade ...thats a neat one

Epicurea
02-14-2002, 09:18 PM
Lori - Thanks, & I like the cat in the bag idea! That would make a great photo and a cute cart button...a cat peeking out of an overturned shopping or gift bag, the kind with handles. I'm sure you know how much they love to play with shopping bags.

Dk - thanks, Facade was fun to do. I was trying to make it look as though the mask was part smoke and part solid, like smoke turning solid...part of the smoke & mirrors facade theme and it almost worked but I couldn't figure out how to make the solid part look more solid. But the whole thing just got comments like "hmm, interesting" and "fun" over in critiques. ;)

C

Sumafra
02-14-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Epicurea
With the Paypal cart system you can also substitute your own images for the 'add to cart' and 'view cart' buttons. I wanted to draw my own buttons because I thought the paypal buttons didn't match my site very well. So I played around in Illustrator and sketched a little cart. It has a sketchy crayon look, cute & fun, and matches the style of my site fairly well, but I'm undecided on the size...maybe a little big, but I don't want to lose detail.

I love your shopping cart and I don't think it's too big. It's really cute.