PDA

View Full Version : Hibiscus flower up close and personal

Shari
02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
I found this pic in the RIL, thanks to al22! This is the largest painting I have done yet, 18 x 24" on Wallis belgian mist. I used about 90% MV's and some GA's and polychromos. Does it need anything else? I had trouble with the petal veins. I have never tried anything like this before. I love trying new subject matter!! Please let me know how I can improve this.

Tatijana
02-15-2006, 02:35 PM
shari - it's lovely. the colors are wonderful. i could go on....and on....

*Marina*
02-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Beautiful work. I love the colours.

Tom Behnke
02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
What is there to improve? It's gorgeous. I love detail shots like this. At first glance, it is almost abstract, then your mind catches up to your eye and you go "wow".

Beautiful.

Shane Keene
02-15-2006, 04:07 PM
WOW. This is gorgeous! How could you improve it? Hmmm... You could send it to me! I think it would look much better on my wall than it does here :D

Fozbot
02-15-2006, 04:32 PM
omg...i thought this was a watercolor at first! beautiful!

Algarbi
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Wow! this looks fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap:
Congrats!

CindyW
02-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Shari, it's just beautiful!!
Love it lots!
Cindy

dlake
02-15-2006, 05:30 PM
It's so beautiful and magical. I love it!!!!
diane

Mike_Beeman
02-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Beautiful..love the design!!

Shari
02-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Thank you everyone for looking and for your nice comments. I really feel good about this one and I was scared to try something this large, but it worked out. Wicked, you can buy a giclee print any time!!! Hey, I will personally deliver it since you are in Oregon! I sure appreciate the support of everyone here at wetcanvas!

eyeinthesky
02-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Wow!

Dave

Susan Borgas
02-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Shari it is beautiful. I can't see one thing that I don't like.

KJSCL
02-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Shari, this is gorgeous!! The colors are beautiful. You've done a great job on this.

Karen Margulis
02-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Wonderful!!!! I love the colors. It must be very striking being so big! I love it!
Karen

binkie
02-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Shari, this is gorgeous! It will look fabulous framed and hanging on the wall.

binkie

Shari
02-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Yes Binkie, I can't wait to get it scanned and framed! I have never framed anything this big. I am sure it will be at least $200 to frame, OH MY GOD!! I gotta get the framing thing together.

grantkruger
02-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Wow. I love your use of colour. I can't believe I missed your stuff before. Your use of colour is fabulous. I looked back at a bunch of your posts and saw you mention videos and the like (while enjoying the pics). I'm never sure which ones are worth the moolah. But your colour sense and the cool stuff you create makes me think your videos might suit me too. You've seen my stuff and know I need technical improvement, but I love abstracts and colours. Any video suggestions? Oh and anyone else could chip in too of course. Oh, and I plan to move to your state soon (there is a girl there ;) ) to Portland, and I'm looking forward to joining the great artistic community up there.

Shari
02-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Grant,

Welcome to Oregon, you will love Portland, but be forewarned, it rains a lot!!! My youngest daughter lives in Portland and is going to school there. Anyway, I really love Bob Rohm's video called Autumn Flow, The Pastel Landscape. I like his technique of underpainting.

David Patterson
02-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Beautiful! And I thought my small rose was tough!!

Khadres
02-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Lovely work! I love this flower...you captured the rich, vibrant colors beautifully!

grantkruger
02-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Shari,

Yes, I've been warned about the rain, and it so happens that I hate cold and wet... but the girl is worth it and the city seems very nice. Thanks for the tip. I'll look to buy Bob Rohm's video. I also look forward to seeing more of your art.

al22
02-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Beautiful job, Shari........so glad you enjoyed the foto
...........al

Shari
02-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Grant - thank you for the nice comments. You will like Portland, especially the Pearl District. There are great restaurants and entertainment too.

Al - If you have any other wonderful macro photos like this one, please let me know or if you add any to the RIL. Finding this gem was wonderful.

Artaholic
02-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Wow, Sheri this is breathtaking . :clap: :clap: I forgot to say in my thread that I used wallis for the first time isn't it great to paint on?:clap: :clap:

Shari
02-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow, Sheri this is breathtaking . :clap: :clap: I forgot to say in my thread that I used wallis for the first time isn't it great to paint on?:clap: :clap:

Yes, Wallis is great, it took me a few tries to get used to it but now I love it, though I don't love the price.:crying: I also really love the La Carte paper, have you tried that?

Paula Ford
02-18-2006, 11:41 AM
WOW Shari, this is beautiful!!

Paula

JamieWG
02-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Shari, I did a search to find out what you were up to with the new Mount Visions. I'm so glad I did. This is a stunner! :)

Jamie

ColorOfMagic
04-06-2006, 02:30 PM
I found this pic in the RIL, thanks to al22! I love trying new subject matter!! Please let me know how I can improve this.

Hi Shari:

It is a beautiful abstract...! You've done a great job with your colors.

Painting from other people's photos or even others' paintings is a great way to learn how to use a medium and is the best way to get into another artist's head. After all, copying the old master's is one way artists have learned for hundred+ years. (In the beginning I taught myself to use acrylics by copying other artist's paintings etc). That's what the RIL is for, but why not make your paintings truly your own and generate your subject/compositions either from life or photos you take yourself? If you want to ever enter a competition, then copying other's stuff is not permitted.

Jim

judwal
04-06-2006, 02:59 PM
This has real "WOW" power! Well done.

Shari
04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi Shari:

It is a beautiful abstract...! You've done a great job with your colors.

Painting from other people's photos or even others' paintings is a great way to learn how to use a medium and is the best way to get into another artist's head. After all, copying the old master's is one way artists have learned for hundred+ years. (In the beginning I taught myself to use acrylics by copying other artist's paintings etc). That's what the RIL is for, but why not make your paintings truly your own and generate your subject/compositions either from life or photos you take yourself? If you want to ever enter a competition, then copying other's stuff is not permitted.

Jim

Jim,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have done many paintings from my own photos. I am starting a photography class next week to get better at that aspect because I am not a great photographer. When I saw this photo, however, I knew I just had to paint it. I doubt that I will ever enter a competition, I am doing this for love and the pure joy of it. I would never want to try to make my living at art, then it would be a "job" and I love my day job!!! I just go where the joy takes me and if I see something that inspires me, I try to paint it! I do want to become a better photographer though, and learn how to use all the functions on my camera. I also want to learn how to take a photo and know what to paint and what to leave out, and how to compose better. Any tips are appreciated!!!

terence p
04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Like everyone else said "wow". It is very beautiful and is both realisitic and abstract at the same time.