PDA

View Full Version : Happy Medium in Paper?

DrBrad
02-14-2006, 08:56 PM
After the truly wonderful Wallis paper ate a ton of my pencils last time, I decided to try this week's portrait on Canson (smooth side) just to be a little neater. Can't say I'm loving it though. Can anyone suggest a paper sorta in between? More forgiving than MT but less abrasive than Wallis. I'm sure I will enjoy the Wallis more when I'm using actual soft pastels rather than pencils, but for now it's just a bit rough...

Thanks!

Bringer
02-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I've never tried Wallis.
I like Colourfix and now I'm enjoying velour alot. The last one for animals, altough I'm painting other stuff in the painting.
Carefull with the velour brand that you buy.

Regards,

Josť

dlake
02-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Like Jose, I like the colorfix. It's rough but, not so abrasive that it eats your pencils and pastels up.

johndill01
02-14-2006, 10:31 PM
I also like the colorfix for colored pencil or pastel pencil. It will allow many light layers, without eating up the pencil, at least not nearly as much as wallis. I still like the wallis, just not for pencils.

John

Deborah Secor
02-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Or try Sennelier La Carte Pastel Card (http://www.dickblick.com/zz107/08/), which is a softer surface, slighty sandy feeling. It comes in 14 different colors. The surface is actually a vegetable fiber, and at first it feels as if the fibers are rubbing off, but they're deep enough not to be a problem. I really like La Carte for some subjects. It has enough tooth without being aggressive. (But don't get it wet--don't even blow on it or a teensy drop of spit can take away the surface!)

Deborah

DrBrad
02-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Oh, good. I have a bunch of Colorfix- but all very dark colors for some reason. I have seen ads for La Carte but ever tried. Thanks!

Khadres
02-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Dark colors make great pastel/pastel pencil starting points...you can get some really dramatic results with them. Colourfix is good, yes, and some folks really like Somerset Black Velvet or even their white...it's a soft finish fairly thick paper. There's also Stonehenge which takes a surprising amount of pigment tho it is smoother finished. A good thing to do is to buy a couple of sheets of several types and try them out or buy a "sampler" pack from Dakota. Everyone likes different papers for different things and only trial and error at the beginning will tell you what's best for you.

KJSCL
02-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Brad

I agree with Deborah - LaCarte paper is great for portraits and for use with pastel pencils. I really like velour for animals, Wallis for most subjects but if I'm doing a portrait it is on LaCarte.

Try the Dakota paper sampler though - they come in 8 x 10 sheets which is a good size for portraits. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve on the different paper textures plus it's the best way to learn what paper is best for you.

DrBrad
02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Definitely giving LaCarte a try! Velour I liked for animals but haven't tried a human on it.
Thanks

bluefish
02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
DrBrad

If you like to work with pastel pencils, you will love Industrial Wallcovering! Go to a good wallcovering supply house and get a sample of "Vescom" textile wallcovering - try 'Favone C45210 code 0199 #205.27 - it has a suede like front covering and holds pastel wonderfully - I use it for soft pastel also - comes in 51/52" width! You can get it in over a dozen different colors - something 'new' for everyone to try! Good luck and happy chalking!
P.S. - it doesn't eat pastels!

Bluefish

PeggyB
02-15-2006, 10:15 PM
DrBrad

If you like to work with pastel pencils, you will love Industrial Wallcovering! Go to a good wallcovering supply house and get a sample of "Vescom" textile wallcovering - try 'Favone C45210 code 0199 #205.27 - it has a suede like front covering and holds pastel wonderfully - I use it for soft pastel also - comes in 51/52" width! You can get it in over a dozen different colors - something 'new' for everyone to try! Good luck and happy chalking!
P.S. - it doesn't eat pastels!

Bluefish

Bluefish you've gotta be kidding - wall paper?! Who'da thunk it. I don't generally work on velour of sueded surfaces, but the width looks really appealing if I needed or wanted a really big painting surface. Might be interesting to try some of my abstracts on that as I've been thinking they should be bigger. How ever to you come up with some of your sources? Just one question. Are the colors of the paper going to fade with time? Oh - two questions. How acid free is this paper?

Peggy

bluefish
02-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Peggy:

I absolutely love your abstracts and this would be a 'blast' for you - imagine an abstract 52" wide x 100" or more long! It's not wallpaper, it's wall covering, a fabric material on a woven base - very strong - used in expensive office decorating! The colors are subjected to sunlight, industrial pollution, harsh cleaning solutions,etc.,but again it's not 100 year life rated! I'll see what I have in my files on the 'chem' makeup, acid content, etc. tomorrow and let you know -

Bluefish

HarvestMoon
02-16-2006, 07:47 PM
art spectrum colorfix.... if you have a hobby lobby near you, they frequently have internet coupons for 1/2 off all art paper....