PDA

View Full Version : Where would you want your art to take you

dlake
02-14-2006, 08:40 PM
What do you want from your art??? do you want to develop it to where you are a famous artist in Pastel Journal??
do you want to be able to sell a couple peices locally to feel you could?
Do you want it to be a good hobby?
Where do you see yourself being taken by your art?

khourianya
02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
All of the above :D

Nah - I have a great career as a graphic designer so I don't expect my painting to become my full time job just yet (maybe after I retire, I can throw myself into something like that, but I am still 35 years off retirement)

It is my hobby and if I sell a few pieces here and there to people who will love them, then I am satisfied.

DrBrad
02-14-2006, 08:46 PM
My goal is to become a good enough portrait artist to gain regular commissions. It doesn't have to be my full time job, but I'd like it to be an actual career. (If it turned into my full time profession I wouldn't object- but that's not the primary goal!) Now if only my portraits would cooperate with my goals!

HarvestMoon
02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
I want it to be a hobby- but would like to be decent enough at it to sell at least a few things.... know I will never make a 'living' at it- would be nice if it could take me to France- to a workshop- LOL...

Paula Ford
02-14-2006, 10:57 PM
P S A ! ! !

Featured artist in the Pastel Journal (and on the Mount Vision Website :p )

I want to be another Elizabeth Mowry.

Do you think that is asking too much ? :D

Paula

dlake
02-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Paula, you are good enough to your dream not being out of reach. Same with you Brad.
Linda, like you, I just want to be good enough, at least for now, to be proud enough of something to hang it in my house. Though, I have sold some of my illustrations.....weird. Some people have no taste!!
Actually, at this point I want to be good and consistent.

Deborah Secor
02-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Could I just have one or two more good galleries not too far away to represent me? Reliable, steady sellers who don't demand things, who've been in business long enough to know how to do it, pay promptly, and don't ask for commissions. The kind of people who know theirs isn't the only gallery on the planet, yet still encourage you to supply them with good work to sell.... That's all I want. Oh--and I want them to come ask me. Is that too much to ask? :D

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
02-14-2006, 11:42 PM
I just want to make a living doing what I love. Wouldn't mind a write up in the PJ though.

Trilby
02-15-2006, 01:18 AM
I want to make at least half my living with my art, The whole of it if I can. That's a ways in the future, I think. But when that future comes I want owning an original of mine to be significant. For now I want it to reimburse my supplies, framing and prints cost. The 8 sales and 4 recent commissions, (got another tonight) in the last 10 weeks have certainly encouraged me to think it's possible ( first reimbursement, then a living). I want a wall of meaningful ribbons, wouldn't object to at least an article in the Pastel Journal. But mostly I just want to keep painting and keep improving. Sales are nice but secondary and I never want marketing to kill the fun, the joy. I want never again to be separated from my art. God and I are having chats right now that since he returned the ability to me, what does He want me to do with my art? So far the answer seems to be Keep on painting and He'll show the way.
TJ

scall0way
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I'd love to feel I could sell my work, but I was the original kid who could not even sell Girl Scout Cookies. I would rather have been tortured on the rack. That's sort of how I feel about marketing artwork. I would rather have someone drill a hole in my head than approach a gallery, or something like that. So I guess it's a good thing I don't have to earn my living from art. :D

But I would love to gain some recognition locally as an artist at least, so I could feel I could tell people I was an artist and not a dabbler. And it would be fun to think I could supplement my eventual retirement income with some sales - at least enough to pay for my supplies at any rate!

Pat Isaac
02-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm quite happy with where my art is now. I taught for 30 years, so it is nice now to have the time to pursue my own art. I keep learning more and improving daily, you're bound to if you do it all the time. I do some demos and workshops here and there and enter shows. A gallery representation would be nice. I get some portrait commissions several times a year, so all in all I'm happy with where it is going.

Pat

Bill Foehringer
02-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Number One: I want to become a very good painter.
Number Two: I need to make more money.
Hopefully one will lead to the other if I combine painting well with selling myself to galleries and to the public directly.
I am with Deborah on this one. I need gallery representation to sell consistently.
So my immediate goal is to paint well enough to be taken on by a gallery.
My immediate self-marketing goal is to seek out more venues aside from galleries in order to build up a reputation.
I need to prepare a portfolio at the proper time, when I feel that I will be able to offer a consistent output.
BillF

chewie
02-15-2006, 03:55 PM
i want it all!!! :) i would love to someday be good enough that pj would do a nice spread. i would love to someday make enough that it would be my main income. i would love to get paid for my efforts, on top of being reimbursed for the supplies!! i would love to make enough to set up a really great studio, and have things in galleries other than the piddly stuff i wind up in now. i would mostly love to make enough to afford to stop doing all else and paint more!!

jmp
02-15-2006, 04:02 PM
I'd like to be able to comfortably support myself without a man, to make money doing something I love on my own terms, to have recognition from my peers and also to give back - to teach children whose parents otherwise could not afford art lessons, work with seniors in nursing homes to help make their lives more full- things like that.

Being in the Pastel Journal I suppose is recognition from my peers, that would be nice too but the most important thing is to sell, sell, sell- got to pay those bills, to not have to worry about where my next set of pastels is going to come from.....

Deborah Secor
02-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Okay, gotta add a couple of little things here. I don't want to be a bucket of cold water...but...I've been a pro for over 25 years now, part of it in partnership with my husband as the breadwinner, and part of the time earning most of our income on my own. It ain't easy, gang. :p

1) I hope all of you will keep in mind that whatever you work at to make your living becomes WORK. It's very nice to enjoy what you do for a living, I highly recommend that, but don't get some starry-eyed idea that artists spend time painting. I do four times as much on promotion, marketing, framing, selling, etc, than I have ever been able to do painting. So remember that when you make it as an artist it will be constant work, not some sweet time of painting while other people sell it for you. (I suspect one or two artists with prices in the stratosphere are able to do this--but trust me, I've never, ever met one. The best set-up I've seen is someone who has a spouse taking care of all the garbage, while s/he paints.)

2) As a professional artist who makes a living for your family keep in mind that you will NOT have a regular, predictable paycheck. You may make enough to live, but it will come as a result of constant work. If you are blessed enough to have a spouse who is making a living, even just a part of a living, it makes your life so much easier. That car payment can get scary otherwise, not to mention the mortgage, and sending kids to college is a real challenge. Try buying a house without any predictable income. Talk about creative!

Don't get me wrong, I hope all of you make your hopes and goals real! I love painting but in order to make a living I do three jobs in reality: artist, art instructor, writer for an art magazine.

Anyway, we now return to our regularly scheduled thread... :wave:

Deborah

Becky Foster
02-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I'd like to make a living with my wildlife art.

-Becky

Karen Margulis
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Interesting topic! Now that I have discovered pastels, I can't imagine not painting! However as we all know, it can be an expensive hobby! So I am happy to be able to sell enough to make some mad money..to buy supplies, take classes and workshops. It's the process that makes me happy. Someday I would like to be good enough to enter shows and acheive some recognition...but that would just be icing on the cake!
Karen

bluefish
02-15-2006, 05:33 PM
To a seven figure income!

jmp
02-15-2006, 06:58 PM
what dee-artist says is true- I have a friend who has reached a good level of success and she is jealous of ME because all she ever does is cut mats and frame and she's sick of it. I don't plan to get so heavy into the print market, not unless I absolutely have to, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue. I only had one print made ever and it was a pain in the a**!! I sold more than I expected, but I still have enough of the things left to wallpaper a 50 room house. I've been using them to line the bottom of my bird's cage.

Financial unpredictability seems to be part of the life to but then I'm used to being a slightly unstable - and I'm not a materialistic person anymore. I said I'd like to be able to support myself WITHOUT a man, but I have the intention of always keeping one around- for many reasons besides money! I suppose if I found myself single, I'd bartend part time and that would help. But I'm not going back to the 40 hr a week rat race of sales and all the misery that went along with that. I HAVE to work as an artist, I'll make whatever sacrifices it takes. Thats what it really is all about when you are just starting out and its true for anyone starting their own business- You have to be willing to give some things up. My son is done with school, the only real worry I have right now is my lack of health insurance....but I don't have any illusions about the artist's life. I've been around the block too many times to have ANY illusions about anything! It isn't my goal to be rich- I just want to be comfortable and happy.

bacchusny
02-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Art will always remain just one of my hobbies (Computer Programming is another of my hobbies and I get paid to do).
When I was a teenager I has lofty ambitions (delusions ?) of becoming a great artist. Not anymore. All I want from art is the warm glow of satisfaction I feel when I step back from the easel and look at my work, or when my wife comes into the room and says 'THAT IS GOOD' with her usual enthusiasm, or my son look at something I'm working on and say 'Dad, you're a BEAST' (somehow, the kids translate that as being a positive statement.).

That said, I do want to continue learning and be as good as my talent and aptitude will allow - my ego tells me that I can be as good as anyone and someday I will be. But there is only one goal to all of this....my self-satisfaction. I only want to look at my art creations and say 'That is a really nice painting'. That is all I really want. (This does not mean that I am averse to selling my work, just that financial reward is not my primary or current motivation). I know these statements may sound corny and clichéd but they are my true feelings at this particular moment.

Khadres
02-15-2006, 07:50 PM
I'd like to get back into the art groove and begin making up some of the ground I lost when I left my "career" in oil painting behind back in the mid 80s. Granted, I was just beginning to earn a useful amount back then but I'm hoping to do that again someday. I'd like to make enough to support the habit of course plus maybe some extra for workshops, a few trips here and there, etc. I'm not marketeer either...hence, I don't believe I would have ever been an artist who lived on what she made from her art. Right now, at last, I'm doing what I do because I love it so much. Hopefully, I'll gradually work back up to the point of shows and occassional sales, etc. That stage can be great fun too.

CindyW
02-15-2006, 08:12 PM
....I want it to take me to that place of deep satisfaction inside a passion that an allowance of preciously allotted time lets me throw my inner and outer self wholly and completely into, to flow right into the roiling mix of pure joy. The place where I tune out everything but my instinctual and just-about- indescribable creative decision making process.
I intend to visit that place fairly often in the coming years with a crystal clear understanding of how rare it is to have such chunks of scheduled time and with my current knowledge of how ignorantly I wasted many jewels of days doing stuff the likes of which can only be described as sweeping dirt under the rug.
Total bliss. The place of me. I will welcome the day when I have nothing left to do in my art and creativity with a huge grin and great surprise because I know it will never arrive.
How's that? :)
BacchusNY, true feelings are never corny. You'll find lots of people who are right alongside you.

Cindy

jmp
02-15-2006, 08:30 PM
spoken like a true artist, cindy- now what the heck are you talking about?? :)

CindyW
02-15-2006, 08:42 PM
spoken like a true artist, cindy- now what the heck are you talking about?? :)
hee hee hee!
ah, just some mumbling from somewhere inside my head. :rolleyes:

KJSCL
02-15-2006, 09:20 PM
He!!, I'm just along for the ride. :evil: Where ever it takes me is just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be successful enough to make a living off it but the realistic side of me know that that is highly unlikely. No, I'm not setting myself up for failure with that kind of attitude, just been around long enough to recognize and accept reality. Most of that is because the marketing side of art is just too time consuming, and horrid, as Deborah has already mentioned. Add to the fact that I don't like that part of "the business" (as the "and horrid" implies :D ) plus have never made a real effort to become better at it. Will I someday - maybe!

When I'm painting, I get to that place that Cindy so eloquently described. Time passes by without notice, my predominate left brain takes a break and at the end of the session I'm better for it - emotionally and physically. So I guess in the long run, I like the place where my art has already taken me. Anywhere else is just a bonus. :)

Khadres
02-15-2006, 09:43 PM
I agree with Cindy...I would truly love to "follow my bliss" as Joseph Campbell said we should. Of course, Joseph Campbell inherited a fortune and could live independently and quite well, whatever his bliss happened to be. Not having quite that much liberty, I still intend to use was time I do have to wander inside my own right brain and see where it leads on paper/canvas.

dlake
02-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, for a so so beginner in pastels I'm going to show at least 3 paintings in May for my class. She asked me to contribute to the student show and sale today. I have till may to get alot better.....oh no!!
And figure out what my strongest subjects are and forte.....help...please

Shari
02-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Right now I am just experimenting and finding my "art voice". I don't know exactly what that is yet. I do know that I want my art to be integrally connected to my deepest, most passionate feelings. Art is my therapy and my teacher at this point in life. I cannot ever foresee a day without some art/creativity in it. I absolutely have to be creative in some way every day or I feel terrible. I have a lot of outlets though, music and dancing as well as painting so I am always doing one of those things and frequently all three. I often sing and dance while I am painting.

I have sold exactly two paintings and many cards of my work and I am just about to join the Pastel Society of Oregon so I am going forward with my dream of being an artist. I hope to at least sell enough to pay for materials as they are so expensive.

My big dream right now is to have a real art studio instead of my little room. I am planting seeds in my husband's mind to add on to the house . . . I really need an art studio, don't you agree?

dlake
02-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Shari, I think you will acheive. Your paintings are really strong
diane

prettytulips
02-16-2006, 01:44 AM
I would love to find my own STYLE and have that give me bliss. Selling something wouldn't hurt, but really I'm in this for the art, not the business.

fortysomething
02-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I'd like to feel confident enough to show it, and have it be good enough that somebody (not related to me) would buy it.

Bill Foehringer
02-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Besides what I mentioned before I'd like my art to continue to be a connection to hope of a better tomorrow. I continue to look forward to the next time I paint. I imagine my self in that better place where the next painting surpasses what went before. This artful hope is something to build on and cling to. Tomorrow is a better place because we make it that way. Art is one way to keep hope alive. Art reminds me that we have a choice and that the only choice that has a future is the choice to be happy. BillF

Bringer
02-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Diane,

well, for now I see myself been taken to the wash basin (?) to wash my hands after painting. That's where my art has taken me so far :-)
But I hope someday - preferably in a near future - to enter an exhibit or to have a work on a publication. Of course that it would be great to sell a few works.
Besides the personnal satistaction of acomplishing a work that I like, I want that my art may bring joy to the people who look at it.
And maybe I'll be one of the first to have a painting in a gallery on another planet or orbital station :-) - no, I'm not drunk.....
-
Best regards,

José

HarvestMoon
02-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey- I sold a painting today- my fourth 'sold one' in my life.... you don't want to know what that averages out to be LOL.... the bad news is she does not need any more as everyone else has decided to put theirs in the same place, since the only gallery in my town closed.....

Punky2
02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
I would like to become technically good enough to be able to execute what I'd like to express. Everything I've created so far in either colored pencil or pastel has been an effort to learn "how to". I'd like to able to get to "why" without the struggle.

My impossible, never to happen in a million years dream, is to make enough money to live on - not rich, but not always worried or stressed over money, doing creative work. I think it would be too fun to have a shop in some lovely place where local artists painted in the "back room" and showed their own works in the store front. Kind of like a shared studio/gallery.

Terri

dlake
02-16-2006, 08:56 PM
linda, so cool. congrats. I am so happy for you!!!! way to go
diane

Tom Behnke
02-19-2006, 03:06 AM
Well, I tried to make it as a musician for ten years, and that didn't work, so I switched creative channels to writing, and that worked out better. Published essays, short stories, and lots of poems. Have a novel done and shopping for an agent, and am collaborating with someone on a screenplay.

But somewhere down the line the art bug hit, and now I actually SOLD something, so I am definitely splitting my time between writing and painting, and would love painting to be a supplement to my income. I am a writer, really, and THAT is what I would like to do as a sole profession, if I had to pick just one. But I will always play guitar, and I will always paint, and will always strive to do better in all creative things, and I can spare some energy into marketing my art, so what the heck? If I can sell some, wonderful. And if the universe and my muse decides that my art brings me more abundance than my writing, I won't cry, or ever stop writing anyway.

What is most important to me with anything creative I do, is that I touch someone, release an emotion in them that needed to get out. Money is secondary to that, spiritually for me.

Of course the cable company doesn't take people's joy or tears as legal tender though, so I will continue to put price tags on my creations. :>

K Taylor-Green
02-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Ok, Tom. You are going to have to post in the Scumble, and tell us a bit more about you, in depth. Novels? Screenplays? I, for one, am dying of couriosity!

Khadres
02-19-2006, 08:22 AM
I'd like to feel confident enough to show it, and have it be good enough that somebody (not related to me) would buy it.

Had to laugh after reading this one! All MY relatives figure they should get my art for FREE! And FRAMED, too! :eek:

Piper Ballou
02-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Not sure how I missed this thread...here is my two cents.
I agree with Cindy. I have been painting for almost a year and a half and sometimes I feel as if as if I have so much inside me that wants to come out, so, I want my art to flow- I want to enjoy this journey, that means not being in such a hurry and enjoying myself.
And, I agree with fortysomething and sooz- I would like to sell a few along the way to non relatives..
And I agree with Bill- "Tomorrow is a better place because we make it that way. Art is one way to keep hope alive. Art reminds me that we have a choice and that the only choice that has a future is the choice to be happy" very well said Bill, thank you
And I agree with Deborah- be realistic, but I would like to add....hopeful and it is always fun to dream along the way
piper

dlake
02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Piper, You have such a nice way of putting things. It's always fun to dream and I know what you mean about having stuff wanting to come out. Twenty years of repressing my creative side to a degree by not doing any art, there is art inside needing to be expressed. And judging by the stories of others I suspect many people here feel the same way
diane