PDA

View Full Version : Rehashed Book

Wayne Gaudon
02-13-2006, 08:40 PM
10 x 12 acrylic on board .. removed the flashlight and stuck a candle on the book
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2006/5946-book.jpg

brianc
02-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Turned out really well Wayne. Does the book have a gold finish on the edge of the pages, if it does, you've done an excellent job of capturing it. Candle and especially the flame are excellent.

One small nit, I'm thinking the shadow on the closest corner of the book should touch the point of the corner. It will help anchor the book. :)

Julieanne
02-13-2006, 11:09 PM
This is really good Wayne I really like the pages and the binding of the book. The reflection of the candle in the book is great.

Katherine T
02-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Interesting subject. I like the way you got the gleam of the candle in the leather binding and the edges of the paper are certainly very persuasive of some sort of 'shiny stuff'.

Couple of small points:

check the ellipses at the top and bottom of the candle - they should be very similar from your perspective and I think they're not quite in sync.
strictly a personal choice - but I was taught to try and avoid having something "almost but not quite" touching an edge. Do you try thumbnail sketches at all to get placement sorted before you start to paint? I never used to when I started out but then when I did start doing them I found them absolutely invaluable in relation to sorting out placement and the relative size of shapes within the picture plane.

Wayne Gaudon
02-14-2006, 09:30 AM
thanks Brian, Julie, Katherine

Brian, I will fix the shadow

Katherine .. it's the image .. it is very close but not kissing the edge. When I take photos it's hard to get them perfectly aligned so I just crop it to remove the warp (so to speak). I'll have a look at the ellipses this evening.

Wayne Gaudon
02-14-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2006/5946-book.jpg
Did not worry about the ellipse as it's melted and different all over the place.

brianc
02-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Really nice Wayne! I like the corrections. :clap:

P.S. Did you see my new Sig? :D You're immortal. At least this week. :D

LarrySeiler
02-15-2006, 01:43 AM
really nice Wayne...love it!!!!! :clap:

great lookin' book...

Wayne Gaudon
02-15-2006, 07:14 AM
thank you Brian and Larry

Brian .. it's only something I read once and saw the truth in.

PS .. for any purist .. there is no black in this painting of a black book :D There are a few more soft shades in the cover that the digital clumps togeather.

JamieWG
02-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Very nice, Wayne! I'd love to see some of the effects of the flickering candlelight on the surface of the book, but maybe they weren't there??? Great color along the sides of the pages, and the touch of the binding showing came out very well. Agree about the shadow in the front.

Jamie

Wayne Gaudon
02-16-2006, 10:33 AM
thanks Jamie .. they were not there as I didn't pay attention when I placed the candle on the book. Just a touch further back and I would have had them. I didn't light the candle till I had already painted it in position.