PDA

View Full Version : Website 101

CathyD
02-13-2002, 02:04 AM
I almost have a website! I made it on artistnation, got everything done but getting it up and running on artist nation. It still says I haven't moved in yet. :confused:
This is a very simple website to start with... please take a look and let me know how long it takes to load up etc...

http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/pureart/index/

I don't know it the link will work for sure.
Cathy

CathyD
02-13-2002, 02:18 AM
Oh good it did work.

Now, I have some questions...I think I took a left when I should have turned right, I am having trouble getting my site in the artistnation directory. What I think I did wrong was this: I created a new directory folder named index. Then I opened that and created a new file called index.html..... which is the name of my new website and then went on to create the website. I know there is another file called index.html in the base directory... and that seems to be the one that links everything to the artistnations main directory.

Oh and then there's the updating my account information....
When I went in to update my account information, I tried to type in the website's name "http://pureart.artistnation.com
and then there is a place for website description. What does that mean? Does it mean description of the file, like where it is located or a general description of what the website is about?

I have tried entering different things in to make it work but to no avail. Plus there are red stars by my name and email address... what does that mean?

BTW I used the ezwebsite thingy and it was fun and easy.
Sorry to be a dummy about the rest of this stuff. I would appreciate any help from you experienced artistnation artists!

Ron van den Boogaard
02-13-2002, 07:30 AM
Works fine, a bit slow on older computers, due to the fact that the bytesize of the pictures is rather big.
You might wanna try a different compression for the picture, the big on now sits at 341 Kb and while keeping the quality you could easily bring that down to 15-20% of that.

Ron van den Boogaard

CathyD
02-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks Ron, I tried the website from work where we have slow computers and it is pretty slow loading the pictures. :p
Last night I was just getting familiar with what the program can do and will go and monkey around with it.
I appreciate your comments!
Cathy

Ron van den Boogaard
02-13-2002, 02:40 PM
the best compression I found you can get out of Macromedia's Fireworks. You can download a thirty-day fully functional download from
www.macromedia.com (http://www.macromedia.com)
Load the picture into fireworks, select the option (under file) export and start playing around with various settings. You'll be amazed how much you can squeeze the size.

Ron vdBRon vd B (http://home.wanadoo.nl/brainbox)

sketchdude
02-13-2002, 03:33 PM
Good Job and welcome to the wonderful world of web design. My first page was a click and build page, too.

If you have a headache and have pulled more than one hairs out of your head, you get an "A".

Here's the scoop on the index.html folder: You have to delete it. What you need is a FILE named index.html and not a FOLDER. Every "main directory" on the artist nation server has a default file, which is always named "index.html". This is the same file, or page visitors will first see when they visit your site.

Right now, your index.html file is still the standard page that says "THIS ARTIST NATION MEMBER HAS NOT MOVED IN YET". To replace, or update it with the page you designed, you have to upload your new page again into the main directory. You will get a prompt asking if you want to replace the existing file, and you should click "YES".

Also don't confuse the file name (index.html) with the description, or the page title. The description will tell search engines what kind of web-site you have. The title is where you put " Bills On Line Emporium", or whatever. (It looks like you already figured that out).

But update the index.html file, and then get rid of the folder, and your new page will be up and running.

CathyD
02-13-2002, 07:11 PM
Wow, Thanks Sketch Dude!! I can handle that! Now to decide if I want to paint tonight or work on the website.... I think I will do both.
Thanks Ron, I will check out Fireworks, it sounds like it would be very useful.

Well I better get busy, thank you both!
Cathy

Sumafra
02-14-2002, 10:27 PM
Cathy, your web page looks very nice. I can't help you with your other questions but I like your page. It loaded pretty quickly for me but then I have a high speed connection.

dk_art
02-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Cathy, your images are indeed a bit hefty in filesize.... although I'm sure fireworks does a good job and everyone could suggest their favorite software to check out, I use PhotoImpact ( http://www.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm ) which is $89US instead of the $299US for fireworks ... just a suggestion but it allows fine tuning of file compression with a visual preview of how the image will look at that compression. I find this program handles my needs in this regard and much more. You can also export a visually designed site as html page if you like (although I just generally use it's slicer and export as html then alter in my html program) .

CathyD
02-15-2002, 01:20 AM
Thanks David, I will look at that software site too. I haven't had a chance to go back and work on my website, my auctions were ending and I had to get new ones going and take care of the sales. I appreciate all this help and advice on the website!
Thank you ;)
Cathy

KanuK
02-17-2002, 12:01 AM
I too looked at your website and being on a High-Speed connection, it was painfully slow... that first image of nearly 330kb is way too big. People will hit their back button seconds after it begins to load. The whole page should be a maximum of 100kb. Even better would be less than 60kb. This is how I design my websites... always keep the file size of the whole page below the 100kb or 60kb mark. Yes, this means even more work on your part but in the end if visitors find your site loading nearly instantly and the image quality is still good, they will stay a bit longer. Hopefully that will in turn mean a sale.

Ron van den Boogaard
02-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Cathy

Did email you a compressed version of your picture for the second time. You might have answered. I'm having terrible trouble with my email right now, so if you did answer , pls, resend and cc it to [email protected]
and if not, than there nothing to worry about

best

Ron van den Boogaard

Ron van den Boogaard
02-18-2002, 04:24 AM
Well Cathy

the compressedimage does indeed work well, now just the other one with the flag, that still sits at 155Kb and you're in business.
Noticed btw that on the Technology/Computerforum here are quite a few people that are willing to help out with a lot of website issues (and computers for that matter).

Ron vd B. (http://home.wanadoo.nl/brainbox)

CathyD
02-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Thanks Ron, I am really a newbie to this stuff and I had thought I was making my images small enough... but compressed is a whole new ball game! I will go check out the other discussions and get educated! I really appreciate your help.
Cathy

CathyD
02-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Sumafra, dk, kanuk, thanks for taking a look. Maybe it is fortunate that this website is not really a website yet. I took off half a day from work today, so I am going to work on this.
Thanks to all!
Cathy

KanuK
02-18-2002, 11:32 PM
Cathy, sorry but my one final criticism, if I may is the centered text. It is very difficlut to read and throws many people off. BTW the iamge at the top loaded in less than a second for me so much better!

CathyD
02-19-2002, 03:01 AM
Thanks Kanuk, I worked a lot on it today... it is helpful to know about the centered text. I will go back and work on it again. :D

I am still adjusting image sizes and what not.... I am painfully slow at this. I am learning though!
Thanks,
Cathy