PDA

View Full Version : PMU horses

bayoudragon
02-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

I came across this website today, and I really don't know what to say….

I'm not an animal activist, and I rarely sign online petitions (I have a friend who sends them all the time). But, this is horrible… :crying:

www.hopeforhorses.com (http://www.hopeforhorses.com)

I knew that Premarin was made from mares' urine, but I had no idea that the conditions were that bad at some of the farms. What those poor mares go through... They've suffer so much in the name of medicine… And now that some of the farms are loosing their contracts, it's hard to think these horses will just be sent off to slaughter.

Thought I'd pass this along since there are so many horse lovers on this forum (who may be wanting another horse, or know someone who might). I love drafts and I've always wanted one for riding….

I haven't painted in a while…my first attempt at oils will be a picture of one of our younger horses who passed away a couple of years ago. He belonged to my mother and was born on Mother's Day (in '93), so I planned on giving it to her for Mother's Day this year. If it comes out OK, I'm going to try more horse painting to donate to "Hope for Horses" as fundraisers. Passing this thought along for those that might have "old" painting they need to move out. I don't have anything old, so I'm just going to paint new ones. :)

I hope it was OK to post this. I just felt compelled to do something. To tell other horse lovers who might be interested. Sorry in advance if it's not. I thought it better to post and ask forgiveness than to do nothing at all.

-BD

momof6
02-12-2006, 09:16 PM
I know that some PMU farms are more humane than others. Some also breed the mares to stallions that will produce quality offspring and hopefully attract buyers for the foals.

Hopefully, with all the negatives and side effects of HRT becoming more well known, the demand for mare urine/Premarin will subside, or alternatives from vegetable sources will improve without the side effects of the animal sources.

If I had the land and the money, I'd be happy to rescue them all!

bayoudragon
02-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes, I did see some of the stallions, and almost all are registered (and very nice on the eyes). There's an unadopted buckskin cross I would LOVE to have...but now, condo living makes that a bit difficult...:rolleyes:

The fact that so many farms are closing is a testament to alternatives becoming popular. It just a shame that so many farms are closing in such a small time frame. The organizations just can't get them adopted fast enough...

I will be saying many horsey prayers tonight...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/73972-horse71.gif

cyber_holic
02-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Awww this is sooooo sad! Its a shame I'm in the Uk I wish you all the best of luck with the fund raising, when I do get a horse, it will be a rescue the same with my dog and all the other animals I will have when I have my own house! :D

FaeLynn
02-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Hey BD~
I never even knew about these farms! Boy do I feel uninformed til now.
If you hear of any fund raisers involving horse art here in Louisiana, please pm me. I do have at least one horse pastel I can let go. I'd love to help!
~Fae Lynn

SeldomSassy
02-13-2006, 07:50 AM
There are many PMU Foal, Mare and Stallion rescue organizations who, when farmers need to sell there horses, by them for a certian price and then adopt them out. Some farms are worse than others. Many now do have top quality stallions and mares who are papered, making the foals more adoptable. If I understand right, only urine collected during a certian time during a mares pregnancy is actually used for Premarin. Some farms only keep mares in for three or four months and then they are out for the rest of the year(this time is similar to having a horse on stall rest for an injury. Many people report that the mares cannot lay down at all, at some farms this may be try, but at most they have collecters that move with the mare so they can move around. Also reported is that they dont supply water to the mares, if this were true, they would have nothing to collect. Many people do report aweful conditions for these mares but in alot of places they recieve good care and regular vet checks, this is the farmer business and they cannot afford to have unhealthy horses, if the horses are unhealthy they cannot use the urine.
Sorry if I just rambled on, I have been involved with PMUFoalquest for a while. They are a very good adoption agency if anyone would like to know:) They adopt out foals from about 7 different farms, many colors, types, and breeds to choose from:)

Have a good day:)
Emily

jmp
02-13-2006, 10:25 PM
thanks for the info, i just sent them an email about donating a painting. I don't own a horse but i plan on having the space for one or two someday...
i love your prancing horse- actually he's running- where did u get that??

jennifer