PDA

View Full Version : Week #7 Classical Art Cards

Nickel
02-11-2006, 06:04 PM
After the trip on the flying carpet last week, and since you are now accustom to heights, thought it might be time to stop and take in a landscape view of the Chalk Cliffs located on the German Island of Rügen in the Baltic Sea. This painting is by a German Artist, a Romantic, Caspar David Friedrich. It is an unusual painting for him because most of his landscapes are void of people. This is thought to be a painting of him on his honeymoon. I guess no one ever told him three is a crowd. :D I hope you will enjoy the vista, but don’t get to close to the edge. And if you are ready, week seven starts now!!!

:wave: Nickel, Rose and Barb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2006/39040-casper.jpg

Chalk Cliffs on Rügen
c. 1818
Oil on canvas, 90,5 x 71 cm
Stiftung Oskar Reinhart, Winterthur

Here is a quote by him:

'Close your bodily eye, so that you may see your picture first with your spiritual eye', he wrote, 'then bring to the light of day that which you have seen in the darkness so that it may react on others from the outside inwards.'

If you want to read a little about him here is a good link:

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/f/friedric/2/210fried.html

tyree
02-11-2006, 06:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2006/65063-carava.jpg Italian Baraoque Painter Caravaggio..1571-1610...Judith Beheading Holofernes....1598...graphite on Strathmore Vellum 500 series..Head portrait only!!!:evil: tyree

mauricar
02-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Tyree, you head is good. 1598 - I didn't know you were that old. My goodness, but you look good for your age (lol)

Fish<><
02-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Tyree - My goodness, you are on the ball this week. :) I haven't even figured out a reference yet for the week. :(

Great sketch and the lighting you've got here is beautiful!

mauricar
02-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Here is a quick rendition of Ruth in the Fields by Merle Hughes. If I feel better later in the week I will work on it somemore.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2006/71456-ruth_ver_1.jpg
She is CP on bristol vellum.

Nickel
02-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Susan you have done a great job with showing emotions! She certainly looks like she just did justice her way!!!! Good job! I like the depth you have in her eyes! Very expressive and powerful! :)

Keith can't wait to see who you show us this week on the journey!!!:wave:

Hi Midge, I love the softness you have shown of Ruth in the Field. I can see a blue sky behind her to compliment the yellow of her dress and the wheat in the field. It is just my mind finishing your painting. That is a compliment to you, when an artist leaves something for the viewer to do, that is a good thing. I hope you will feel better soon!!!:wave:

Nickel

PushingPixels
02-12-2006, 02:31 AM
Week 7 man time flies when you are havin fun.... :)
I stayed up late and got my old man done so I could work on some other projects tomorrow. I doupt that I'll ever produce as much work as you Rose. I went to your site and you have been very very busy.

Beautiful pose on Ruth!! mauricar
A very good sketch Tyree...did you check out the Wallis pastel paper?
http://www.dickblick.com/zz108/08/

Here is Rembrant "Study of an Old Man" and my study in Black & White.
Done on the computer with Photoshop and then I ran a couple of art filters on him... canvas was one.
I noticed all my poitraits are women so I thought it was time for a man around the house, LOL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/44004-PoitraitofOldManSm.jpg

and my old man "Oh these Kids... they give me such an ache in the head!"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/44004-mystudyoldmansm.jpg

Fish<><
02-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Midge - Great start! Look forward to seeing how it moves along!
Pixel - I have a little more hair, but that resembles me after a morning with my kids. LOL Great sketch. Very good likeness of the original.

I have come across an pupil of Rembrandt that I am going to study this week. Samuel vann Hoogstraten. He was one of the earliest painters to use and master trompe l'oeil.

Fish<><
02-12-2006, 03:24 PM
I was borwsing through my "Artist's Magazine" collection and found this interesting article in June 2004. It was about trompe l'oeil. Literally meaning "trick of the eye," it was like photorealism before the photo. :cool: Pretty cool, huh? Anyways, I decided I really needed to work on difining a light source in my work which was originally why this caught my eye.

Here is my study of Trompe l'Oeil by Samuel van Hoogstraten:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/54332-vanHoogstraten_wk7.jpg
8 x 10, NuPastel on cardstock

Oh, here (http://www.akademiegalerie.at/6d.html) is a link to the referencein case you missed the article in the magazine. :D

rhysyllanfair
02-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Nickel, last week it was the magic carpet, this week the Friedrich. The subject doesn't interest me that much, but the effect is stupendous. The depth and sense that you are hanging on the edge, falling into the scene. Someone explain just what he has done here to achieve that effect.

Robert

PushingPixels
02-12-2006, 08:12 PM
o0ops!

PushingPixels
02-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Nickel, last week it was the magic carpet, this week the Friedrich. The subject doesn't interest me that much, but the effect is stupendous. The depth and sense that you are hanging on the edge, falling into the scene. Someone explain just what he has done here to achieve that effect.
Robert

Yea it's a very dynamic piece isn't it! I think what gives the illusion of great depth is the stark contrast between the fore-ground and middle and then darker still to the background. Did you notice the V at the bottom and echoed in the rock formations. The most effective is the placement of the clifts extending way beyound the ground plane a sort of forced perspective so to speak. It is circular almost a heart with the trees at the top.
Without the strategic placement of the figures though it would loose much of it’s effect. Way cool.

Nickel
02-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Barbara, your "Study of an Old Man" in Black & White is great! You got his mood down pat!!! He looks like he needs some asprin!!!! Keith made me laugh saying it was him in the morning with his children. Lol! Funny. Your answer to Robert about the Friedrich was good. I hadn't even noticed the heart shape. How valentiney! Lol, it is very much like tunnel vision don't you think? When you look you are trapped and can only go where the artist intended. Out or down. Your choice, hehe, I wish I could do as well with intentions. Glad you liked the effect Robert, sorry you didn't like the subject. :D :D :D was it the honies or the moonies? :D The website did say that the people added to the effect, the man on the right holding the bush to keep from falling and then the wife pointing out and Friedrich laying on the ground to keep from falling off the edge. Not sure how the painting would feel without them. Keith your trompe l'oeil is great! Sure wish you write something about your process when you have a few spare moments. Very nice work, it that a shaving brush?
:wave: Nickel

Fish<><
02-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Pixels - Good point. After I looked at this again, I sense a vanishing point down off the bottom of the canvas. It is even emphasized by the shadows at the bottom of the scene.

tyree
02-12-2006, 11:08 PM
midge...very soft and lovely ....hope you get to feeling better!!!!pushing pixels...thanks for the Wallis site..This photoshop work is so interesting to me..your darks and lights are well done!!!! keith..i think youve accomplished your goal of the light source very very well....tyree:wave:

Chloe_1
02-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Hi nickel and all,
I missed week 5. Should I post what I have for this week for week 5..or just continue?

Chloe_1
02-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Sorry meant week 6:-)))

rhysyllanfair
02-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the insights into the Friedrich painting, PushingPixels and Nickel. I don't know a great deal about him, but his paintings seem to me to hover somewhere between classical realism and surrealism - in this case between the human figures and realistic trees and the almost mystical cliffs and background. I don't dislike it, but it feels very strange to me. I'm also curious as to whether the chalk cliffs really erode into these kinds of shapes or is that something he saw with his 'spiritual eye.' Nothing wrong with it - just curiosity.

Robert

Chloe_1
02-13-2006, 06:19 PM
This Week I was inspired by Paul Ranson (1864-1909) , a french painter from Les Nabis Movement. This is called Apple Tree with Red Fruit. It's on Textured Clay Board 5x7. watercolor http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2006/68155-IMG_0282.JPG :wave:

Nickel
02-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Chloe so nice to see you:wave: :wave: :wave:

Your watercolor is as always beautiful just like you!!!

Your painting gives me a nice warm feeling, spring is springing:D nice to see a cheery painting on a chilly winters night. So did you name your painting this week??? You know I look for your names you give them. :D It is part of the journey:D

Hi Robert, I love your curiosity!!!! It helps me to experience our journey!!!
I certainly love to explore art! Since I am not in school anymore, I don't remember things, but I do have books to look in. Here is some of what I found.

I can understand why “his paintings seem to hover somewhere between classical realism and surrealism - in this case between the human figures and realistic trees and the almost mystical cliffs and background.”

Romantic artists coexisted with literature and theater. Romanticism was promoted as a vision, a state of mind rather than as a style to duplicate. German Romanticism centered around a literary editor who also translated Shakespeare, August Wilhelm von Schlegel and his brother Friedrich von Schlegel a noted philosopher. They emphasized mood and character over plots. They influenced Friedrich. It is reality; his paintings are impersonal but meticulous. You only find this with the German Romantics. It is a state of mind not a style of painting.

While landscape was the subject of choice for most Romantics, I would say the painting like Keith did of trompe l'oeil is also a Romantic state of mind. Other artist to look at for Romantic paintings are Thomas Eakins, Francois Miller, William Harnett, Edward Hicks, Raphaelle Peale, Winslow Homer, William Turner, Camille Corot, Eugene Delacroix, Honore Daumier, and John Constable.

Now I wouldn't have know that without curiosity and wanting to discuss it with good friends :wave: :wave: :wave: Nickel

rosebard
02-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi guys!! Week #7, did we think we could have the inspiration to come to this far? Well there are so much to explore in ART there is hard to loose inspiration isnt it.....

So funny when I first looked at the painting didnt noticed the men and the woman on bottom of the painting. Oh boy, crazy people to follow a crazy painter. That is what I like so much about this journey the little things we read here and there that is fun to learn.

Susan another nice sketch in graphite. :) How can you get the mouth perspective so well. I always have hard time when comes to the mouth in 3/4 view.

Midge hope you doing well. This is lovely and I hope you do work it more, you have wonderfull start there and a lovely subject of study. :)

This is nice Barb. I still wonder how you guys can do that good with a computer soft. YOu and Margie wow! :)

Keith that one is really nice. You did great with the pastels. :)

Lovely colors Marie!! :)

tyree
02-13-2006, 08:56 PM
thank you rose for your kind comments....chloe...a very soft lovely watercolour very inspirational!!! tyree:clap: :wave:

Chloe_1
02-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Chloe so nice to see you:wave: :wave: :wave:

Your watercolor is as always beautiful just like you!!!

Your painting gives me a nice warm feeling, spring is springing:D nice to see a cheery painting on a chilly winters night. So did you name your painting this week??? You know I look for your names you give them. :D It is part of the journey:D

hi Nickel.. yes it's called "Apple Tree with Red Fruit". Nickel I missed week #6.. If I post something in there will it go in the gallery still..? I will try to this week, and see what I can do. Thanks for lovely comments:wave:

Chloe_1
02-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Tyree,Great work and very expressive
Midge, Nice soft portrait
PushingPixels, good lighting on your portrait, and he doesn't look totally in despair in your version;-))
Fish, Great light on the cloth..

Tks. Bard:-)))

Nickel
02-13-2006, 10:52 PM
hi Nickel.. yes it's called "Apple Tree with Red Fruit". Nickel I missed week #6.. If I post something in there will it go in the gallery still..? I will try to this week, and see what I can do. Thanks for lovely comments:wave:

Thanks Chloe for the name, no problem, I'd be glad to put in your week 6 in the gallery!!!:) I'll be looking for your post!!! :wave: Nickel

Fish<><
02-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Nickel - I think we posted at the same time the last time. I just noticed your notes about my process. I'd love to do that. How's this sound...

Next week, I'll work on mine and try to take some pics along the way. Work it up as a WIP. Try to give an idea of what I do along the way. Never done it before, but why not. Maybe someone else could do a WIP the following week. See what we can learn from taking turns and seeing how each other bring their works to life. Just a suggestion.

Maybe one of you "driving" on this journey could come up with some sort of schedule that we could sign up for. I volunteer for week 8! :)

What do you think?

Fish<><
02-13-2006, 10:55 PM
P.S. -- Nice work Chloe! Love the Spring-y colors.

Now I got Spring Fever. Thanks a lot. :)

Chloe_1
02-14-2006, 12:04 AM
tks fish..tyree;-))

rhysyllanfair
02-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Nickel, thanks for the great information on German Romanticism. I'm going to do some more reading on that period. For Week #7, I thought I would go ahead and post this pencil drawing I have done of Joseph Severn's portrait of John Keats done just before he died in 1821. Here's a link to the original: http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/features/keats/keats.html

I did this as a preliminary sketch for a painting I want to do of this subject, but that will take me far more than a week to complete. In the sketch, I feel I've lost some of the very tender quality of Severn's piece and I hope to get it back in a painting.

Many of you may have been there, but I thought it would be worth mentioning that you can visit the "Keat's House" at the foot of the Spanish Steps in Rome, where Keats dies and Severn did this sketch. It is one of the most moving places I have ever visited and I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Rome. The thought of Severn watching over his dying friend so carefully and capturing his feelings so powerfully is awesome to me.

Robert

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2006/49654-Keats.JPG

tyree
02-14-2006, 07:19 PM
robert..a very moving sketch....tyree:wave:

mauricar
02-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Nice going Choloe. Good job.
Robert - very touching. A few years ago I sat with a lady until she died. I did several sketches of her sleeping. I gave them to her family, and they were very touched. The emotion going into such a painting speaks louder than words.

Sorry troops, I have been really ill. Had some tests on Monday, doctor wants to see me again. Phew! This plays (you know what) *%#[email protected]($% on my art. I will try to finish Ruth, but my eyes just don't see the work right. I'm working in black and white right now because of that. You all are doing great. Keep it up. Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and thoughts.

mauricar
02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Keith - I almost missed your work. Very nice. I like that type of work very much.

PushingPixels
02-14-2006, 09:21 PM
mauricar ... my heart goes out to you...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2006/44004-artichokes-heart.jpg
I just want to encourage you to rest and take it easy.
Happy Valentines day to you and all my new friends here in the classics...

I certainly know what it's like to have to give up doing what you want even for a time. barb

Rose - Great poitrait for your avatar I like it!
Nickel - now I'm off on a new search thanks to you and Robert...

Chloe_1
02-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Tks. Midge.. Wishing you well soon;-)

mauricar
02-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the beautiful flower. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Fish<><
02-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Midge - Get better soon! We'll all keep you in our thoughts and prayers. :) Thanks for the comment by the way.

Robert - Great sketch. Keep us posted on that painting too! :)

rosebard
02-15-2006, 08:01 AM
MIDGE! :) :) :)

Thanks Barb I think so too. I may do it sometime. :)

Keep going guys you all doing great. :)

Nickel
02-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Nickel - I think we posted at the same time the last time. I just noticed your notes about my process. I'd love to do that. How's this sound...

Next week, I'll work on mine and try to take some pics along the way. Work it up as a WIP. Try to give an idea of what I do along the way. Never done it before, but why not. Maybe someone else could do a WIP the following week. See what we can learn from taking turns and seeing how each other bring their works to life. Just a suggestion.

Maybe one of you "driving" on this journey could come up with some sort of schedule that we could sign up for. I volunteer for week 8! :)

What do you think?

Keith that is the spirit I like to see!!! I think it is wonderful of you to want to do this!!!!! To let as many see as possible a wip, what do you think about putting it in the regular classical forum, or how would you and anyone else on our journey that wants to do one (wip) want to do it????

I am open to ideas and of course I don't really know how to do anything that I know you would want to see that you don't all ready know, most of what I know takes longer to do but I am willing to do it too but I would like to do something that you all would want to see or learn about. I don't know everything but I do know some folks around WC that might share some wisdom, it never hurts to ask. :)

We might could all pick something too and do it together, that would be fun and educational, doing group art in our chosen medium. Well, let me know.

We could do it here in the project area too.

Everybody please let me know, no pressure on anyone, ok, :wave: Nickel

Fish<><
02-15-2006, 10:10 PM
I'd be glad to post in the Classical forum. It's a good week for me to do this because I just got a call from the local YMCA accepting my proposal to teach some art classes there. I'm not sure how I'll do, but am willing to give it a shot Becasuse what I have learned, I taught myself.

I'll WIP it up in the classical forum next week and post a link in the project thread. Does that sound like a good idea?

Nickel
02-15-2006, 10:17 PM
I'd be glad to post in the Classical forum. It's a good week for me to do this because I just got a call from the local YMCA accepting my proposal to teach some art classes there. I'm not sure how I'll do, but am willing to give it a shot Becasuse what I have learned, I taught myself.

I'll WIP it up in the classical forum next week and post a link in the project thread. Does that sound like a good idea?

Wonderful Keith, it sounds wonderful!!!!

Congratulations on the YMCA classes!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd love to sign up at the Y for your class,
but it is a little far for me with the price of gas:)
I will be looking in on the wip for sure following your every step!
The link is a good idea!!! :wave: Nickel

Nickel
02-15-2006, 10:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2006/49654-Keats.JPG

Robert I think your sketch is everymuch as sensative as the Severn's!
Very emotionally moving!!! I like it a lot! :) Nickel

Nickel
02-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Midge, I like your work anyway you can do it!

Hope the doc's have something good to help you!

My best wishes to you, feel better soon :wave: Nickel

mauricar
02-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Keith - congratulations on your YMCA appointment. That is wonderful. I also have some exciting news. A very nice lady is making me a special apparatis to use while I am in bed. I will be able to paint away. It should be here next week. SO look out. I'll be coming back full force.

I want to thank you all for the kind thoughts and prayers on my behalf. I feel truely blessed that so many of you people care. I am so glad I found the WC and all of its forums. Sorry to burden you with my problems. I didn't mean to do that. I am afraid it takes away from the wonderful work that everyone does. Again, please forgive me.

Nickel
02-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Midge, sometimes we only get the chance to view and then reflect on a life journey, words are important too! You are part of my journey! Your beauty will never distract! :cat: Cheers to us all and you!!! Nickel

tyree
02-16-2006, 07:19 PM
keith...congrats on your new appointment, best wishes....midge...what a kind person that was to help you create a mini art studio,,,please take care....tyree:wave:

Nickel
02-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh the joys of travel and the discoveries you make. I decided that I have pretty much painted my last nude. Not that I have painted that many, but I have not been happy painting Venus, and it is about my discovery to me.

Here she is not finished and her destiny unkown.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2006/39040-Image109.jpg

Venus Verticordia
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
1864-8

Nickel
02-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Here is the link to week #8

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4358979#post4358979

tyree
02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
nickel...i feel she has a wonderful repose to her...very very nicely done!!! tyree:wave: :clap:

Nickel
02-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks Susan, I may work on her somemore, change her to suit my current mindset, but I am going to let her rest for awhile. I appreciate the kind words.

obxladybear
02-21-2006, 11:32 AM
I know I am a bit late here...but have been under the weather...heading toward the mend now....here is my week #7....not too happy with it, but will work twice as hard on week #8....(once I decide what to do)...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2006/30099-week-7.JPG

Once again, I see everyone is doing such a great job....

Nickel
02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi Charlene! Glad you are feeling better!

I like your work. I think they both have lovely face expressions.:)

And you did very well with the drapery!

That is not easy.

Bravo! dear, you are doing great!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Let me know if you need any chicken soup ;) I hope you didn't catch that flu bug, it is a bummer.:(

AriadneArts
02-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi everybody!

I know this isn't very polite, but I have to get off the computer for awhile because I must rest my back. I had a bit of staff business to take care of this morning and so have been on the comp too long already. Therefore, I'm going to post my effort for this week and come back later to read the thread and comment on all of your excellent efforts.

Original: The Goldfinch, Carel Fabritius, 1654
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2006/6306-The_Goldfinch_by_Fabritius_1654.jpg

My Version: Colored Pencil on Canson Mis Tientes, 3-1/2" x 5-1/2"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2006/6306-The_Goldfinch-eod_rz.jpg

Nickel
02-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Eileen, you don't need to work so hard, it is Friday :D

I love your version of the little bird, very sweet!

It is really a lovely drawing :thumbsup:

I like it a lot!

tyree
02-25-2006, 10:42 PM
charlene...very romantic quite lovely...eileen...very sweet and delicate...like the colours....tyree:clap: :wave: :heart:

Fish<><
02-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Charlene - Well done! I really like how bright the cloth looks.
Eileen - Beautiful little bird! Is it your technique or the texture of the paper that gives that stippled effect? I really like it!

AriadneArts
02-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks so much Nickel, Tyree and Keith. Keith, I did it on the backside of Mis Tientes pastel paper which has a certain grain pattern as its 'tooth.'

AriadneArts
02-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone. I finally had the chance to read the entire thread. What a lovely lot of entries this week!

Tyree: Great job on Judith's head--excellent expression.

Midge: First, I hope you're healing quickly and feeling better. You've done a lovely job on Ruth in the Fields.

Pixels: Well done. You did a great job on his hand, especially. Love the caption. LOL.

Keith: Very nicely done. I've lately become very interested in trompe l'oeil myself.

Chloe: Lovely work on the apple tree piece. Great use of color. Has a serene, oriental look to it.

Robert: Awesome and faithful to the original. You nailed it.

Nickel: Your Venus is very colorful and festive. I like her expression, especially.

Charlene: Just lovely. Your CP technique is beautiful. I'm just beginning to use cp's since it's easier to work propped up in bed with cps, and I have to rest my back often till it's (hopefully) healed.

What a great bunch we all are, hey? Let's give ourselves all big pats on the back. Well, maybe not too big on my back just now......:D

Nickel
02-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks Eileen!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2006/39040-flowermonk.gif

For you! Feel better this week!

Nickel :wave:

AriadneArts
02-27-2006, 01:10 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2006/39040-flowermonk.gif

For you! Feel better this week!
Nickel :wave:

Awwwww. you're just a sweetie, you are. Thx! :D

Nickel
02-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Yes, I eat lots of sugar, helps, lol, followed by lots of very hot, thick, black liquid in tiny cups diluted with moo-moo juice. Here is another little guy to make you all smile. You can use him as you please. :lol: It's like what did I do wrong? hehe, guess you can tell what I do when I am avoiding painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2006/39040-jackbenny_smiley.gif

:heart: Nickel

AriadneArts
02-27-2006, 11:41 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2006/39040-jackbenny_smiley.gif

:heart: Nickel

Thanks Nickel. I love this little smilie, but I can't figure out how to copy it. Any suggestions?