PDA

View Full Version : Swift River Rocks

meowmeow
02-11-2006, 01:38 PM
This is a painting from a photo I took a while back at the Swift River in NH, on the Kancamagus Highway. It is about 9x12 on white Wallis, prismacolor marker underpainting, soft pastels. There is a bit more greenery at the top of the painting.
I'm at the "needing feedback" stage...I keep picking at it and don't want to ruin it. I think I am about there but not sure. Not the sure splashy water is working or not...depends on my mood when I look at it!
So...C&C welcome...pretty please! And I won't bother saying what is wrong with the image on the screen...suffice it to say that it is never exactly the way I think it should be!
Thanks for looking!

Sandy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2006/15050-smallswift.jpg

Paula Ford
02-11-2006, 01:40 PM
WOW Sandy, this is gorgeous!

My only suggestion is to put a bit more darks in between the rocks in the front left.

Paula

John B
02-11-2006, 01:45 PM
HI Sandy,

I like it I think it is coming along well the colours are excellent and the water is exciting. IMO a tiny bit of blending at the bottom in the 'white water' would produce the effect of the mingling and haze that fast water seems to have.

I love the lose style it gives the painting such energy and the rock are very well done and reflect the activity around them

Kindest regards

John

meowmeow
02-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks to both of you...and I agree with both of you. In fact I had been standing here a couple of minutes ago, hitting the watery areas with my finger to soften them!
And definitely some bits of darker color between the left rocks.
Thanks for the encouragement.
By the way, the colors are pretty accurate, but of course since it has been compressed for the screen it has lost a bit of the punch it really has. Hmmm....I wasn't going to say that, was I? :D

Sandy

PeggyB
02-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Sandy this is coming along nicely. Paula has a good suggestion. Mine is a question. On the left in the background is a lovely large boulder and next to that is a diagonal vertical shape that I'm uncertain if it is a light colored rock or water flowing over the rocks. With the very dark of the forward rock so near that light value, it is drawing my eye to that area and away from the lovely foreground. Placing some darks in the foreground as Paula suggested will help, but defining whatever that other shape is will too.

Peggy

meowmeow
02-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks Peggy. I see what you mean. It is not quite as bad in the real painting, but definitely a "rocky issue"....I'll play with that. Rocks are fun to play with! :D
Actually...I ahve to be careful because I tend to start "playing" and play too much....

Sandy

tURBOCAT
02-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Like how you really have some color going on, along with great texture.

Johnnie

meowmeow
02-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks Johnnie!

Here is the updated version.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2006/15050-swift2sm.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions...and feel free to continue making them!

Sandy

meowmeow
02-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Hmmmm....I like most of what I did except now I am not sure about the big rock on the right..why does that happen? :D Oh well...I'll leave it for the moment and see how I feel in a while. And see if anyone else has any thoughts.

Sandy

Karen Margulis
02-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Fantastic rocks and I just love the colors! Thanks for sharing!
Karen

granddad
02-11-2006, 03:55 PM
great painting, james

Kathryn Wilson
02-11-2006, 05:14 PM
oooh, Sandy, this is lovely! So lively with all kinds of colors - I think this new way of working looks good on you - :)

Two ideas - you want the splashy water in front to be the focal point, right - so why are the rocks in the back taking my eye away from the water? Maybe they need to be toned down a bit? I think you could go real dramatic with this and have the rocks in the front, with the water, be hit with bright sunlight, while the rocks in the back take a back seat so to speak.

I'm not sure about that rock on the right either - it looks like it's got a cap on - maybe soften the edges between the dark and light?

meowmeow
02-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure about that rock on the right either - it looks like it's got a cap on

Exactly! :D Great minds think alike...well, the cap is gone, as it were. I softened it and worked it more into the rock and I think it is looking better. I need to mull it over some more before I bother scanning it in again.
You have a point about the rocksin the back. I started out with them softened more but as usual, fiddled and diddled, adding detail and voila...rocks in your face! I like the cluster of 3 rocks but they probably are distracting for this painting...so maybe I will tone them down a bit...send 'em back more.
Good suggestions, Kat-lady! We are supposed to have a snow storm tonight into tomorrow so I should have time to mess with this tomorrow...probably mess it up real good!
Thanks for the help...everyone!

Sandy

John B
02-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Wow, this has really come on in leaps and bounds, it looks like you have really taken charge of this painting. Sound advise from Kat, this is already a very fine painting but with those extra touches Kat suggests this will be a painting head and shoulders above what you started with at the beginning of this thread, Well done so far, stick it out it will be worth it there is a wonderful painting on your easel.

John

Kathryn Wilson
02-11-2006, 05:37 PM
I could look at this all day and see something new - I love the pools of water with the rocks in the bottom - how you did that, I haven't a clue. Can't wait to see your changes.

Remember, baby steps - a little at a time. (it's a chant that I start when I get to fiddling too much with a painting)

Pinecone Conniff
02-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Great advice from Kat! Tough subject...you are in the home stretch...can't wait to see your updates!
Annette

Dark_Shades
02-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Well look at you go with all those colours...... great Sandy........ lots of movement and action here........ look forward to seeing your update

Tom Christopher
02-11-2006, 08:35 PM
a really nice use of color going on here Sandy--i am not seeing a specific light direction-- I think if you darken the shadows and create more contrast the painting will show more depth and drama.. thank you Tom

Orchidacea
02-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Oh nice--great colors--very impressionistic! You've gotten some great advice here, so I'll just join the cheering section and wait for the final product!

meowmeow
02-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Okay, I'm back. I appreciate all the helpful and encouraging comments! Thank you!
I have toned down the back rocks and added some more highlights to the front ones. I think the actual painting looks a little better than what you see here...it's funny how the light highights seems too bright on the screen...almost iridescent. And some of the dark highlights seem to fade. But..we all have the same problem so I'll shut uip about it! :D
Here it is...I am still open to comment but not sure how much more I want to do to it. I am afraid it will start to look overworked.
Oh..Kat asked about how I did the water pools in the front. I'm glad they worked! I am not sure but I know I went very lightly...let underpainting show through...just lightly laid in the rocks and sort of "splashed" water around them.

Thanks again for all the help!

Sandy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/15050-swift3small.jpg

Yeah...the actual painting is not so soft...it is crisper...in a good way! There is more contrast generally...but when I try to bump that up for here it messes other stuff up....iridiscizes the lights!

meowmeow
02-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Don't know if this helps give an idea but here is a close up of a small section.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/15050-closeup_swift.jpg

:)

Sandy

meowmeow
02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Doh! New computer....new programs...it's great but I don't get all of it.
Now, here is a close up! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/15050-Copy_of_swift_river.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
02-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Love those close-ups! You let your paper support do the work for you in those little pools of water - excellent!

I am still thinking darker in the background, but let's hear from other folks about that part of the painting. I may be wanting to go for too much drama - you are the artist - :)

Oh, the capped rock - looking better, but that solid line may need just a touch with the finger to soften it in a couple of places. What do YOU think?

Pinecone Conniff
02-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I would proudly consider this a successful completed painting! Not overworked...nice splashy areas & colorful calms!:clap:
Annette

MarshaSavage
02-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Sandy,
I love what you are doing. When I think I'm at the end, I usually ask several questions that will hopefully help evaluate if there is anything else that needs to be done to make it from a "good" painting into a "better" painting.

I try to make sure that there are not the same colors (intensity and warmth) in the background as there are in the foreground. So . . . my thoughts on your background are those warm greens especially -- would be somewhat cooler since they are distant. Maybe look at some of the wonderful vibrant colors in the foreground and that you are not using the same exact color in the receding planes.

Where is the focal point? Is everything else playing second fiddle to that and hopefully it is. Sometimes this is a matter of "texture" only -- remember there is less detail as the planes recede. Again, the background might be a little too busy for keeping the eye in the foreground. I know your background trees or whatever is on the bank is softened and has no really hard lines -- but maybe there is a little too much going on there with changes in colors. Also you might have some "lost" edges between the tree area and some of those most distant rocks.

So . . . do you get the idea that maybe I think anything that is wrong is really something with the middle distance or furtherest distance? The front plane to mid-front plane is wonderful -- so make sure the receding planes don't compete.

HarvestMoon
02-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Sandy- super love these- you know how i feel about rocks- now I am super excited and charged up for the day....
Linda

meowmeow
02-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure about the darker background, Kat. But I think Marsha has it right...I had done a little toning the greens down but was afraid to do too much...but I agree...they need to go away more..and they are busier than they seem. You're right.
And I need to soften some of the planes, as it were...at least in the backrgound.
I see what you are saying..boh of you.
I think there is somehow a bit more difference in the real painting between the foreground and the background..somehow it all seems to soften and blend in the compressing...but I think I need to lok at it for a while and then work on it some more.
Thanks...

Sandy

Khadres
02-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Sandy, I love this! I guess it's just me, but I find the horizontal lines/slashes in the water behind the main splash area to be distracting and un-"watery", especially since you are using the same technique on the rocks, etc. I'm wondering if just a whisper of blending (don't homogenize!) and bluing of he water as it recedes might help? Also, I think you can still up the contrast (darks) in the rocks around the splash area even more to make the white water pop more. The LESS contrast and bluer colors as the rocks recede the better?

This is all just tweaky stuff from my viewpoint. As I said, I like this VERY much as is, too!

meowmeow
02-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks Sooz...and everyone else who was posting while I was posting!

I'm going to just look at this for a while...then play a bit...but I think it needs a little tweaking...I'll be happier with it I think. None of what you are saying is really a big deal...she said...hopefully....
But you are all making some excellent points. I agree about the liney-liney- water. Good point..bad lines! :D

SAndy

Kathryn Wilson
02-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Sandy,
I love what you are doing. When I think I'm at the end, I usually ask several questions that will hopefully help evaluate if there is anything else that needs to be done to make it from a "good" painting into a "better" painting.

I try to make sure that there are not the same colors (intensity and warmth) in the background as there are in the foreground. So . . . my thoughts on your background are those warm greens especially -- would be somewhat cooler since they are distant. Maybe look at some of the wonderful vibrant colors in the foreground and that you are not using the same exact color in the receding planes.

Where is the focal point? Is everything else playing second fiddle to that and hopefully it is. Sometimes this is a matter of "texture" only -- remember there is less detail as the planes recede. Again, the background might be a little too busy for keeping the eye in the foreground. I know your background trees or whatever is on the bank is softened and has no really hard lines -- but maybe there is a little too much going on there with changes in colors. Also you might have some "lost" edges between the tree area and some of those most distant rocks.

So . . . do you get the idea that maybe I think anything that is wrong is really something with the middle distance or furtherest distance? The front plane to mid-front plane is wonderful -- so make sure the receding planes don't compete.

What she said - but said so much clearer than my effort to help - :D

meowmeow
02-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Alrighty....I think I am at the point where I will ruin it if I do anymore..so unless there is something glaring I will leave it be. But...feel free to comment if you see something I can learn from for next time.
Thanks for all the help...I know sometimes it is hard to explain what you mean so I appreciate people taking the time to work it through.
It's always hard for me (and I think other people) when I have a section of a painting that I really like...but that part really isn't right. I really liked those 3 rocks on the upper left...but I knew from the start that they were a problem...it just took me a while to work them back to where they should be...in the background. I suppose if I want to I can just do a painting of those rocks! :D

By the way, you guys rock!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/15050-swift4sm.jpg

And a close up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/15050-closeup4.jpg

Orchidacea
02-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Sandy, you've made a big difference. Sign it and frame it--it's great!

Kathryn Wilson
02-12-2006, 06:31 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree - sign and frame it!

Paula Ford
02-12-2006, 09:12 PM
It's beautiful Sandy!! I agree also...sign it and frame it.

Paula

bnoonan
02-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Sandy - there is a great sense of movement in your strokes and yet the rich combination of bold colors is a delight. I'm not a good painter of rocks so I don't have much to add - but it's definitely flowing....

Good for you getting back into the dust.

Barb

meowmeow
02-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks everyone!

Time to start something new!

Sandy

Piper Ballou
02-13-2006, 08:08 AM
so glad I saw this thread.....and the progress.....
very nice Sandy

MarciaJane
02-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Great colours in this one.. I love your rocks. Very nice ! :)

Tom Behnke
02-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I really like the feel of this. I agree that there should be some more dark to anchor this and give it some more depths.

Someone wants a waterfall scene from me, and I hope I can render the water as nice as this.

scall0way
02-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Wow, I think it's a stunner. Love the colors. Love the Kancamagus Highway too. Wish I'd thought to take more pictures when I was there, but didn't have a very good camera then.

Terry Wynn
02-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi, Sandy,

Gorgeous - loved seeing you bring this to conclusion - your use of color and strokes - I can hear the water zinging and splish-splashing - LOVELY!

Terry

grantkruger
02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Very interesting technique and I'm really intrigued by the look of the piece. You made me want to go and pull some pastels out right away!

Bhavana Vijay
02-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Great job Sandy!!I love your use of colours, this must been such a difficult subject to paint. Thanks for the close ups, really enjoyed them.

meowmeow
02-13-2006, 02:01 PM
You made me want to go and pull some pastels out right away!

Thank you so much everyone! I enjoyed painting this and am glad to know I inspired someone else to paint!

Sandy