PDA

View Full Version : New Terry Ludwig Set

MarshaSavage
02-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Here is the first painting I have done with a new set. I chose 60 colors and had him make me a set. They will be on the market, so I'll put something in his personal forum. This was a test drive of the first set. I have made one substitution for a grayed down blue green that was too close in color and tint to another one. We will have a light yellow ochre for "wheat" colors in there instead.

This was done on Wallis with an alcohol wash (using the Ludwigs - which I don't usually do -- usually use Nupastels) and the size is 24" x 20". Remember, I was testing colors -- so it is a little "all over the board"!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2006/2540-DeepShade72x62.jpg

Tell me what you think!

granddad
02-10-2006, 12:09 PM
a wonderful painting. I love the colors, just wonderful. james

Tatijana
02-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Martha
your landscape painting is just beautiful:clap: , something many of us aspire to.:)
i'm sure you had a wonderful time with your new set of pastels.
do terry's pastel sets come with a painting on the cover like the great american do? that would be a wonderful painting to use.

but i do have a question -
i was looking at the photo of the set you posted in the pastel talk forum and noticed there are no mid tones in orange and yellow to speak of. i do know that the southwest has its own unique bright colors; and in the midwest and northeast, we run across some bright colors in the summer flowers and in the fall.
I have spent little time in the southeast, but am still surprised that

Dark_Shades
02-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Wonderful Painting Marsha...... lovely scene, and really like the colours - one thing I noted was how blue green the right diagonal was especially to the left, and for my personal preference would like to of seen a little of the same hinted in the top left ...... I would perhaps just alter slightly the yellowish green rock at the bottom, and some of the markings....... as Im seeing faces. well animals lol, probably my fault have been paintings dogs all week :) ..
The pastels sound very interesting, is Terry Producing any sample sets?

Super as always to see your work

Tatijana
02-10-2006, 12:29 PM
sorry - pressed a wrong button - bad fingers....

to continue....
i am surprised that those colors do not appear in nature somehow, though most of us have more than one set of pastels to work with and these must be your favorites. must have been very difficult to choose just 60.
just curious
tj

Tatijana
02-10-2006, 12:37 PM
how observant - one could make out 2 dogs in the bottom right. how awesome - looks like one is whispering into the others ear.....
it's funny how i didn't see it until it was mentioned, and now they won't fade back into the rocks. also see a white outline of a setter? in the upper left bank of the creek.lol
tj

MarshaSavage
02-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks James, Tatijana and Dark Shades!

Tatijana -- when choosing the 60 colors it would have been nearly impossible to do if I had to include all the fall colors we have -- or all the flower colors we can have!! I do believe that I could probably do a passable fall scene even with these colors. I tend not to use the most garish fall colors as I like a more subtle fall. Orange, brown and yellow are not my favorite colors. The set does have 3 very nice light yellows, but as you saw, not mid yellows.

Most sets like this are so you can pare down your supplies -- but we all know we will have our own favorites we will add to any set!

Dark Shades -- funny - but the moment the picture came on the screen, my eyes went straight to the long-nosed dog peaking out from behind the lower right rock!!! I mean he's perfect -- gotta change that. And with reference to your color thoughts -- I will now probably try to adjust the painting to really make a "frameable" painting out of this. I'll let it set a day or two to assess what I want to change. I'll probably look at it in grey scale also. I knew there were some areas that were not harmonious, but again - I was trying to use all the colors in the set -- seeing what each one looked like when applied and next to something else.

I do appreciate the comments -- sometimes we don't see our own mistakes!

MarshaSavage
02-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Dang -- I did not see the setter! Those tree branches or roots make a perfect one! And . . . yep, it is a golden retriever whispering in the ear of the shepherd!

Mike_Beeman
02-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Beautiful painting...Terry makes a good product!

MarshaSavage
02-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Dark Shades - forgot to answer about the sets. Yes he is producing the sets and will be sending me a dozen of them in mid-March. I'm not sure what he plans as far as his own marketing of them will be. He expects me to "rep" them here in the Southeast. I already have about 20 people that expressed interest (my students) and I have not even tapped the Southeastern Pastel Society yet! Also, I teach anywhere from 3 to 6 workshops a year and expect to be able to sell them. Besides my normal weekly classes!

MarshaSavage
02-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi Mike, no kidding! I could paint exclusively (with just minor exceptions -- namely starting with Nupastels) with his pastels. And the only reason for the Nupastels is that I do alcohol washes sometimes and can't stand to use the more expensive pastels for that. Also, when doing this painting, I found that there was just too much pastel on the paper for the alcohol wash!

Mike_Beeman
02-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi Mike, no kidding! I could paint exclusively (with just minor exceptions -- namely starting with Nupastels) with his pastels. And the only reason for the Nupastels is that I do alcohol washes sometimes and can't stand to use the more expensive pastels for that. Also, when doing this painting, I found that there was just too much pastel on the paper for the alcohol wash!

I agree ...I have to use the NuPastels, the tooth just fills up too fast when I don't! Only alternative I've found is to use watercolor as the initial foundation than I don't have to worry about it. But I have to say I'm so used to picking up the NuPastels when I start I probably won't know what to do.
It really looks like you've selected a nice combination!
Mike

MarshaSavage
02-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Yep, Mike, I have tried the watercolor several times doing plein air and like it. Just need to do it a little more often. It is automatic to pick up those Nupastels.

meowmeow
02-10-2006, 02:37 PM
I love it! It doesn't look over the top to me at all. I love the light and the rocks...and I wouldn't have noticed the long nosed guy at all if it haden't been pointed out...he's kinda cute, actually!
Yeah...I love Terry's pastels. I am hoping to take a workshop in Maine in June...waiting for them to call me in fact.

Sandy

Pinecone Conniff
02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Oh geez!! Holy desire!:D ...I've never tried any of Terry's pastels but now that I see your painting, I really need some!:eek:
Annette

meowmeow
02-10-2006, 05:15 PM
They're wonderful, Annette!!!

Sandy

Tatijana
02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Oh geez!! Holy desire! ...I've never tried any of Terry's pastels but now that I see your painting, I really need some!
Annette

how right she is/was...:evil: :eek:
i felt the same way after seeing the set and the painting, and guess what i did. called terry and ordered a few of the open stock (the darkest and the brightest) to see for myself what everybody is talking about.:D
i'm to expect them on monday.

Marsha- i showed my son(a teenager) your painting and he thought your colors were great really enjoyed looking for the animals.
honestly, there is something appealing in it, especially since you did not try to put them there...
if you havent figured out - i have a soft spot for the dogs - i have 2 of the 3 in your painting. there might be someone out there who has all three.

MarshaSavage
02-10-2006, 05:58 PM
And usually I take anything like that out -- but this time I plan to leave them in. And my husband just came in and saw it for the first time and agrees that I should, too!!!

Khadres
02-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Fantastic work with your new signature set! Wish y'all hadn't mentioned the dogs, tho....had to go back and find them! LOL Not to worry, dogs or not, it's a stunning scene!

Karen Margulis
02-11-2006, 09:12 AM
I LOVE the painting Marsha! And I really don't see the dogs! How exciting to see that you did it all with the new set! I am clearing out a tray now for my set...can't wait to try them!
Karen

Bhavana Vijay
02-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Wow!!!I am blown away!I hope its not too much to ask for a WIP sometime?I just love all the colours you've used.

Paula Ford
02-11-2006, 01:14 PM
So very lovely Marsha. The colors are just gorgeous. I love everything about this painting. I also love Terry Ludwig pastels (and he is a sweety too).

Beautiful work!

Paula

Kathryn Wilson
02-11-2006, 05:30 PM
LOL - Marsha, I am usually one to see shapes in paintings, but I had to really look for the dog in this one. But, I do see a non-natural box shape sitting on top of the rock on the left (just under the tree). It looks like an upside down funny face. Ok, so I'm looney - :o

I personally like the bright colors, but then that's me -

K Taylor-Green
02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I may have to jump on this bandwagon, myself! What wonderful colors in this marvelous painting

chewie
02-11-2006, 06:54 PM
pardon me first, while i wipe the drool off my keyboard! really tho, this is exceptional marsha, love the water esp.