PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

bacchusny
02-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi!

My name is Ian and I've been a silent visitor to these forums for a few weeks. I'm very impressed with your discussions and will try to participate as much as I can. After a TWENTY year hiatus I began drawing again last year with graphite and charcoal. My wife, though impressed with my drawings, requested that I do something in color and even gave me a gift certificate to Jerry's Artarama to buy art supplies (I bought a Mirage easel, Canson and Fabriano papers, and a bunch of different pastels).
I draw/paint almost every night for about one hour and I sketch outdoors during my lunch hour most days. I'm attaching an image of what's on my easels right now. The one on the left is my interpretation from a ref. image in a recent thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321871). The other is a ref. image from this website. I appreciate your welcome and your comments.

Khadres
02-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Welcome to the dusty side of life! Always nice to see a new person around here...the more the merrier and all that!

From the looks of your posting, you're already having lots of fun with your pastels! Can't tell too clearly from that distance, but both paintings look great! You'll fit right in with boat themes...a couple of the guys love doing them too...and landscapes are always a favorite. You might like to take your next work to the Soft Pastel Studio for feedback...and if you want critiques, just ask. Feel free to jump into the Weekly Scumble, Weekly Sketch and Goals threads too...they're all a fun way to get acquainted and "meet" the rest of the gang!

Again, welcome! You'll love it here!

dlake
02-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi Ian. No wonder your wife requested color. Your paintings are beautiful. I think you will like being here and talking to people. Everyone is so nice and really helpful and welcoming. Just join in whenever the spirit moves you. lol. Your paintings will be very liked as you seem quite talented. and like you, I and many others have had around a 20 year hiatus.
Welcome and enjoy
diane

bacchusny
02-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys. You put a smile on my face. I feel great that I've finally said hello. I will definitely post my next work in the Soft Pastels forum.

dlake
02-09-2006, 12:39 AM
You see, Ian. It wasn't that hard. And you'll get more responses on this thread welcoming you. Glad you said "hi"
diane

Kathryn Wilson
02-09-2006, 12:41 AM
I recognize the painting on the left - :) It's one I did just recently. Glad you liked the photo.

Welcome to the Pastel Forum - Kat

bacchusny
02-09-2006, 12:55 AM
I loved the photo and I loved your interpretation. I tried to do the rushes on the right of the photo but they looked very artificial so I copped out and made a grassy knoll instead.

Kathryn Wilson
02-09-2006, 07:36 AM
The rushes did not turn out well for me either - I was advised to take them out - :)

dlake
02-09-2006, 01:07 PM
ian and Kyle, you know what hey say....Great minds think alike.
diane

KJSCL
02-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum Ian. You'll get alot of good ideas and advise here. The 2 paintings look great. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Doodlebug1967
02-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum Ian and a fine howdy do to you! I joined in a few months ago and I can testify to the warm and friendly folks in the dust bin. They will make you feel just as welcome as they did me and these folks have a lot to offer. You will just love it here! Look forward to seeing more of your lovely work.

Ronda