PDA

View Full Version : Cezanne's Bathers with flowers.....

JanB
02-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure if this one is done or not :rolleyes: After 10 hours you'd think it would be done, but I dunno.....

What we have here is a post card version of Cezanne's Bathers, an oriental vase filled with tulips, stock and ferns, and a little faux classical bust...which I had to run right out and buy because I liked Jamies Greek goddess so much (I am just a shameless copy cat LOL). I started this one last night with a vine charcoal drawing, then a golden lake underpainting. Worked all day today on it...C&C is welcome....

14x18
oil/canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2006/48727-bathers.JPG

pinkrybns
02-08-2006, 04:59 PM
hehheh. I thought ok a Cezanne... but ok, a little one!
The colors are very lovely here ..that vase is beautifully painted. :)

LarrySeiler
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
wow...quite involved piece here...nice touch with the small photograph!

lovely!!!

JanB
02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks...Judy and Larry. I like including a famous painting in a still life every now and then, it seems to be like a thread of connection to those who came before and to whom we owe much.

DLGardner
02-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Excellent! I love your colors.

Dianne

JamieWG
02-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Jan, this is lovely. I like the way you rendered the vase and the soft, salmon-colored background is very nice. Where did you find that little bust? How wonderful!

How did you like working with a golden-colored underpainting? That's what I did on my last one, and I like the effect a lot.

You say you're not sure you're finished. What is it that you're not yet happy with? I think all I'd possibly do at this point would be to strengthen some of the dark values in the shadow areas and hit a few highlights.

Jamie

brianc
02-09-2006, 07:38 AM
It is beautiful. The Vase is perfect. And nice composition. I like the idea of a photo or a little painting in a still life. I've seen it done before (I'm sure Larry wasn't the first :) ) and it always adds some class.

Wayne Gaudon
02-09-2006, 07:39 AM
lovely expression of color .. that table top purple is glowing.

RobinZ
02-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Oh, yeah!! The vase is so pretty, it's almost prettier than the flowers! Super all around!

JanB
02-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Thank you Dianne!!

Jamie the little faux classical bust came from Home Goods, $12.99, can't beat that. They have two others that are calling to me LOL The golden underpainting was chosen to help control all that purple Ever since you mentioned doing a trns. red ox. underpainting I've been playing around with them again and really liking the results, an underpainting can bring a great deal of harmony to a piece. I'm not unhappy with anything, just after 8 hrs. of working on this I couldn't tell anymore...I was waiting to see what you guys said LOL

Thanks Brian...including little famous paintings is lots of fun.

Wayne...I covered the table top with tissue paper it was a great color to start with.

Robin...thanks so much!

James or Jimmy Jim
02-09-2006, 03:26 PM
I like it a lot too Jan. There's just one thing that strikes me as little unusual (just an observation), the darks in the photo don't fit in with the rest of the painting. I would think that some of the shadows should be as dark too.

That's what you get working from a photo (of a painting). :D :D :D

JanB
02-09-2006, 05:28 PM
I think you mean the darks in the postcard of the little Cezanne...are we on the same page?? I think they are as dark IRL as the Darkest flowers up top but I also think the main shadow from the oriental vase should be that dark too, an easy fix, thanks for pointing it out.

James or Jimmy Jim
02-09-2006, 05:52 PM
That's what I meant, it looked a bit out of place on the monitor.