PDA

View Full Version : Still Life, with plant, from a setup

FriendCarol
02-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Well, as you can see, my scanner is really very bad: This is a half-sheet watercolor, and the apparent changes in color the result of stitching 4 scans together! :eek: The plant leaves are greener (and have yellow streaks), and the blue is really that deep reddish blue -- cobalt blue glassware.

Nevertheless, I'd like a critique if anyone has the time. I'm a slow painter and the plant grew (and the setup box moved around a little, too) while I was working on this, so I can't finish the shadows (particularly near the urn) by looking at it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2006/36783-still-s.jpg

What should I do to get this finished? Sorry about the terrible scan -- none of the colors are right. :rolleyes: That shoji screen is of course wood -- mostly burnt sienna, and the urn is raw umber, bs, and a bit of cadmium yellow pale for the brighter areas... Will buy digital camera once I make up my mind (purchasing advice also welcomed!). :D

S.McPherson
02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi Carol, I am not really qualified to offer up any advise on your painting, as I am busy trying to learn all I can! I can offer some first hand experience on what I consider to be a good digital camera. i got a Kodak Easy Share last fall and i really like it. Very user friendly. Has a wonderful lens with a 10 power zoom and a 5.0 mega pixels. Very easy to download your pictures to the computer. This is the first camera I have had that I feel really comfortable with, and I have had many. Check it out. Sandy

JanB
02-08-2006, 10:28 PM
There are lots of elements in this, it's hard to tell about the colors and values because of the scan, but it looks like the left side of the screen should be darker and cooler. The vase with the blue leaf decoration has good defined light and shadow, the other objects would benefit from a similar confident handling.

JamieWG
02-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Carol, I can't really comment on the painting because of the scan, and the way it's broken up the areas. However, I do second Sandy's recommendation of the Kodak Easy Share. I've got one too and find it ever so easy to use. It gives much better color than the Olympus I used to have too.

Jamie

FriendCarol
02-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Jamie and Sandy, thanks very much for the camera recommendation! I had thought to buy (based on PC Magazine online reviews) either a Nikon 50D (dSLR) or HP PhotoSmart R717 (point & shoot)... Now I'll check out Kodak Easy Share! :)

Jan, I think you're right that I need to darken that left side a great deal, particularly near the urn. Maybe I should even gradate the background, as well as add deeper shadows (and put in the missing shadows :rolleyes: ). Thanks. :)

In future I'm only going to start still-life paintings on Fridays, after my home health aide leaves. That will give me three days to get it drawn and painted without moving the setup. (She is much larger than I am, and can't squeeze past my taboret when the setup box is on it!)

JamieWG
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Carol, my husband has a Nikon Coolpix 5700. It's a great camera. Pics are so incredibly sharp and color is amazing. BUT....I find it a real PITA to use. If you really want great pics, I'd say go with the Nikon. If you want a good point-and-shoot, the Kodak. :)

Jamie