PDA

View Full Version : medium for painting

captain bravo
02-11-2002, 08:13 PM
seeing the discussion on linseed oil brings up something i would like to ask. as a sign painter years ago i used Penetrol in paints for billboards. as of late i used some as a medium for glazes and fine work, but was told it would yellow really bad. any of you had experience with Penetrol???

Leopoldo1
02-11-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by captain bravo
seeing the discussion on linseed oil brings up something i would like to ask. as a sign painter years ago i used Penetrol in paints for billboards. as of late i used some as a medium for glazes and fine work, but was told it would yellow really bad. any of you had experience with Penetrol???

Never heard of it! What is it? At a garge sale a couple of years back I bought a wonderful old box that belonged to a old sign painter filled with all his tools. Wonderful assortment of brushes, the squirrel hair kind and neat tools. Different today with vinyl computer generated letters, etc! It was kind of eery! I kind of felt guilty going through this great box of stuff! :oL

captain bravo
02-11-2002, 09:26 PM
penetrol is a brand name of a mixture that was designed to make paint flow smoother in hot weather and on rough surfaces. i believe it's linseed oil based and is very much like a medium that is sold as damar medium, etc.

guillot
02-11-2002, 11:48 PM
Can you tell us what it is made of ? I used to do some signs many years ago and I know that the company I worked for used Penetrol. But I can't remember what the ingredients were.

Tina

sandokan
02-12-2002, 07:07 AM
rotfl!
I'm thinking it's a joke!!!
Penetrol...
:D

captain bravo
02-12-2002, 10:15 AM
i have a can sitting next to me as we speak. the ingredients are not listed as it is probably a " secret recipe" . i've used it as a glazing medium and for liner brush work and it works great. so until i see some yellowing, i'll probably continue. it got it at Home Depot...paint dept.

paintfool
02-12-2002, 09:59 PM
I would be concerned about yellowing. I am very suspicioius of materials with no ingredients listed in them. I do not know what this stuff is or even what it's suggested usage is but just because you see no yellowing at this time does not necessarily mean that it will not occur. There are many other things that can go wrong as well. It's just so hard to make assesments without some idea of what the product is. There are so many great products on the market that can be used in the way that you are using this one that i have to ask... why this? If you are looking for cost effective products you might want to consider that you get what you pay for and your work will reflect that. It would be a shame for you to sell a painting and have one ticked of client call you in a year because the piece is falling apart.
Cheryl

captain bravo
02-13-2002, 10:44 AM
to paintfool...the cost factor is not a consideration. this product is not " cheap". i used it years ago when i used to paint billboards. here in vegas, because of the heat it was touted to make paint flow easier onto the hot panels of the board. it works great. i just started oil painting in feb of 2001 and one of the first lessons was a recipe for medium. this stuff works and acts just like a glazing or mixing medium, so i assumed that it was linseed oil based. i am really surprised that i seem to be the only one that's ever used it or heard of it. anyway, thanks for all the input, later......bravo

paintfool
02-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Captain, please hit the 'reply' button rather than the 'new thread' button when continuing this conversation. This way it'll all be under one thread instead of a new thread for each answer. And welcome to WC!, by the way. :)
Cheryl

captain bravo
02-13-2002, 12:01 PM
thanks, maybe i'll get the hang of this soon. this is the GREATEST website if ever found. it's incredible how much help and information is on here...thanks again....bravo

paintfool
02-13-2002, 12:07 PM
yeah.... :)

G.L. Hoff
02-13-2002, 12:29 PM
i used it years ago when i used to paint billboards. here in vegas, because of the heat it was touted to make paint flow easier onto the hot panels of the board.

Interesting...oil paint (at least the brands I use) flow better when warm. If you warm your palette on, say, a small food warmer set on low, and use the warm paint, it flows much better. It's an old trick. Were you using oil-based paints on billboards? Seems like you'd have used something like outdoor latex-based paint or something...can you elaborate? I'm curious.

And welcome.

Regards

captain bravo
02-13-2002, 12:42 PM
g.l....yeah we used a lettering enamel, oil based and the brushes would literally stick to the hot metal panels sometime. the penetrol was great in the shop also when lettering on plex or windows....i guess when you're talking about a 48' x 14' billboard seen from 100 yards in a moving car, the yellowing factor was not a biggie...thanks for the response....bravo

G.L. Hoff
02-14-2002, 10:45 AM
g.l....yeah we used a lettering enamel, oil based and the brushes would literally stick to the hot metal panels

Wow...clearly much different composition than artist-quality oil paint. And yes, I'm sure that yellowing wouldn't be an issue because of distance and also because signs aren't intended to last more than a few dozen years at most...

Regards

paintfool
02-14-2002, 12:20 PM
I've emailed the Flood company, asking about the ingredients of Penetrol. I'll let you know if the reply.
Cheryl

Scott Methvin
02-14-2002, 06:06 PM
Linseed oil will never yellow outside, anyway.

bri
02-14-2002, 07:57 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

sounds naughty to me!

sorry, but i am still a recovering sober-person (not a recovering and sober person)

captain bravo
02-15-2002, 10:39 AM
cute!!!

vallarta
02-16-2002, 04:52 PM
Penatrol...is an ingrediant in my medium mix.

I use 1/3 turp or paint thinner
1/6lindseed oil
1/6 homemade stand oil
1/3 Penatrol
and then add colbalt dryer.

It has never yellowed on me.

vallarta

captain bravo
02-17-2002, 03:12 PM
god bless you vallarta, i was beginning to think i had dreamed it myself.....bravo

G.L. Hoff
02-17-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by vallarta
...homemade stand oil...

Didn't know you could make it very easily...how about sharing the procedure?