PDA

View Full Version : Caesar. (a Lion Portrait) in Pastel

John B
02-06-2006, 11:34 AM
I managed to sit down for one and a half hours, undisturbed, and decided to try my hand at an animal portrait. So I painted this fine fellow.

I wanted to work fast and try and keep it painterly not worrying too much about detail as much as colour and impact. I have some old Ingres paper, I usually use it for oil pastel, lying around so I cut myself a nice large piece and worked on the smooth side, very thin paper with little tooth.

Working on this paper forced me to work fast and sparingly trying to get the colour and texture right fist time, blending on this paper is almost impossible; it just wipes the pastel off.

I think I have about got what I was looking for now, in the real life painting he looks quite regal and spectacular, like true royalty. I also think he looks quite wise and slightly aloof.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2006/55768-Caesar.jpg

Pastel on Dark Blue Ingres Paper, 13"x17"

Kindest regards

John

RCrook
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I really like this! He looks so grand and especially against the black background, he reminds me of the Lion King.

SeldomSassy
02-06-2006, 02:27 PM
I love the impact of this! It gorgeous, and I have much respect for anyone who can do pastels. The only thing that jumps out at me is that his face seems alittle twisted. The angle of the nose is one direction and the angle of the eyes is the other, but other than that FABULOUS! Very dramatic!

-Emily

jody007
02-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I love everything about it! Beautiful work!

Jody

FaeLynn
02-07-2006, 09:30 AM
nicely done!

cyber_holic
02-08-2006, 01:53 PM
WOW! This is beautiful!