PDA

View Full Version : encaustic #4

corfublue
02-06-2006, 11:39 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-06-2006/58344_Clipboard01encausticwc.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: encaustic #4
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Other
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the last encaustic I did in my encaustic class.
We leaned the hot wax and the cold wax technique,
the cold wax paintings are still at school. Funny enough, the cold wax takes a very long time to dry, I could not take it on the metro.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is a medium that I plan to add to my paintings for certain effects. I like how it blurres out areas and I find the effect of water is very nice too.
But I don't think I plan on doing encaustic paintings from start to finish.
any comments and crits......
Valerie

Constellation
02-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Valerie.... This is such an exciting explosive painting.... I really have enjoyed it. It seems to me that encaustic would be a fun medium but limited in a sense.... but the colors sure are beautiful and fresh.... Donna

vargamari
02-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Valerie, welcome in the world of encaustic! It is powerful and exciting.
You have to keep them coming...Have you already visited "Our" site:
www.encaustic-international.com ?
I don't agree with Donna, with experience encaustic offers no limit in the creative possibilities.
Best wishes,

corfublue
02-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks so much for the link.
I will use it as an educational tool for sure. I just went out and bought the heating element....my blow dryer works for now, but I kinda need it for my hair.....lol.
Today I started a largeer format...36x48 in acrylic. I plan on using the encaustic in some locations on the painting.
is there anything faux-pas about putting a layer of clear wax ( bleached wax,with no pigment) on the painting as a......kinda vasaline like gloss?!?!?
I realy want this to grow into my paintings....!?
Valerie

gurleygirl
02-06-2006, 03:47 PM
This is really beautiful!!
Tracey

tree519
02-06-2006, 05:17 PM
I really like your painting. I think it is so exuberent.
I painted extensively in encaustic years ago and have recently started up again with a new less toxic recipe.
I just finished reading a really good book called The Art of Encaustic Painting by Joanne Mattera which suggests that acrylic and beeswax are not compatable. The author goes on to explain on page 101 that you cannot put acrylics into the wax and further she says that acrylic is not is not absorbent enough to paint wax on top of. I will say to you however that i was shocked to read that she says that it will not stick to acrylic gesso since i have several paintings hanging in my home that have been perfectly stable for 15 years. (?)
Can't wait to see more.:)

corfublue
02-06-2006, 06:40 PM
I really like your painting. I think it is so exuberent.
I painted extensively in encaustic years ago and have recently started up again with a new less toxic recipe.
I just finished reading a really good book called The Art of Encaustic Painting by Joanne Mattera which suggests that acrylic and beeswax are not compatable. The author goes on to explain on page 101 that you cannot put acrylics into the wax and further she says that acrylic is not is not absorbent enough to paint wax on top of. I will say to you however that i was shocked to read that she says that it will not stick to acrylic gesso since i have several paintings hanging in my home that have been perfectly stable for 15 years. (?)
Can't wait to see more.:)

My teacher who's class I took, is at one of the most reputable galleries in Canada. If you are interested I could pm you some relatively non toxic cold wax recepies......
Hot wax is easy, just wax and pigment....pure/powder (wear a mask and prep your wax ahead of time)
If you are to mix media, it would be acrylic paint first, then oil then wax.
Basicly you can't put anything on top of wax...and it is more fatty than oil...in other words the oil would compete for the surface of the painting wil wax.

I would not add paint to the wax, but sand is suposed to be interesting.
I find it such a fascinating media...

tree519
02-06-2006, 08:05 PM
That would be great. Are you using recipes from "Recipes for Artists" (great book by the way)?
I use a hot wax recipe with just wax, dammar crystals for hardness, and pigments. Sometimes,as you say, just wax and pigment is all I use. I use electric fryning pans with small tins for a pallette.
I guess you can add oil paints to wax as long as you don't go over 30% and you might want to "de-oil" the paint a bit by placing it on paper towel for an hour or so.
I can't wait to see what you do next. I'm sure others would agree.:wave:

tree519
02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Sorry, correction, that gre:o at book would be "Formulas for Painters" (not recipes for artists) by Robert massey.
(Must be losing brain cells)

corfublue
02-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I've never used a book yet, I am depending on my teachers recepies. He has done extensive research and gone through hundreds of pounds of wax finding the best ratios.
I have to find where I put the numbers down. i'll let you know as soon as i remember where I put it.....:rolleyes: :o
I knew it's a big ratio for the dry...like one pound wax and the rest (oil, solvant) is like 250ml.....but I'll check to make sure.
The oil a specific type, and the solvant is the one that smells like oranges...
I'll just find the notes.....
Valerie

Corby
02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
I never fail to be astonished at the beauty of the color obtained with this medium! This is an especially beautiful piece. I would like it better if the red globs had petals so as to be flowers, as is they remind me of a spray of blood...

vargamari
02-07-2006, 05:41 AM
May I ask you, who is your teacher there?
regards,

aszurblue
02-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Valerie, WOW,WOW,WOW!! How about a on-line lesson.??

dornberg
02-07-2006, 04:37 PM
some explosive quality would be welcome in the vase and table