PDA

View Full Version : A little souvenir from Mexico

James or Jimmy Jim
02-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I intended to finish this in one session, but ran out of time - Ay carumba! So, it will have to be a WIP. This is a tad further than a block in - lots of things to be fixed ... and painted for the first time.

It's funny how you don't notice drawing errors until you post.

14x11 two hours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2006/33859-PICT0001.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2006/33859-PICT0003.JPG

JamieWG
02-05-2006, 09:27 PM
What a fabulous subject, Jimmy. Do you know what kind of stone that is? You've got a great start with lots of contrast and warm color. Also, your good drawing skills are showing.

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
02-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks Jamie. Marble? I know the colour is a bit off ... there are other forums I could visit to find out. :evil: Maybe not. Pretty damn pathetic.

Katherine T
02-06-2006, 03:43 AM
Jim - one of the things I have found to be a real advantage about posting on here, after you'd got some way in but hadn't finished, was exactly what you've highlighted - sometimes you just can't/don't see the mistakes. And of course, seeing your mistakes before you finish means they won't be there at the end! :)

I find that putting a WIP on the screen is the computerised visual equivalent to getting up and making myself stand way, way, way back from your subject and the painting - and it reminds me to do exactly that - to get up and put my WIP at some distance from me on a regular basis.

How big was your subject?

Wayne Gaudon
02-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Jimmy, as explained to me in my question on getting correct color, (and I'm a believer fully now), color is secondary; if the values are correct you have captured the soul. Great rendering.

James or Jimmy Jim
02-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Katherine, it was about a foot tall. What was interesting was that when I stood back, the angle was completely different. :D I can always fix the drawing if I spend the time on it. I expected to get much further in two hours.

James or Jimmy Jim
02-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Right you are, Wayne. Relative values and temperatures first, and colours last ... for me anyway.

LarrySeiler
02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Jimmy, as explained to me in my question on getting correct color, (and I'm a believer fully now), color is secondary; if the values are correct you have captured the soul. Great rendering.

this is true...

and yet it is possible for the artistic mind to progress to that point where their full conscious consideration may entertain color only...allowing their instinct, their intuition the trust that values will prove right. Color does possess value inherently if you see rightly, mix it rightly and get it down rightly.

I'm not so sure it works the other way. That is, I do not know if the tonal or value conscious minded artist can presume to trust instinct to get color right simply because they have value right, but a color motivated artist that paints masterfully can paint color without having to entertain value...or at least not wrestle with it.

A dark green may or may not have a proper name...but the eye can see it as color (with experience), and in striving to mix the color intuitively arrive at the right value. In mixing it and arriving at it he might well exclaim, "ahh...there, that's the right color!"

On the other hand...focus on the value will not necessarily lead to the right color. It can, yes...following one consideration or step leading INTO another in ordered thinking...but I wouldn't think so as a single consideration.

It might also be a tendency of how one's mind operates...if more left brain..thinking it thru in steps or order...or if more right brained synthesizing it to work out. Convergent or divergent processes...

LarrySeiler
02-06-2006, 10:35 AM
very intriguing subject Jimmy....and well handled...

Robert
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Very nicely done, Jim. Your self crit (the angle, etc.) reminds me of the agony of cast drawing (ugh). I like this a lot better than Ceaser's head or whatnot. Good piece.

James or Jimmy Jim
02-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks Larry. I'm not even half way through the painting yet. :eek:

I hear you about the colour and I agree that if you get the colour right, the value should be smack on too - it's a visual thing. Kevin Macpherson says the same thing.

What I meant though was more along the lines of say Zorn or Scott Christensen, using a limited palette, or even Dan Gerhartz, who admits that he is more tonal in his approach. The colour is there, yet often subdued (in places).

There is a Zorn painting with girls playing on the floor, which is outstanding, yet it has a strong red cast to it. It's believable mainly because of the drawing and the values. It's the same thing with some of his self-portraits.

Still, I can't disagree with what you said about matching the colour, as colours also have inherent values.

James or Jimmy Jim
02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Very nicely done, Jim. Your self crit (the angle, etc.) reminds me of the agony of cast drawing (ugh). I like this a lot better than Ceaser's head or whatnot. Good piece.

Thanks Robert. This is so unfinished, the bottom is just roughed in.

About the angle of the base ... that's the difference between standing at the easel, looking down and to the right, and then shooting it from a little farther back. :D

JamieWG
02-06-2006, 03:35 PM
........ I expected to get much further in two hours.

I always feel like that with still life work. I think it's because we have the luxury of a non-moving light source, and the clock's not running on a 20 minute pose. So, I'm a little more careful and if something's not quite right, I'll redo/fix it. No such thing in plein air! Totally hit 'n run!

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
That's right Jamie. I'll have to make a point of finishing it.