PDA

View Full Version : ebay for me?

El_Elegante
02-11-2002, 11:41 AM
I have not tried selling my work through e-bay. I am thinking of trying to sell some of my old works at a discount there but want to make sure I can get enough to make it worth my while. I don't want to sell my newer stuff, because from what I've seen, I don't think I'll get my asking price. I am going to put up a typical older drawing and would appreciate it if experienced e-bayers would take my poll in an honest maner to help me determine if it is worth trying to sell some of these works on e-bay.

remember please be honest, even if it sounds brutal, otherwise it won't help me. I am not looking for a critique of the work, just whether it will sell on e-bay.

I don't want to tell you what my asking price is so it won't influence any opinions.

Thanks for the help.

This example drawing is typical of my work 8 years ago. I have about 100 drawings of similar style and scope. this is about 18"x24" charcoal and pastel on brown shipping paper.

CathyD
02-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Hi El,
It is great that you have a bunch of your old art to sell. Ebay is quite addictive once you start selling! This is a good size piece. Are you going to mat or frame it? Or just sell as is? The type of paper (now this is just my humble opinion) may be a negative factor in getting a higher price. No critism meant, paper type is something I consider important.

In another discussion Salmon was saying that non traditional art seemed to sell well on ebay, so you could do very well with this!! I would take a look at other auctions that have similiar styles of art and see where they start their minimum bid. You are asking what this particular painting would sell for.... well that is hard to say, because it just depends on if more than one person bids on it. I would say start your minimum bid low. Try another at a higher bid. I think you are going to have to experiment with your minimum bid pricing.
Good luck to you!
Cathy :cat:

CarlyHardy
02-11-2002, 10:34 PM
If you're really interested in finding out what this would sell for, then list it on ebay starting at a low bid, but put a reserve (the lowest amount you would be willing to sell for) on the painting. Then see how the bidding goes.

Ebay can be very unpredictable when it comes to what something will sell for. There are buyers out there who will pay hundreds of dollars for one painting and ten for another...and the two may be really similar in subject and style. Your poll is subjective to a group of artists who would consider brown wrapping paper a drawback for the art. It's definitely not archival! However, there are some outsider artists on ebay who paint on cardboard boxes and they sell really well. Use outsider art in a search and see what you come up with.

I bought art that was done on a fed ex mailing envelope one time! Call me crazy....but I love it!
carly

El_Elegante
02-12-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by CHClements

I bought art that was done on a fed ex mailing envelope one time! Call me crazy....but I love it!
carly

I used to draw on anything I could find at the time, including napkins, walls, pants, hands, shoes, dirt, and any scrap of paper i could find. This is the only surviving drawing I have on really bizare surface. I know some people have saved a few here and there, but they are lost to me. I didn't do it to be cute, I did it out of desparation, getting stuck places with no pens or pastels, and nothing to draw on.

I don't consider myself an "outside artist" but I bet this would meet the difinition. I am not too concerned about my choice of non-archival paper. I have some drawings framed that have been passed down through my family for 200 years, they still look ok, but browned. If I get famous enough to have my work up 200 years from now, they will seal and archive it somehow.

Thanks for the input... I'll let some more people vote and respond before i make a decision.

gjwillis
03-02-2002, 02:05 PM
El,

Call me weird but I really like the shape of that last piece it's very original. Is that a paper bag? Why don't you try selling that to. Or make something similar to it, maybe more archival. I'm just crazy about the handle creating a natural place for it to be hung. Kind of like hang bags to go on the wall instead of hand bags. I don't know this was just brainstorm.. If you don't decide to go with my idea can I do it?

cagathoc
06-25-2002, 08:30 AM
El,

Talk to Kelly - he has been selling his smaller outsider art pieces on eBay for a little while now. He could give you details about that market.

Here's a link to his "about me" page at eBay:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kellymoore.net/

El_Elegante
06-25-2002, 10:13 PM
I think i've put the issue to rest. I listed 3 items and sold one. not a bad start. I only listed old studies and sketches. I think I may from time to time list similar items, but I don't think it is a good venue for my better newer works.. I just don't get the impression I can get enough for them to make it worth my while. Thanks for all the input.