PDA

View Full Version : Update: On my desk - clementine and ammonite with Graphitint pencils... WIP sort of

pinkrybns
02-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I started this last night... still working on it.... hope to finish it in the next few nights.

I set it on top of a small sketchbook in the same place as I put everything I draw from life on my desk... work at night so the lamp light is the same, casts the same shadows, etc.

This is being done with Derwent Graphitints and I am adding water in places to blend them out.

I bought the small ammonite in Dorset, UK, last summer - it's just a small one.
So is this little drawing/painting..whatever you want to call it...
4"h x 4"w approx on Lanaquarelle wc paper...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2006/22382-ornage-and-shell-graphi-Web.jpg

C & C welcome.

JamieWG
02-05-2006, 03:58 PM
You mean, I'm going to get to see the Graphitints in action without having to buy them? Wonderful! *pulling up a chair and hitting the 'subscribe' button*

Jamie

pinkrybns
02-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi Jamie,

You know, or maybe you don't, Katherine also works sometimes with Graphitints. Her style is different of course, but she produces some very interesting pieces with them.

I'm glad I can post this here because it isn't really cp's, it isn't really pencil, and I think the watercolor folks might tar & feather me if I posted overthere! LOL I don't look to good in tar & feathers! ...unless they're pink! ;) :D hope I don't get tarred & feathered here! LOL

I'll try not to make you wait too long...post an update tomorrow sometime.
uh-oh suddenly I smell something burning downstairs... hmmm... gotta run 2 flights down!!!! later!

ColorMyWorld
02-05-2006, 05:04 PM
What are Graphitints?

JamieWG
02-05-2006, 05:17 PM
What are Graphitints?

Here ya go:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz220/39/

:D

Judy, surely these are "colored pencils" in the most literal sense!!!

Jamie

pinkrybns
02-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Judy, surely these are "colored pencils" in the most literal sense!!!

JamieWell.. literally perhaps, but they don't really work the same in a classical colored pencil sense, and when you add water, well it becomes a whole different ballgame....just my opinion though. I'll let others decided whatever they want. I'm not a member of either of the 2 cp societies..so doesn't really matter to me. Graphitints are just another thing that leaves an interesting, imo, mark :) and I like using them. Didn't think I would, to be honest, but they have a certain warm feeling I like.

Hi ColorMyWorld (Ann)... if you want to see someone who uses these in a really interesting fashion, check out this link by Glenspey(Gayle) in the CP forum. She combines them with traditional colored pencils in her dog portraits.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276528

House didn't burn down! lol, but somebody burnt some toast!!

pinkrybns
02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Update....more color, lots more... not so sure about this one. :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2006/22382-amonnite-update1-web.jpg

And just to do something else, I had a bite out of a cookie, so I thought hmmm I'll draw it too. :D this is on a hotpress Lanaquarelle paper... not too good for lifting color or stains, but still nice with the Graphitints.
..about 4"h x 5.5"w...actually a wee bigger, but it's metric ...don't ask me, I can't do metric.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2006/22382-Stroopkoekweb.jpg

C&C welcome

JamieWG
02-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Wow, Judy, I am loving the effect of these with the water! OMG! I can see what you mean about them changing completely. That ammonite looks so hard to render. Is it as difficult as it appears?

What is it that's bothering you about it...The crop? I like the crop in an abstract sense, though it does make it a little difficult to identify things.

The second drawing cracks me up. LOVE that effect with the scribbled notes below! heeheehee... Looks like my desk, 'cept that I don't have a cookie. Maybe I need to remedy that. ;)

Jamie

pinkrybns
02-07-2006, 11:40 AM
That ammonite looks so hard to render. Is it as difficult as it appears? Yes it's making me nuts, but then again I picked it! LOL I can't seem to get a really good dark with the Graphitints... and I guess I'm half-way in between using them as pencils or as watercolor. Some of that color I added by wetting a brush and lifitng the color off the pencil point with the wet brush, then applying it to the paper... like a pencil "pan" of watercolor...lol

What is it that's bothering you about it...The crop? I like the crop in an abstract sense, though it does make it a little difficult to identify things. Yeah the crop is a little annoying right now... but I tend to like angles/diagonals in my crops. What do you think? crop more or expand more? I do have a little bit to the viewer's right on the paper.

I think some of the screaming greenish color is bugging me, might go over with something reddish in tone to calm it down...but then again... arrrrgh! :rolleyes: .. and the need for some deeper darks... I might break out my Prismacolor watersoluable graphite pencils for that. You ever tried those? pretty cool too and relatively inexpensive.... here: http://www.dickblick.com/zz204/68/ I bought them in the sets... work similar to the Graphitints, but no color involved. Might be a cool sketching tool for you. :)

And I know, I know, I need to work bigger....probably would solve some problems...but then I'd have to keep an ever shrivelling clememtine on my really crowded desk for too long...lol

The second drawing cracks me up. LOVE that effect with the scribbled notes below! heeheehee... Looks like my desk, 'cept that I don't have a cookie. Maybe I need to remedy that. ;)

Jamie heh heh! :D :D that's a list of oil colors from a palette suggestion, I am trying to match them in CP's...LOL hopeless probably, but maybe I can! and the cookie is (I mean "was" now) good! LOL

thanks for looking in Jamie.

ChuckL
02-07-2006, 08:32 PM
These look great...'specially the cookie. I've never been a big color pencil fan, but the look of these is really appealing.. think I'm gonna have to add a set of graphitints to my next DickBlick order.
Thanks
.....chuck

pinkrybns
02-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks Chuck.

I truly didn't think I would like the Graphitints, but the more I fiddle with them, I do! They really don't work like colored pencils, in my opinion...add water and they're more like watercolors. The darks are a problem though, tend to get a strange film of the graphite on top, but you can go over the area (once it has dried) with the dry pencil again.

I think my scans are a little on the dark side actually..not sure if you can see the graphite film on the top of the draks...but it's there in places. One thing that surprised me was the white pencil in the set of 24....that seems to work well, even on top of darks....oops I'm rambling about media, sorry!

If/when you or Jamie get some, I'll be interested to see what you come up with. :)

JamieWG
02-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Hmmmm.....Judy, I'm always bothered by graphite darks. That's one of the reasons why I like to use a Prismacolor black when sketching. Graphite never seems to get darker than mid-value and gets that filmy/shiny look instead of going to the darkest dark. *sigh* But being able to erase does have benefits. LOL

Jamie