PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Pastel Supplies of All Time

dlake
02-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Just like anything else, we all have fond memories or current of something that just can"t be replaced.
Favorite car, perfume, lipstick, shirt, ect. Something you fondly remember or will never replace.
What I'd like to know is what art or pastel supply is in that category. Favorite set, pencil, paper, easel, ect. You could have had this for only a short time but, have fond memories and find irreplacable.
What is it??
diane

khourianya
02-05-2006, 01:05 PM
My favourite are supply of all time....that would have to be my paper rack. I don't know how i lived without it. Now I can have a ready supply of paper at anytime and have it sorted by type and colour. It is the bestest studio staple ever.

It has given me the storage capacity to really stock up when I find a sale, which is helpful inthe land where Wallis is $20 a sheet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2005/47843-paperrack.jpg

Of course - I could have said pastels, but that paper rack is really amazing.

jmp
02-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I'd have to say my drawing table. My man ( I feel I'm getting too old to say "boyfriend" -sounds silly ) made it in high school when he was thinking about being an architect. It's huge, made entirely from wood (ash) and takes at least 2 people to move it. ( As soon as I can figure out exactly how I want it he's going to make me one of thsoe pastel holders- you know, the wooden ones with the sections for different colors, values.)

Now I have my eye on my fathers old wooden blueprint "drawers"- it's really a piece of furniture, with the big wide shallow drawers, there is probably a name for it but who knows...

I also love all the great new sanded papers!!!

khourianya
02-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Those blueprint drawers are called flat files. I so wanted a set of them when I happened upon my paper rack.

(The pastel box with the sections is probably a close second-fave of mine. The photos are in the article I wrote and it is a fabulous addition to any studio :) )

jmp
02-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Wallis is $20 dollars a sheet in Canda?? Yikes!!!!

Now if I had that paper rack, i wouldn't be able to stop until it was full- of course you could use it to store finished works safely, too, no??

dlake
02-05-2006, 02:51 PM
You guys have some really cool things. A paper rack is a great thing and I dream of a drafting table - no room.
diane

jmp
02-05-2006, 03:26 PM
don't feel bad diane- I don't have that much room. When i first got the table we had a huge living room, overlooking the water, had the table right next to the sliding glass doors- awesome. Now we have a much smaller place ( its temporary till we build our dream home ) and I am much more crowded. Just get rid of some furniture and MAKE ROOM!

khourianya
02-05-2006, 03:29 PM
I suppose it could be used to store finished works, but where's the fun in that? I usually prepare all of my work to ship, if necessary. So foamcore with glassine on top and another piece of foamcore to complete the "sandwich" then I store those in bankers boxes.

I, do, however use the rack for everything from wallis to velour to colourfix to watercolour paper to transfer paper to illustration board to canvas boards so it is pretty full just with those.

Khadres
02-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Well, I'm rather attached to MOST of my art "stuff", of course, but I would have to say this is my fave find, so far. A friend found these flat files in a flea market mall and I love, love, love it. Thought I'd never EVER fill it up, but ... well, I have! LOL

The other photo shows my other fave...my Classic Dulce easel. After years of painting on wobbly old tripod easels, this one's a dream of simplicity, stability, and style!

jmp
02-05-2006, 05:32 PM
sooz-
what kind of pastels are those in the back under the window? By the way, I always get a little laugh looking at your "bay window gang"

The flat files are the same thing my father, who was an engineer, has, Right now they are sitting in his garage collecting dust but I'll get them eventually.
Mine aren't as tall though...

Bringer
02-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi,

Time passes and minds change.....
So, I'll type what has helped alot in different stages :

My easel
Colourfix
Sennelier 80 halfs set
Colourshaper taper point
Schleicher & Schuell velour paper

But if I had to choose one it would be the easel

Regards,

Josť

chewie
02-05-2006, 07:04 PM
mine would be the room i call my studio--all the stuff in it is certainly grand and i'd be lost without any of it, but the room for it all!! i dont' have to put stuff away, i can play my own music, can experiement without prying eyes, i can read, relax, and i dont' even hafta clean it!! i have gone thru several spaces, and this one is by far the best. and until the day my hubby and kids agree that the living room would be ok for my art stuff, i'll be thankful for my studio made of barnwood! i think next may be my camera, computer, and easel.

Khadres
02-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Chewie, you are so right to value your own studio space. I HAD that til the youngest moved back in and is now sharing my studio with me, which really means her stuff is everywhere. sighhhhhhhh

Khadres
02-05-2006, 09:23 PM
sooz-
what kind of pastels are those in the back under the window? By the way, I always get a little laugh looking at your "bay window gang"

The flat files are the same thing my father, who was an engineer, has, Right now they are sitting in his garage collecting dust but I'll get them eventually.
Mine aren't as tall though...

Do you mean the chart or the pastel sticks?
The sticks in the tray thingie are my Polychromos and NuPastels, the chart is for the 85 green set by Terry Ludwig.
And yep, you'll really love your Dad's flat files when you finally have room for them. I wouldnt' trade mine for anything and could never have afforded new ones which aren't actually made nearly as well as the old ones were!

K Taylor-Green
02-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Jiminy, Sooze!! And I thought I had a lot of pastels! Guess I need to buy more!

We have the same easel, and while I love it for larger works, I'd be lost without my drawing table.
And I have to agree with Chewie, my own space!

fortysomething
02-06-2006, 06:54 AM
My most favorite thing in the studio is my Travelling Studio Pastel Box (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/47843/623/). :D :cool:

jmp
02-06-2006, 09:47 AM
thankyou Lisa B-
I just checked out your box plans, My man is a carpenter and I want him to build me one a bit smaller- the thing is, I'd like to build one with a tripod mount on the bottom so I can take it out in the field...I have no idea where I can get one, possibly a camera place? Anyone have one of those?

dlake
02-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Lisa, I love your pastel box. It's wonderful.
diane

Kathryn Wilson
02-06-2006, 10:35 AM
My favorite has to be my studio - it made a world of difference for me. My own space, my own quiet -

Although I would love to have those flat files - :)

fortysomething
02-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Ohhh Kyle! That is wonderful! Sublime!! Heaven!!! Will you adopt me?

Diane and jmp, the box was designed by Cori Nicholls, and the link takes you to her original article. My husband did the sawing and nailing, and I did the staining and glueing of the foam. He's going to hate me when I show him Kyle's studio...

Tatijana
02-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Kyle - Your studio is just grand. How are the winters in NorthCarolina, or do you move back into the house for a couple of months?
tj

Kathryn Wilson
02-06-2006, 11:02 AM
tj - that has continued to be a problem, until I found Open Studio at the local art center. So I can paint OP's in the house and pastels at the center. We should be getting the studio insulated this year, so that will help on all but the very most cold days and the hottest days.

Tatijana
02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
kyle-
Can you see your studio from a window in your house? I think it would be a great subject for op's. If you decide to do that, make sure to post it here in pastel talk, so all of us here can see it! I could see it as the center and/or background for many paintings!
tj

dlake
02-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Kyle,
would you be willing to send your studio to illinois??? I so love it. If I had something like that it would do double duty. Studio and potting shed!! lol.
diane

Kathryn Wilson
02-06-2006, 12:15 PM
kyle-
Can you see your studio from a window in your house? I think it would be a great subject for op's. If you decide to do that, make sure to post it here in pastel talk, so all of us here can see it! I could see it as the center and/or background for many paintings!
tj

I sure can - and it sits on a pond too. ummm . . . but can't see the studio and pond together from the house. Might have to be a plein air with a different viewpoint.

HarvestMoon
02-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Cori- you have been holding out on us- what a paper rack!!! what is it really? guess I should actually read the thread.... my favorite pastel supply is my easel I guess- don't remember what it is- but the one that is in the studio buried by stuff....ahhh Sooz- everytime you show those big old oak paper cabs- wow- I have a super big, super cool drafting table- have had it since 1982 or so.... wonderful thing.... my husband has his silly workstations on it.... darn - may have to repo it from him....and make room- and all that other stuff...
LInda

khourianya
02-06-2006, 01:22 PM
lol Linda - I've had it about 6 months and I've shared it in a few threads but perhaps not prominently here.

it is actually a school drying rack - the kind you would have in an elementary school art classroom to allow student artwork to dry. It has 40 individual trays and they lift up slightly to provide easier access.

I got a real steal on it too - only $20. I was at this little 2nd hand furniture charity store and asked if they ever got them in and they had just had one donated that morning. It wasn't even int he store yet. I had to run next door to check it out on the loading dock of the building there :D But I ran right back - handed her the money and loaded it in my car. A bit of research on it showed me that it was worth about $600 new from a school supplies store.

It also has nice heavy duty wheels on it so I can move it around. I often use it as a camera stand for VPON because it gets my webcam up high enough to get a good vantage point.

Tatijana
02-06-2006, 01:24 PM
kyle-
i'm sure that you could use artisic license :D and put the 2 together.
TJ

Khadres
02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I too am very covetous of Kyle's little art cottage! Just big enough for one! No room for "sharing"! Yay!

Kathryn Wilson
02-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Sooz - (shush) - I bought my hubby a workshop just to keep him out of my studio - LOL

Khadres
02-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Sooz - (shush) - I bought my hubby a workshop just to keep him out of my studio - LOL

Well, that's a good solution! My hubby no longer works on anything but his tv watchin' and computing, so he doesn't really need a workshop per se and he has a "den" of his own, so it's really just Mel that cramps my style. I suppose she'll be gone soon enough tho and I do like a bit of company...at least she's not the type who hangs over your shoulder non stop, but she IS handy for moving things and whatnot, so I guess I can let her use a table down there....if only her stuff didn't migrate so much! :eek:

KJSCL
02-06-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't know what my favorite pastel supply is, but I most certainly like Kat's studio, Sooz's flat files and Cori's paper rack! I'm surprised tho that no one mentioned their Lowe's Toolchest yet!

HarvestMoon
02-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Ow- how did I miss Kyle's little art cottage? Heck, I would MOVE IN THERE.... Sooz- send Mel to keep my 14 year old at bay..... Cori- how do you do it???? I need to clean up the studio- again- and re-possess the drafting table from my husband and his computers.... then- oh, what the heck- it would only end up piled with stuff like everything else!!!
Linda

Khadres
02-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, I'm TRYING to create space to DO something in the studio, but it's tough going! I have both new trays full and ready to use, tho, which is nice. Can't wait to start dustin'! And I DON'T mean with Pledge!

dlake
02-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah you do, sooz. We know you are a closet enddust fan and that all those remarks about pastel dust is just a cover.
diane

Tatijana
02-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Sooz- if you had a cottage like Kyle's wouldn't it need a bay window for the 4legged friends?
I'd put in a seperate entry foyer(doggie doors) for my flower-smelling buddy! and a big pillow for the old one.
And at the moment I havent been at this long enough to know what my favorite is...
tj

watergirl
02-07-2006, 01:01 AM
my favorite accessory-
Fuji is portable, furry, never critical and always ready to stop for a nap or a snack!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2006/43083-fujipainterhelper.JPG

Khadres
02-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Well, I didn't know we were counting furkind! Of COURSE I can't begin to think about being creative without at least one or two of my bunch on hand to lend moral support! Hence all the doggie pillows under the tables!

As far as Endust goes, they haven't yet invented anything, including the Swiffer stuff, that can even stand half a chance at the dust and dander in this household. We watch those commercials where the gal sticks this sticky doodad on the end of this gizmo and goes gliding around her house with gleeful abandon before throwing the sticky in the trash and admiring her pristine home....it's good for a long hoot and belly laugh complete with whistles and jeers of derision...even the dogs themselves get a chuckle out of that one! We use a shop vac around here so we only have to empty the container once a go and follow up with a Dyson which STILL picks up pounds of pure grit with each pass. I will pit the dust in this house against the Sahara ANY day!

dlake
02-07-2006, 10:47 AM
molly, I love your studio. Especially this time of year. aHHHH...if only we had weather like yours.
Sooz, sounds like my house. I love to see these perfect homes and think, okay, where did they hide the junk??? I suppose that's why family rooms are so popular. Maybe we will have do some additions and include one of those..lol.

HarvestMoon
02-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Dianne and Sooz- lets all add on a big room- so we can open the door- toss things in, and close it- rapidly....

Sooz- TJ you would have Kat's cottage completely FILLED with DAWGS... would not be able to lift a pastel stick... my toes are way too chilly this morning to venture onto the front porch studio...labs, cats, or not...
Linda

MChesleyJohnson
02-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I'd have to say I love ALL my pastel supplies -- especially the juicy soft dark ones. But probably the one thing I enjoy the most is the studio. It's a one-car garage we converted. Here is a panoramic view of it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2006/3644-mcj_studio2_700.jpg

watergirl
02-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Cori, great find on your drying rack! And to have space for it is even better!
I dream of finding an old flat file at a garage sale! Hah! But I would need room for that too!

We are renting this house til mid April and I am only allowed to pastel on the lanai-I know it is tough but someone has to do it! I am thinking of all of you in the cold and the damp and the dark...more than you know!

My dog Fuji has been my good friend under my easel for many years. She is not doing well today- a bad day, perhaps tommorrow will be better. I will miss her physical presence when she is gone. I am sure you feel the same way about your pet friends.

Love your little building Kat! Trying to figure out how to take over the space above the garage when we get back home-It's hubby's office/TV room now but perhaps he would share? and I could eventually take over?

Wheezard! How about a blow-up? Wow, does that look great!

Khadres
02-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Wowee, Wheez! Windows on BOTH sides, no less! That's a really nice space! I've been drooling over single level houses in southern climes lately and saw one with a huge loft room the whole size of a double garage....now I could LIVE with that....add a couple skylights and a good, no-stain floor and have at it! Of course, that would mean stairs again....arghhhh

Molly, be sure and pat Fuji for me! Bless her heart, she's such a purty girl!

michellej
02-07-2006, 06:33 PM
hi,
the corner of mt bedroom that i use as my studio space, the very first easel I

ever had made for me by my father:) ; even though I have a nice french easel now, I still love my first and the little wheel rack that I have all my paints and brushes on.

Of course I can't forget the new brush bin that i bought to hold all my brushes on.

michellej
02-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Whoa!!! get a load of that studio!!! Can I have it?:)

dlake
02-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Wheeze, I so envy your studio that I'm chewing through my jacket. lol. It looks so beautiful, airy and dreamy. I wonder what a lovely place like yours would be like on a cloudy day up here in siberia during the winter? I can always dream. sigh.
diane
p.s. I won't dare tell you where I create. Pitiful, cramped and dark.

MChesleyJohnson
02-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Wheezard! How about a blow-up? Wow, does that look great!

Sorry, Molly, it's the only photo I've got like that. The pan makes the studio look bigger than it is. It's 14x22.

We think we have the house -- and studio -- under contract. The next studio will be an RV.

watergirl
02-08-2006, 10:47 AM
aaah! Good idea! But what things are you looking for? Guess this is a major boomer issue...

Kathryn Wilson
02-09-2006, 09:12 AM
We are getting off topic here - anyone want to start a thread about traveling and doing art at the same time. I can see many pros and cons - I would love to hear from those who have tried it.

Going to start two new threads continuing these discussions.

dlake
02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I always wait till it is impossible to get stuff, like hard pastels. nubbins before I restocked. Well, my homemade easel was good for painting but, impossible for pastels. I get the sense that people have a personal thing with thier easels-like with cars.
So, I finally ordered an easel yesterday and hoping it is a good choice for me. If it is, I suspect this will be my fondly thought of art supply. Keeping fingers crossed.
diane