PDA

View Full Version : Cuppa Tea?

minihorse
02-05-2006, 10:24 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-05-2006/56200_teapotguy-1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Cuppa Tea?
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10x13
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Another in my series from Kings Landing Historical Settlement, NB. I'm a little uneasy about the balance in this painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Fresh eyes please..Is it too weighted to the left? Anything else...

vargamari
02-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Very well painted, I like the whole scene very much. Though you feel it well, it is too much objects in the left side, so would be the balance better to put all the dishes to the right. I think the towels are hanging inthe correct place.
High skill in watercolour.

Best wishes,

Constellation
02-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Minihorse..... I think it is a little heavy on the left.... The pots are painted beautifully... especially those above that are reflecting the fire... beautifully done! Would adding a gun rack or guns to the right... or a chair help the composition.... being w/c it will be difficult at this time to do much unless it's something dark... have you thought about cropping? It's really well done and seems a shame to change a thing at this point.... good job! Donna

bocote
02-05-2006, 02:30 PM
it is a little left strong, but not real bad and I'm fine with the left - right composition, but there are lots of horizontal and verticles that are going to make any composition hard to work with.

Its a great painting though and has a nice appeal.

have fun,

A Few Pigments
02-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Degas was very good at compositions like this. If you havenít studied his work Iíd highly recommend it as a way to learn more about this kind of composition. I hope the links below will be of help to you.

Unlocking Degas' Tub http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125650

Masters of Pastels Ė December 2004 http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233729

Master of the Month #20 August 2005 (Degas) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284185

Rasta_PopSiCLeS
02-05-2006, 07:15 PM
This is a great piece, i would imagine water colors are a bit harder to work with, Very Cool!!

-Andrew-

Corby
02-05-2006, 11:56 PM
My comment has not so much to do with the mechanics of the picture but the reality of it. Would they actually have put a runner across the front of the fireplace so close to the fire?

Lobster Alla Prima
02-06-2006, 12:58 AM
First I'm impressed by the extreme detail while working in watercolor, then I'm amazed you pulled that off on a 10x13. Wow.

It's a historical piece and I'm not sure how far back in time but I'm wondering if the room would be that bright? Colonial time probably wouldn't be unless it was daylight with lots of windows.

Great great job.

L Jonte
02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
My comment has not so much to do with the mechanics of the picture but the reality of it. Would they actually have put a runner across the front of the fireplace so close to the fire?

I agree, and I would also submit that the lighting is overall, a bit too bright. Houses of that era were usually quite dark inside. But since you have the light source (an open door?) coming from the left of the piece, you can use that to better balance the composition. Longer, more dramatic shadows leading into a much darker right-hand side would do that I think.

Aludien
02-07-2006, 06:44 AM
you could always just darken the shading on the right to give it more balance.

Corby
02-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Their are usually an accumulation of shovels rakes pokers, even brooms and such that accumulate in the day to day use of a fireplace. These would beautifully balance the hanging clothes on the left of the fireplace, and because of their very dark values they would be easily inserted over the brick. Because of their varied shapes they would add interest as well, tieing in with the other dark cooking paraphernalia.

minihorse
02-11-2006, 11:06 AM
What a wonderful helpful collection of feedback - thanks everyone, I am definitely going to add some more ironmongery on the right side!
kathi

Zap
02-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Such a wonderfully well-painted historical painting. I agree with the comments above and it is indicative of the importance of thorough research before beginning an historical work.....or any work for that matter.