PDA

View Full Version : Week #6 Classical Art Cards

Nickel
02-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi everyone! The Classical Art Card Gallery was just updated. Make sure you take a look at all the lovely works of art!!!:D If I miss something, please always let me know.

Now, I hope everyone is ready for week six. I thought maybe a little visual image of our mode of transportation might intrigue your courageous creative spirits.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2006/39040-vasnetsov29magiccarpet.jpg

Do you believe this?

That's right, a Magic Carpet:D

This painting is by Victor Vasnetsov.
The Magic Carpet. 1880. Oil on canvas.
The Art Museum of Nizhniy Novgorod, Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia

Here is a detail of the painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2006/39040-vasnetsov30magiccarpet.jpg

Is this not the coolest painting!!!!:D

Get ready!!! No lifejackets this time! Only those who are brave dare to travel with us! This is a trip like no other! Good luck my journeyers and hold on to your hats! Week 6 starts now!

Nickel, Rose, and Barb :wave:

tyree
02-04-2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2006/65063-Bou1.jpg Wm Bouguereau Au bord du ruisseau 1825-1905....Academic Classical Painter..France...graphite on vellum Strathmore 500 series...tyree

Nickel
02-04-2006, 10:11 PM
She is so sweet Susan! You've been busy! I love her; she is so cute!

PushingPixels
02-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Lovely Susan :)
I started a thread and would love my fellow travelers comments here is the link.. what makes an art peice "Classical"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324809

rosebard
02-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Susan you really captured the look from her! Sweet face indeed. :)

Just to keep myself on track this week, here is my pretty rough block in stage with mostly neutrals and transparent colors. 12'' X 14 '' Oils on stretched canvas. My first study after Louis Aston Knight, son of Daniel Knight.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2006/54461-knightwiblockin.jpg

tyree
02-06-2006, 10:53 AM
rose...beautiful start..love the darks in the front and wonderful reflections in the water....:clap: :wave:

rosebard
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks Tyree. :)

Nickel
02-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Rose, your painting is looking pretty, can't wait to see more color layers! :wave:

Fish<><
02-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Rose - Beautiful! If that is just a "rough block in," I want to see a finished piece. :clap:
Tyree - Great work! I was thinking of doing a study by Bouguereau this week but came across something else. :clap:
Nickel - That is cool! Thanks for sharing that.

I came across an American Sculptor in my journeys this week. Horatio Greenough. It was fascinating to see how he merged historical American figures with a classic Greek look. I was fascinated by the bust of George Washington so here is what happened yesterday and today...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2006/54332-Greenough_wk6.jpg
Horatio Greenough's "George Washington", graphite on cardstock

mauricar
02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2006/71456-Angel.jpg
Opps. I can't find the paper that says who the artist was. I'll be back with the specifics. (My brain is gone on vacation since I started taking the class 33 at D&S)
:rolleyes:

mauricar
02-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Sorry about that. It is called "Winged Figure" By Abbott Thayer 1849-1921.
It is CP on bristol vellum 11x14

Nickel
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Keith nice work, did you give him wooden teeth? hehe! Well it is almost his birthday. Good job!

Hi Midge, nice angel, I like the little baby in your sig line too! Your very creative! Ps, I go on vacation too! :D

:wave: Nickel

Fish<><
02-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Midge - Looks great!
Nickel - Thanks. Carving out those teeth was real tough. And then he wouldn't even show his teeth when he smiled. :)

Fish<><
02-06-2006, 09:42 PM
WOW guys! I was just browsing throught the gallery. I was floored by all the great work in there. Just had to make some sort of comment on that.

This trip is just too much fun! :)

obxladybear
02-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Geesh..I can't believe it is week 6 already.....and that I am actually doing something each week...and also addtional work besides....great motivation here....

Nickel...love the Magic Carpet....felt like hopping right on...are you going to do that as your week 6?

Tyree...your pencil work is great....

Rose...you are doing wonderful on the reflections in the water...I was half expecting a fish to hop up in the middle....:)

Oops..not you, Fish<><, I meant a real fish....btw, your George Washington is wonderfully done....

mauricar, very nice job on the angel...:)...

Ok...so now below is my Week #6:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2006/30099-week-6.JPG

oops....forgot that little butt thingy....

Nickel
02-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Charlene your nude is great! Really good control of the lines. Not easy to do and you did it well!!!!

Glad you are working so hard and it is a hoot to know we have done work each week. It will help us to improve or at least I am hoping it will help me to improve and if I am doing something, well, as long as it is not a bad habit I should do better:p

Keith thanks for the comment on the gallery. I like it a lot. I hope that there are not too many images on the first page and that it dosn't take too long to load. I may not put as many images on the next page.

I love that flying carpet Charlene. I never even knew about this artist but it is a really cool painting. I love how there is a bird inside the lantern. I don't have a clue what kind of bird??? I would love to do it. I just keep trying to find a way to travel to keep us all having fun. :D

Has anybody seen Dex, or Sandy? I think they are lost. :crying:

So far, I have been trying to paint Venus for the Valentines. Sometimes, you just don't have an easy time getting good luck which I always need. :D I'd really like to paint the flying carpet. I'll have to look into this artist and study him a bit. I wouldn't want to do him harm by an embrassing study. Of course that can be debated on a few of my studies. But I try to be good.

Keith, did you tell George to say "cheese?":D

tyree
02-07-2006, 08:38 PM
keith..great tonals..wonderful pencil work!!!! midge...very very soulful, quite lovely..charlene,,very soft and quite accurate...well done!!! tyree:clap: :wave:

rosebard
02-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Keith dont pull your hope too high, or anyone else for that matter. You dont know how fast I can ruin a painting. LOLOL But thanks for the encoragement. I hope it looks nice at the end.

Great job Keith. Very nice, looks almost like a sculputure. Well done. :)

Midge is that you at the bottom on your sig line?? Look like a happy girl. :) You doing great on D & S class 33. I read lots of good thing about your portrait. Lovely entry on the journey this week. Her face is so serene. You have capture peace there. Cool. :)

Charlene very nice drawing too. I love how you present your work every week. :)

I worked a bit on mine today. But didnt manage to get a good pic so I gave up.

See you!!!

mauricar
02-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Thank you Rose. I needed that. I had an exerbation this week and the doctor told me to cut back on my stress and activity again. Art helps me to relax mostly. I put my picture there to remind me that there are good days. I enjoy this little weekly group. It helps to keep me focused.

Nickel - good luck on the Venus. She is an interesting study.

Tyree - Thanks so much. I love angels, don't you?

PushingPixels
02-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Midge I love your Angel and it is also so wonderful to see your smiling face at the end of the post! :) :) - wow very striking pose on your Angel - I love it. you had an exer--what? I'll have to look that one up but I know how it is to Have to slow down. Sometimes chronic fatigue wipes me out - it has today in fact so I may not get a thing done this week. Stay well and God bless!

Rose this is my most favorite you have done so far. It looks pretty finished to me maybe a few lighter tones in the forground and of course the jumping fish - the slimy kind with scales he he.

very nice ladybear - I'm sure papabear will like it too!

very noble Washington there Fish good job!

Fish<><
02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Charlene - Great study and excellent sketch. I also like the way you put your work and the reference side by side. If I may ask, what do you use to do that? :)

Nickel - When I saw that bird in there, I thought it was a phoenix. I thought of it being the flame in the lantern. Not sure if that was what the artist was going after or not. And I knew I forgot to tell George something while he sat for me! LOL

mauricar
02-07-2006, 10:31 PM
PushingPixels - it just means that I had a flare up of my degenerative disease of the brain. My ability to get up and walk were temporarily stopped. After a shot and time I can move my legs again, I just can't walk very far. Nothing that hasn't happened before. Thank you for the concern. Sorry that you have Chronic Fatigue. I have a neighbor that has that. It can really stop you for awhile. But remember, we always get back up again. So keep going and don't look back.

rhysyllanfair
02-08-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm curious about why this thread (really all of the art card threads) aren't included in the Projects forum. What distinguishes this from other projects? By the way, The Magic Carpet painting that started this thread is terrific. Thanks, Nickel.

Robert

Nickel
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi Susan how are you?

Hi Rose, how’s the landscape?

Hi Midge, thanks for the good luck wishes on Venus, I really need them! It is so funny, today, my husband said, look, I bought you this book on painting flowers, hehe, well, fine I said, it is a little late since I already tried to paint the flowers in Venus. :eek: I am not doing to well with her. I think she is too flat headed in the original painting. She seems to not have a brain as far as regular proportions go.

Hi Barbara, hope your “art ing” something today. I've not done anything but grocery shop.

Yes Charlene, I am curious like Keith how you do your image each week. It is really neat!

Keith, hehe, I don’t know that I know what a phoenix is, will have to look it up. I’ve heard of them, but I am short on memory today, lol. I did a little search on the artist, he did a few very interesting works. I will need to read more about him. He was Russian. If I find enough info on him, I will put together something for everyone to read and discuss his work in a thread.

Midge your statement really inspires me. “So keep going and don't look back.” Often times something in the past haunts me or I wish something was like it use to be, your words hit home and resonate a spirit of courage that this weary traveler needs to remember and live by. Thanks

Hi Robert, glad you liked the magic carpet painting! Your question about what makes this project different is a good one. About the last week of December I was thinking, lol, but I was thinking. Often I don’t get a round to my art because of other things, either because of personal life or because I am hanging out here or any other thing I can think about doing beside art. I thought of doing something every week, and had heard of art cards, though I still an unsure of all the different types and purposes they are for. Well anyway to make a longer story shorter, I just wanted to invite people to do something with me every week for the next 52 weeks, no matter the size but here in the classical forum. It is kind of my home here at WetCanvas. I guess maybe if you all want to call these threads something else we could talk about a new name.

But anyway, what makes it different is us. You, Midge, Keith, Barbara, Chloe, Rose, Sandy, Dex, Eileen, Margie, Charlene, Susan, and anyone else that want to join our journey. It is really a journey of friendship and discovery of classic art. I am so glad you all are here. There is a warm comfortable and encouraging growth of artistic spirit here. As long as you all are here, I will be here too. I really appreciate each one of you and the different art you have shared in your unique way.

Little paintings are cropping up in all different places here at WetCanvas. I guess anyone could start a project in the system if they want but I like it here. In our journey, the art can be any size work, and it doesn’t have to be a painting per paint, it can be color pencils, pastel, etc. It is a place like you said when you first joined the journey, a place where you can work to improve your skill at portraits. I am glad you are here. I hope you feel at home too!! Now I have a question for you. Did you bring anything to eat? Nickel is hungry! :wave:

obxbear
02-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments....

As far as my presentation goes...I guess I am a little lazy...the first week I made a template in Photoshop and each week I either shrink or enlarge the photos to fit them in...(that way I know they won't be too big for uploading)..and then just change the text information....rename the template for that week (the original template stays the same, ready for next week)...and then it is all set to upload....:D

Oops...this is really obxladybear.....forgot to log out my hubby's account....

rhysyllanfair
02-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, Nickel, I'm about to sit down to Beef Bourguignon and a glass of red wine from Chile. Can you be here by 6:30? I'll save a place at the table.

Robert

obxladybear
02-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Ok...this is better...I feel much more comfortable in my own clothes....

It was a little embarassing being here in hubby's clothes....:o

rosebard
02-08-2006, 07:45 PM
LOLOLOl Charlene. Is your hubby an artist too?? Mine used to draw a bit, since the surgery he lost interesting. Hope he grabs the pencils someday, he has really great eyes.

Oh boy Nickel I worked a bit on it but I guess I have over worked on one session.Very hard reference IU have cossen. Lots of details.

:)

Nickel
02-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Charlene thank you for sharing how you do the images you post. It is interesting. Thanks too for clearing up the names, :eek: so if I say oxb one of you will answer:D :cool:

Thanks Robert for the dinner invite, I know I missed it by now, but had some fresh strawberries from Florida, yummy good. Nice to see sweet fresh fruit back at the market.

Rose, best wishes with the hard work. You will do great, you are a hard worker.

I have to go read some and find some inspiring work to share for this week. :D :wave: Nickel

Nickel
02-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Gee I'd forget my head, I want to let you all know about a wip in the oil forum. It is a good one, check it out, very nice man, How I Paint, A WIP by Visualone http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324849

obxladybear
02-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Rose, I think my hubby is an artist, but he won't admit to it.....he has just recently discovered WC, so now he knows why I spend so much time here...in fact, it is hard to drag him away now...*LOL*....and he has taken up airbrushing and is really good at it...:)

PushingPixels
02-08-2006, 09:44 PM
well I finally made it just in the Nick of time hey nickel :) :)
Actually did this one a while back but decided on another piece instead.
Once Thursday arives I'm done for. Nickel thanks for the link ...dosen't it just make you sad when great works of art disapear.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2006/44004-brugel01.jpg

PushingPixels
02-08-2006, 09:53 PM
http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/birdesig.html

here is a link on the bird he he he I didn't even see that bird Fish...guess I need new glasses!

Nickel
02-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the link to the phonix Barbara, the way they describe the myth would be a good challenge to paint. :p I know here she goes again. :p Yes, I am sad that people steal art. In the Stewart Gardner Museum they keep the empty frames hanging in there place waiting for the art to return. I think that is sweet. It really makes a statement.

Now to your entry this week. Did you do all four of these? You have been busy!!!! If i stopped by Thursday, well I don't get going till Wednesday night:D :eek: How did you do these? :D They are all great!!!!

Charlene there is a Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl airbrush here, I will have to look for her so you can show your husband. :D

Nickel
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Ok here is the airbrushed Vermeer. Since search is still down until 11 or so thought I'd just put the link in here. :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310887

PushingPixels
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
no the two small color ones by Brugel are scanned.

I did the sketches but I will take that as a compliment. :)

Nickel
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
no the two small color ones by Brugel are scanned.

I did the sketches but I will take that as a compliment. :)

Cool you should be complimented, your good! :clap: :clap: :clap:

rhysyllanfair
02-10-2006, 12:33 PM
I tried to post this earlier but it doesn't seem to have gone through. Trying again. I chose Thomas Sully's portrait of Thomas Jefferson for week 6. Here's a link to the original: http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/jefferson/images/vc216.jpg
My version is a 5"x7" o/c. I found it difficult to get the detail I wanted in working in this small size from a much larger painting, and mine is much softer than the original. It loses some of his strong character in the process. Never-the-less, here it is. C&C welcome.

Robert

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2006/49654-Jefferson.JPG

rosebard
02-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Source of the study
http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=1906

Study After Louis Aston Knight
The pic looks much better than in real life I suppose. Well I dont like when brushtrokes dont look neat. Maybe a will work on it somemore maybe not.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2006/54461-photos_140.jpg

tyree
02-10-2006, 07:59 PM
pushing pixels..very nice pencil studies, quite accurate!!! robert...for such a small painting you have really captured the image very well!!! rose..what a job to take on,,,the flowers and reflections are stunning...bravo!!! tyree

Nickel
02-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Robert, wow, I would like to see a larger pic of your painting! I looked at the reference, and you seem really close, I think you did a great job with the fur, wow, never really painted fur myself. Sully's portrait of Thomas Jefferson shows such great depth in the eye area, bet you had a lot of fun painting him.

Rose, nice landscape, I can't see the brushstrokes, :) , but I know what you mean. I have had my own battle with a redhead this week that is just not suiting my temperment. Sometimes they just don't turn out like we plan but your painting looks nice to me. I like the pinks and how you balanced the violet in the distance.

Nickel
02-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Hello, here is my week six, :eek:

If you can't guess who this is, then take a peek at the link. It is in the spirit of the week anyway. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2006/39040-Image006.jpg

Carbon pencil sketch, 8x6"

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14004/14004-h/images/img1_lincoln.jpg

Off to start week seven :)

Nickel
02-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Here is the link to week #7

Hope to see you there!!!:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4334141#post4334141

Fish<><
02-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Robert - Great likeness, especially for that size.
Rose - WOW! I love how soft everything looks and great job with the light!
Nickel - It's my dad! LOL My dad looks a lot like Ol' Abe. Especially when he had that same beard. hehe :) Great sketch!

tyree
02-11-2006, 11:23 PM
nickel...a lovely carbon sketch of the great man...good choice....tyree:clap: :wave:

Nickel
02-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Keith, you made me laugh! Maybe it is a good sign it looks like your Dad. He's got hair and skinny :D After you did Washington and Robert did Jefferson, well I had to throw a Lincoln in the journey!

Hi Susan thanks, he was an important man in American history for sure!!!:D

I haven't figured out how to erase so you get the boo-boos and all. I heard that is something an artist should not own, an eraser, :eek: , forces you to try the first time harder to get it right. Maybe next time I will get it all right :D

Fish<><
02-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I own an eraser, but I don't like to use it. I even use markers and pens often in my sketchbook so I am not even tempted. :) I like the rough, lively sketches you can get by keeping even the first lines there.

rosebard
02-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks Keith, Susan and Nickel!

Is that why I love graphite so much, because I can erase and work again? LOLOL

Great go on the carbon sketch Nickel.

:)

AriadneArts
02-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Forgive me if I'm being rude, but my back has had it this morning and I want to post my pic for week #6. It was ready before I had my mishap and went to the hospital, but when I got home, I couldn't find it. A dear friend had 'straightened up' my house while I was in hospital, so, of course I couldn't find it. :D Anyway, here it is. I'll be back to read the thread and comment later, when my back is up to it. Thanks everybody.

Original: A Lion Resting by Rembrandt, ca 1650-52
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2006/6306-A_Lion_Resting-Rembrandt_ca_1650-52_rz.jpg

My version: 8-1/2 x 5-1/2" graphite on sketch paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2006/6306-A_Lion_Resting_rz.jpg

Nickel
02-26-2006, 09:19 PM
My version: 8-1/2 x 5-1/2" graphite on sketch paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2006/6306-A_Lion_Resting_rz.jpg

Nice kitty, kitty, :lol:

Purr fect Eileen!

A true joy to see!

Oh, glad you found it!!!!!!!!!!Gosh I don't like anyone in my stuff. :p

And I like your kitty's face best!